Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Mihec 6.8 spc

Boolit Bub
    I don't like to crimp unless I have to. To ensure sufficent neck tension, I put my expander ball in a drill press and used 320 grit sandpaper (as suggested by Sinclair International), wrapped it around a hardwood block, and used it to turn down the expander ball so I get .0035” to .004” neck tension, as opposed to the standard .002” neck tension that size dies provide. The die maker’s just assume everyone shooting .277” bullets are shooting a bolt action. That increased neck tension allows me to skip crimping. I can then load a cast bullet out to any COAL I want, within magazine constraints. I don’t have to worry about the crimp groove location. Just Food for Thought.

Quote Originally Posted by BRP View Post
    If you could find out that would be great. Again, just ballpark. I'm sure I'm in, but before I "put my name on the list" I'd like to know if it's 6 weeks, or 6 months. Thanks for the help.
    I sent a PM to Miha, he normally gets replies in the AM about 0200 to 0300. As soon as I find anything out I'll post it if Miha doesn't.
    Last edited by 0verkill; 10-09-2011 at 03:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BRP View Post
    I don't like to crimp unless I have to. To ensure sufficent neck tension, I put my expander ball in a drill press and used 320 grit sandpaper (as suggested by Sinclair International), wrapped it around a hardwood block, and used it to turn down the expander ball so I get .0035” to .004” neck tension, as opposed to the standard .002” neck tension that size dies provide. The die maker’s just assume everyone shooting .277” bullets are shooting a bolt action. That increased neck tension allows me to skip crimping. I can then load a cast bullet out to any COAL I want, within magazine constraints. I don’t have to worry about the crimp groove location. Just Food for Thought.
    And for a bolt gun I'd be right there with you, however if you seat this boolit out to max that will fit in the mag you will run into a problem with the full diameter shoulder running into the lands and the bolt won't close. I don't believe we should compromise when we have the opportunity to design a boolit that will work perfectly in the 6.8.

Boolit Master

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

How about something like this? It runs right about 106gr with WW and is .854 inches long.

MIha still hasn't gotten back to me about a timeframe on getting these made. I know he's a busy person, I just didn't want anyone thinking I'd forgotten.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi

re: design change for seating

For my rifle, the Lee C277-125R was crimped 2.270" which is .010 shorter than the mag, and is touching (hard) the lands.

It is buried in some of my earlier testing posts somewhere, but it is a non issue. You can't design the bullet around seating depth because of different throat lengths. I seated until the bullet was touching the lands, or mag length, which ever was shorter. People with other chambers will need to seat differently.

mag length will put the lead .010 into the lands with a spec ll rifle. It will probably close fine and be pretty accurate. unloading may pull the bullet from the case unless tightly crimped. Someone with a SAMMI spec chamber would have the bullet .060 into the lands (at mag length), and it would cause trouble.

this pic http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbim...yimg&imgid=446 shows where I seated the bullet. I did not care if it was at a grove or ridge or somewhere in between. for a groove, I would have set the die to crimp into it. Since it was at a ridge, I crimped just hard enough to see the marks from the Lee Factory Crimp die on the brass. (I only use those dies for crimping rifles. I really like the collet crimping that does not put any strain on the shoulder)

My rifle is a SPCII, with .100 throat. I used a Stoney Point/Hornady case length gauge.

here is the post http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...8&postcount=40

and

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...7&postcount=31
    Last edited by morme@gte.net; 10-09-2011 at 05:03 PM.
    See me on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/matthew.c.orme. Mention castboolits and your user name if you contact me there.

Boolit Buddy
    I would try to duplicate the Lee design as closely as possible, since It proved to be pretty accurate. Any "improved" design would be a crapshoot. (and I would not want anything to do with it). From my testing, some designs that looked good gave me 12" groups. The Lee design was about .75" @ 100 yds with the load I used, and might be improved with further load testing.

Search the forum for my posts. There are some test results posted.
    See me on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/matthew.c.orme. Mention castboolits and your user name if you contact me there.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 0verkill View Post
    MIha still hasn't gotten back to me about a timeframe on getting these made. I know he's a busy person, I just didn't want anyone thinking I'd forgotten.
    pronounced zoverkill?

No, still pronounced overkill, just spelled with a zero. Overkill with an O was taken when I signed up. I put that in my sig becausen I'd missed a couple mass PM's where my handle was typed manually. Hopefully it will stick with people enough that it won't happen again.

Moonie, Miha had this to say about the bullet you posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiHec
    I have problems with round noses. If I would have exact drawing I can say more
    No word on how long it will take to get these made after we get 15 people.

PM from Miha

Re: 6.8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 0verkill
    After we get 15 orders, about how long will it take to get these moulds?

This ones should be quick - I have all prepaired just need to cut cavities

We just need to get the last few people to get these made.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 0verkill View Post
    No, still pronounced overkill, just spelled with a zero. Overkill with an O was taken when I signed up. I put that in my sig becausen I'd missed a couple mass PM's where my handle was typed manually. Hopefully it will stick with people enough that it won't happen again.

Moonie, Miha had this to say about the bullet you posted.

No word on how long it will take to get these made after we get 15 people.
    I already knew this issue. Thanks.

Boolit Master

I've decided to go with an LBT 110gr mold. I've already talked with Veral, he will design it around the cartridge and throat of my rifle rather than trying to make a boolit designed for something else work in it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    I've decided to go with an LBT 110gr mold. I've already talked with Veral, he will design it around the cartridge and throat of my rifle rather than trying to make a boolit designed for something else work in it.
    What do you have that is unique? I tried 5 or 6 different .270 cast bullets and the Lee was clearly the best performer. If I had the time I would do more testing. I'll stick with what I know that works well. Anything else is a craap shoot. If I cared a lot like you seeem to do, I would buy both and sell the poorer performer.

Some people find that a jump before hitting the lands makes a more accurate load. Up to .060 if I recall. Will your design allow for seating variations of at least .050? I have found that if you treat the bullet like a jacketed one and don't worry about where the lube grooves line up with the case mouth, you can seat for best accuracy, not for the bullet design. With my rifle and the now discontinued hornady jacketed (replaced with a canneulered design) I loaded 5 rounds with seating at .010 variations starting at touching the lands up to .060 off the lands. I was suprised at the results. I don't have my notes handy, but it is something you should try after you settle on a load.

BTT.

Moonie, any details on your bullet?

Boolit Buddy

Smile Followup to interest stated-

Yes, I am good with 6 cavity aluminum molds. Consider this a confirmed order, and payment will be made whenever requested. Thanks for the opportunity to own another fine mold by Miha!
    Chuck
    358wcf

Boolit Master
    OK, I'm in.

Ed

Sorry I've been away for a while, computer troubles.

Ed, I need a broken up email from you.

Boolit Master

I will take a mould

Johnch At refugemail dot com

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    efhaertel at embarq mail dot com (put the third and fourth words together to form one word).

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast