Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Mihec 6.8 spc

Boolit Buddy
    RATS!

I think I have a problem with a 0.278" Lyman sizing die ... I just tried it and noticed a problem. Instead of being tapered into the sizing portion of the die, this die is stepped from the opening diameter to the sizing diameter. I cannot reliably get the projectiles to center in the die when sizing them.

Looks to me like a machining step was missed in the manufacturing.

Is this a common way to construct smaller diameter sizing dies? Smallest one I have used before is a 0.308 or 0.309?

I went back and checked the brand of the sizing die ... it is an RCBS! Apparently Graf was out of Lyman dies so I bought an RCBS die.
    Last edited by mstarling; 05-16-2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: noticed brand of sizing die

I was hoping someone had an idea about the Lyman or RCBS dies cause I sure don't.

I did get to cast some day before yesterday, but still havn't put gac checks on yet. They cast beutifully (except when I got a little splatter between the halves somehow) and weighed 135 to 136 grains.

Since Morme was about the only one of us that had an original, I'd like to hear from him about accuracy and such.

Boolit Man
    I thought someone who knew what they were talking about might reply...

I've never had a Lyman o RCBS sizing die. The Lee's I have are slightly tapered. I'd think the step would make it difficult to center like you say. If you contact Lyman they might send you a new one.

I'm having trouble. It seems the splatter between my cavities was there longer than I thought. There's a bunch with shanks too large to seat a gas check on. I also bought a bunch of Sierra checks a while back and they are way smaller. I don't think any of my moulds will work with them.

Just out ofwhat diameter gas check shank and driving bands is everyone getting? Mine seem a little large.

Boolit Man
    .255, 2.81

Some of mine the check slide on ok, some don't. The ones that don't want to go on seem ok when they come out of the sizing die. This is my first time using gas checks so maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone shoot any of these yet?

RCBS still has not replaced my sizing die so I don't have any data yet!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by mstarling View Post
    RATS!

I think I have a problem with a 0.278" Lyman sizing die ... I just tried it and noticed a problem. Instead of being tapered into the sizing portion of the die, this die is stepped from the opening diameter to the sizing diameter. I cannot reliably get the projectiles to center in the die when sizing them.

Looks to me like a machining step was missed in the manufacturing.

Is this a common way to construct smaller diameter sizing dies? Smallest one I have used before is a 0.308 or 0.309?

I went back and checked the brand of the sizing die ... it is an RCBS! Apparently Graf was out of Lyman dies so I bought an RCBS die.
    You may have one of the older Lyman M45 sizer dies, which has a definite "step", as compared with the later 450 dies which have a gentle taper from "as cast" to "final" diameter. That causes a shearing action contrasted with the centering action of the later 450 dies. I have several of the older ones, along with a 45 lubricator/sizer, so.... Later (450) dies will work with the older (45)sizers, so you may have that situation and not realize it.

Boolit Mold
    Pm sent to mihec for mold.

Boolit Mold
    The mold is dropping for me 136gr with gas check and lube

sized to .278.....

White Label.... BAC

RL10X 21gr, 22gr, 23gr.........6" groups with 21gr & 10" groups with 23gr

RL7 18.5gr, 19,5gr, 20.5gr.....the best 19.5 = 4 inch group.......

The center group is a 110 BTHP load to make sure me or the gun wasn't all whacked out of joint.

I'm not clear on the COAL I needed to set the boolet, so set it at the bottom of the crimp grove...2.175

Suggestions and help welcome.....

Quote Originally Posted by cag215 View Post
    The mold is dropping for me 136gr with gas check and lube

sized to .278.....

White Label.... BAC

RL10X 21gr, 22gr, 23gr.........6" groups with 21gr & 10" groups with 23gr

RL7 18.5gr, 19,5gr, 20.5gr.....the best 19.5 = 4 inch group.......

The center group is a 110 BTHP load to make sure me or the gun wasn't all whacked out of joint.

I'm not clear on the COAL I needed to set the boolet, so set it at the bottom of the crimp grove...2.175

Suggestions and help welcome.....

cag215,
    Seems to me your COAL might not be right. I have an ARP SS Hunter 18". I load to 1.295" for my jacketed loads (Sierra Pro hunter 110gr. & Nosler Pro Comp - 115gr.).

I use PRI mags which allow a COAL of 2.300".
    Not sure how much freebore will be for this particular cast boolit.

From previous postings on the 6.8forum, it appears that the case mouth is not at the crimp groove, but just after the 2nd lube groove.

See Mormes's post #31:

http://68forums.com/forums/showthrea...t-thread/page4

Note the Lee casts.

You didn't mention (that I have found) what type of firearm you are using??

I will be posting range report(s) as soon as I get my GCs and play a bit....

Boolit Man
    I'm in for one of these. tex(number3)rd at HotelCharlieTangoCharlie dot net

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by M99SavNut View Post
    I'm in for one of these. tex(number3)rd at HotelCharlieTangoCharlie dot net
    Check here for any available molds. This is closed.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...s-nov-dec-2012

Back from the range:

I built moderate loads using Alliant Reloader 7. Start at 19.0grs. and in .1 gr increments to 21.7.
    No pressure signs. I will be building hotter loads for the next trip.
    Cast/Checked/Lubed weights came in at 132gr to 134gr. I did not grade by weight at this time.
    Next loadings will be weight graded to within 1.0 grain range.
    I sized to .278" with a Lyman 450 lubsizer. Lube is a Paraffin/beeswax/Vaseline/STP blend.
    Once fired SSA brass trimmed to .1670". Full length sizing performed by RCBS small base die.
    CCI 300 primers and Hornady gas checks. COL at 2.200" .015" off contact w/ grooves/lands for my particular chamber. See my last post regarding my ARP upper: #191.
    Due to the fact that the COL places the gas check well past the case neck, I buffered the powder with Dacron Poly fill.

I single loaded each round. I used very little crimp, but in the future I think I will try a Lee Factory Crimp to insure consistent crimp for mag feeding.

I didn't clean barrel at all during the load testing. At the end, I inspected the barrel and detected slight fouling that cleaned out easily. Some lead shavings in the chamber however. I used a Lee Universal Expanding die to slightly flare case mouth to ease loading.

Temperature was 40 degrees F. Slight cross wind at 5-10 mph. Location: Albany Rifle and Pistol Club, Shedd Oregon.
    Range: 50 yds.
    Best statistical data using a shooting Chrony:
    4 shots chronographed, 5 shot volley: 1 error.
    Lo - 1939 1-1948
    Hi - 1956 2-1949
    AV -1948 3-1939
    ES -17.07 4-1956
    SD - 6.92

Best Grouping: .91", w/ 1 flyer. 21.7grs. Reloader 7.

Lo - 2083 1 - 2083
    Hi - 2144 2 - 2121
    Av - 2117 3 - 2142
    Es - 61.08 4 - 2144 (flyer)
    Sd - 27.22 5 - 2096

As mentioned, I will be loading up a new batch of hotter loads. I expect to get toward 2400fps or more.
    I normally shoot a Sierra Pro Hunter 110 jacketed round at 2650 Average. 1 hole groups @ 100 yds.

My 18" ARP 6.8 SS Hunter keeps getting better as I shoot it more. Probably ~1000 rounds so far. It seems cast should allow me to get higher performance that jacketed.

I'm including the following information for those interested in another .270 (6.8) mould I'm playing with.

Recently I found an old Ideal/Lyman 2 cavity mould: #280 468S. For $40.00, I just couldn't resist...
    Cast WW alloyed w/ Nickel Babbitt, water quenched. It drops between 106.8 gr and 107.8gr. Checked and lubed, we are hitting 110 grains.
    I load this w/ Reloader 7. COL 2.185", .015" off grooves/lands
    Best statistical @ 25.0 gr.: 2431 fps ave. Group size 4.35" @ 50 yds.
    Best group @ 23.9gr.: 2294 fps ave. Group size 1.68" @ 50 yds

Plenty of room to push this load some more, as there were no signs of excessive pressure at the highest loads of 25.6gr.

All future load testings will utilize graded boolits. More to come.

Please work up your own loads!

"
    Last edited by pbard; 11-24-2012 at 05:44 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I grabbed one of the extras! Thx all for making this possible- nOob here!

can anyone point me towards the best sizing die for my 6.8 SPCII

thx!
    Chris

Boolit Mold
    Is this buy still open? If so I'd like to get in but, but the latest post is Nov. 2012.

Boolit Bub
    This buy is closed !! Why don't you " Honcho " another one and I will be your first customer ???? I would love one of those moulds !! Coltman !!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Man
    One of them turned up on ebay a few days ago. I thought the closing price was impressive.

Boolit Bub
    Wow .. That is impressive !! Somebody must have wanted it B A D .. I think we should start another GB for this mould ?? Any takers ?? Coltman

Quote Originally Posted by Coltman View Post
    Wow .. That is impressive !! Somebody must have wanted it B A D .. I think we should start another GB for this mould ?? Any takers ?? Coltman
    I'd take one

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast