Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxPBcastco
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Savage model 14/114, how do you like them?

Banned

Savage model 14/114, how do you like them?

I'm thinking about getting another .30-'06 and rebarreling one of my current M70s that has a junk factory barrel to .35 Whelen.

What's the poop on the Savage guns? Are all of their accuracy gimmicks really any good? (Floating bolt head, barrel nut, AccuTrigger, bedding system, etc.).

I'd like to hear from some real-world shooters before I go plunking down some Simoleons on one.

BTW, this will be, like all of my guns, a cast-only shooter.

Gear

Out of the box I've found Savage rifles to be extremely accurate. I like the AccuTrigger nearly as much as a CZ single set trigger. The barrel nut makes it easier to assemble and get perfect headspace so I think it is a good thing. Free floating the barrel and pillar bedding the action never hurt accuracy especially if you want walnut type stocks. I would not hesitate to get me another one.

I have 2 Savage model 12's, .223 & .243, a model 11 .308 pre accutrigger and a .22-250 that I built/assembled from parts, stock, stainless bbl, & stock from the .223 action. The 250 build shoots bug holes w/52gr SMK's running around 3500fps. The .308 I've had for about 10 years, zeroed it @ 100yds, 1" out of the box w/150gr Hornady sp running about 2700fps. Took 2 dear w/it and put it in the safe. Thinking about buying a .358win bbl for it & shooting cast but haven't made the jump yet. The .243 is about 3 years old, accu stock, accu trigger, blued, synthetic stock, makes a beginner look like an expert. A buddy of mine has a girlfriend that want's to go deer hunting this year so they came over to shoot some guns to see what she liked. I have a 200yd metal target and a 55gallon drum that I set 20oz pop bottles on. Started w/the 250, gave her the rundown how it worked. She's chomping @ the bit, shaking her head up & down, ready to shoot. First shot the 20oz pop bottle explodes, she's hooked. Steps up to the .243, same thing, boom, smack, rain. She's giggling like a well, girl. Want's to take the .243 home w/her, ain't happening. The 250 is my "go to" gun for varmints, crow's, or just plain fun. The .243 is a close 2nd, the .223 & .308 hardly see any use but it's not their fault. I just have too many irons in the fire & don't have time to shoot as much as I'd like too.

For what Winchesters are worth you might be more happy in the end to just sell the Winchester and get a savage and get a 35 Whelen Barrel for it.

Or cheaper still find a Stevens 200 in a long action and put a 35 Whelen barrel on it.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have had several Savage 110 style rifles, they consistantly shot well enough to keep me from buying a Remington 700 to replace them.

Most of my work with Savage bolt guns was before the Accu trigger came out. The old style trigger is tunable.

The only Accutriggers I have shot were on a .22 that one of the guys that worked for me had, and on a .17HMR that my cousin bought a few years ago. I don't really care for it, but a person could get used it with enough shots fired.

Robert

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    For what Winchesters are worth you might be more happy in the end to just sell the Winchester and get a savage and get a 35 Whelen Barrel for it.

Or cheaper still find a Stevens 200 in a long action and put a 35 Whelen barrel on it.
    Want to make an offer on mine? I can drive to your place in less than an hour!

I looked at the Shilen website a week or so ago and noticed they make pre-chambered, drop-in barrels for the Savage 14 series in some very tasty calibers, and I can order a .35 Whelen Premium Match with a 1 in 12" twist or even a 1 in 14" for $400. I can't quite see spending $1200 on one rifle plus optics and mounts though when I can spend the same money and fix my Winchester at the same time. Too bad the Savage factory .30-'06 barrel won't fit my Winchester!

Gear
    Last edited by geargnasher; 10-06-2011 at 12:05 AM.

Gear you can get a Shaw Stainless Barrel for 200.00 http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=384077 and a BOYD'S Thumb Hole stock for 100.00 For the Savage . .

This one is a Marlin XL-7 with the Shaw 35 Whelen barrel and the BOYD'S Thumb Hole stock. And if I do my part which is a blue moon lol. I can cover my group at 100 yards with less than a thumb.

And you might have seen my 358 Slow build thread but. I am starting with a Stevens 200 I got on sale for $179.95 also with a Shaw barrel and a Boyds Thumb Hole stock.

Last edited by JesterGrin_1; 10-06-2011 at 12:21 AM.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

All my Savages have shot better than I do. My last one was a .204 with accutrigger, took awhile to get used to but now I really like it..I am also going to rebarrel one of my Savage 110's in .35 whelen after the new year and am looking to get started in CB shooting. By the way that thumbhole stock is really nice looking,,,,may have to try that too,,,lol.

Airgrunt why not just send it to Jess and have it re bored?

I can say that my model 10 (.308), 11 (300wsm), 12 (22-250), 110 (30-06) and 111 (338wm) are more accurate than me. Groups less than 1" are very easy. The 10 and 12 will shoot .5" or less if I do my part. These are, sadly, with j-words as I have not really played too much with cast in them. I have been able to get plenty of 2" groups with the 30-06 and 338 at 100 yards. The 30-06 is showing some real promise with the 311284.

Jerry Jr.
    Last edited by southpaw; 11-10-2011 at 09:27 AM.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Boolit Master
    I own a Savage 14 American Classic in 7mm-08, I love it! It's accurate okay, it's also beautiful! Mounted a Leupold 4-12 on it and shot some 140 grain deer loads through it. It hits paper with a good group.

The Savages are a favorite of the target shooters who say, "They looked like they're rifled with a garden trowel but, they are accurate"! lol.

Cast Bullet Association shooters like them, and use them.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/x...adydies013.jpg
    Last edited by canyon-ghost; 11-09-2011 at 09:30 PM.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Smile

I was kind of looking forward to trying my hand at a barrell swap.

Barrel swaps are easy. If you don't have the wrench you can use a 1-1/4" box end and a couple 1/8" drill bits slid into the flats on the nut. If it's a smooth nut I think SSS sells a wrench for that, other wise a pipe wrench & a new nut.

Boolit Master

Sportsman's Guide was and possibly still do, sell Shaw barrel kits for Savage/Stevens that include wrench and headspace gauges. I bought two of them but wound up horse trading away the 338/06. I used a Stevens 200 in 300 Win I got on sale and out the dealer's door for under 300. I re-barreled it to 458. After taking the unused Stevens 300 Win Mag barrel, gauges and wrench to Ebay. I surpassed the cost of the barrel kit considerably. Took me about 5 minutes or less with a rat tail file to get the 458 to feed reliably. Ebay no longer allows rifle barrels to be listed but I imagine one could get a decent price on Gunbroker.

My 110 in 30-06 was accurate out of the box, but is extremely accurate now after a few mods. It has a Boyds laminate stock and a Rifle Basix trigger. It really likes cast bullets as you can see below. I rarely push "J" bulletts through it anymore.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bmanis View Post
    My 110 in 30-06 was accurate out of the box, but is extremely accurate now after a few mods.
    If you don't mind sharing I'm curious about the modifications.

azrednek,

Just the new trigger set at just under 2lbs and a Boyds laminate stock glass bedded to the action.

Banned

Now THIS is the good stuff! Keep it coming guys!

Gear