Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left hand bolts?

Left hand bolts?

I'm a lever gunner but am considering adding a lefty bolt to the safe some day. I owned a Rem 700 years ago but hated the 7MM Mag. I mounted a receiver sight and it never worked with the Monte Carlo stock. It didn't kick it slapped me silly!

I just read the recent Ruger 77 thread as they are a candidate. I've never been too fond of skinny barrels. Did the lefty come in the tang safety?

Any opinions on lefties welcome. What my safe is missing is a prairie deer rifle. So a mid power deer cartridge would be appropriate. Somehting common and easy to get components for. Cast friendly real important. But mostly I'm wondering about the rifles and quality.

Boolit Master

I am also a lefty. I shoot several lever guns but have several bolt guns mostly right hand bolts. The main reason is that it seems that there are times that you get into a crunch and need money and sometimes it is a firearm that has to go and I think you limit your market if you need to sell very quicklyand at the price you would want. I never considered myself handicapped by using a right hand bolt. I just made sure my first bullet went where I wanted it to go and that usually would give you plenty of time for a followup if needed. The exception would be if you are looking to hunt dangerous game then gettting a LH bolt and lots of practice to train yourself to operate the LH bolt instinctively migth be a wise choice. I was just raised when the LH bolts were not very common and got used to using what was available. There are several well made LH guns out there today and you could be well served by one of them. I would just like to keep more options open. Just my 2 cetns worth.
    gmsharps

Boolit Master

Talking

I shoot left handed as well because I am blind in my right eye.

I have many left handed rifles with most of them being Remington's.

For a hunting rifle don't let the light barrel scare you away, after all you will be carring it more then shooting it. What is important is where the first shot goes.

Banned

I'm left-handed and (fortunately) left-eye dominant too, decided to treat myself to a left-handed Winchester M70 a few years ago. Frankly, I hate it. You have to lay the rifle on it's side to see a cartridge going in or out of the chamber when shooting from a bench, and it's a pain to catch the case as it ejects, it's like being suddenly half blind.

In the field I've used bolt guns all my life and never had a problem cycling the bolt with my right hand, although it's tough to keep on target while doing so. Unless going to war with one I wouldn't really need a left-handed rifle, and even if I wanted to get "properly" proficient with the one I have in the arena of repeating shots while keeping on target it would take a lot of practice.

Gear

A couple of my mates have bought Tikka T3's and are more than happy with them.

Their's are not lefties, but are available in left hand bolts; might be worth a look.

I personally would consider .308 Win as a calibre, or 30/06 if you want a little more performance.

gmsharps you make a good point. I have one bolt, a Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine, and I love the rifle. I have 4 uncles who served in WW2, 3 carried LEs and one got carried by a Sherman for Patton.

I must admit to liking the lines of the US model Ruger Gunsite. The model they are sending up here doesn't appeal to me as much.

Still a dedicated left action has some appeal for me.

Boolit Master
    Savage makes lefthanded rifles with a top tang safety, which is really nice. So much so that I could never understand why everybody always oohed and ahhed over the Winchester Model 70 Safety, since both can be put on safe and the bolt can be cycled.

I have two LH Remington 700s, a LH Savage 110, and a Remington 788 with a LH bolt, though it is not a true lefthanded rifle. All LH Remington 788s have the ejection port on ther righthand side, regardless of which side the bolt resides.

Most lefties shrug when it comes to which side the bolt sits, but offer a most rightie sa LH rifle with which to hunt, and they think they are being horribly put upon to even consider such an outrage.

Boolit Buddy
    as a lefty who has never owned a left handed rifle and never will , i dont see the big deal i tried a lefty rifle once and frankly i found it akward to work the bolt after years of using my right hand ,.. having said that i did get to shoot a savage with a left hand load gate and right side eject i found that to be just about pefect for a single shot bolt gun
    we are soldiers we guard honor and wage war in between we wait like a stone untill our chance comes again

Boolit Master
    I don't remember ever seeing a used left handed bolt rifle. the people that own them tend to keep them. I have had a left handed remington custom stock blank for years and havent found anything to put in it. I have to shoot left handed with a rifle, but am right handed and after all the years of using right handed bolts, it would be awkward for me to use a lefty. if you are lefthanded, I suppose a left handed bolt would be a lot easier.

Banned

The thing about left-handed people is we have to cope with a right-handed world every day, and are used to having to compromise. This creates a forced versatility that most right-handed folks don't have, because they don't have to. Like Bowfin pointed out, if I hand a rightie my Winchester they'll probably be all thums and quite indignant about it. One of the few guns I can't shoot left handed is a Bullpup-stocked automatic, and I can shoot right handed just fine if I really need to.

Personally, I'd rather keep on compromising rather than get used to one bolt gun that is "correct".

By the way, isn't it really nice that Winchester and Marlin put the loading gate on the right side? I like to reload without dismounting from my shoulder or taking my firing hand off the wrist. And the SAA, well, that couldn't be more convenient for me. Might be why I have so few swing-cylinder revolvers.

Gear

Boolit Master
    Hello. My name is John and I'm a Lefty (boy it feels good to get that off my chest!). I shot right-handed bolt actions from the left shoulder for most of my life and really did not mind. I own and love a 700 BDL. But when a friend of mine offered me an Enfield I learned it did not like to feed when operated left-handed (probably my technique). So I taught myself to use the other shoulder and was surprised at how easy it was. I tried the left/right eye dominance test and couldn't tell the difference... maybe they're both bad. Anyway, that Enfield helped me learn to use either. Buy a left-hander if you can, but all is not lost if you can't find one.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm also a lefty. About the best LH rifle I ever owned was a Rem 788 in 308. Only problem was a little rattle out of the magazine, but never hurt anything.
    I have an old Savage 110DL in 30-06, and just sold a Ruger 77 MKII in 300 Win Mag. The Ruger was a really nice gun but a little heavier than what I wanted to carry now.
    I do hunt with single shots alot and with right hand bolts so no big deal.
    On the elk hunt a couple of weeks ago I had been carrying my Encore proHunter in 7mm RM and decided to switch to the Savage. Got a good shot off on an elk and wanted to put another one in it, but the second cartridge ended up sideways in the reciever! So much for the second shot. did get the elk as the first shot was a good one. Still have to sort out the problem with the Savage. Might be in the detachable magazine.
    Did find out from this experience though that I really like being able to see in the loading port of a gun with it on the right side. The Savage is on the left side.

Boolit Master
    I'm a lefty and own a few lh bolt actions. A 700 Rem in 7mm Rem Mag (restocked in the classic style). Two 788 Rem's one in .308 and one in 6mm Rem and two Savage 110's ( one long action and one short). The problem with most LH bolts is they are made only for long action cartridges (3006, 270, 7mm Mag). For the prairie deer rifle the .270 would be hard to beat.

None of the Remington rifles have a tang safety and it is no problem at all. My opinion is that the most bang for your buck is the Savage....the nicest rifle, either a Tikka or the Rem. 700.

Nope none of mine are for sale.

Rick

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    The thing about left-handed people is we have to cope with a right-handed world every day, and are used to having to compromise. This creates a forced versatility that most right-handed folks don't have, because they don't have to. Like Bowfin pointed out, if I hand a rightie my Winchester they'll probably be all thums and quite indignant about it. One of the few guns I can't shoot left handed is a Bullpup-stocked automatic, and I can shoot right handed just fine if I really need to.

Personally, I'd rather keep on compromising rather than get used to one bolt gun that is "correct".

By the way, isn't it really nice that Winchester and Marlin put the loading gate on the right side? I like to reload without dismounting from my shoulder or taking my firing hand off the wrist. And the SAA, well, that couldn't be more convenient for me. Might be why I have so few swing-cylinder revolvers.

Gear
    Well said Gear! I too am a Southpaw and have learned to cope with a right-handed world. That being said, I prefer my left handed bolts. We have three M-70 Winchester Classics in our safe. My LH .338 and a RH .243 & .308 that belong to my better half. I have hunted and taken game with hers and have not felt the least bit handicapped. I also own a LH Ruger M77 in .270 with the M-70 type safety.

As a lefty, I would prefer a tang safety but for the sake of consistancy I will stick with the 3 position located on the bolt. IMO, the tang safety would make a RH firearm more user friendly for a lefty. I like the tang safety on a Mossberg 12 guage much better than the crossbolts on a LH Rem 1100 shotgun. The tang just feels more natural to me.

Even though I am not a fan of the single action revolvers, I do find the loading gate location a plus too. After all, Sam Colt was reputed to be left-handed!

My favorite deer hunting firearm happens to be a Marlin 1894 lever and it is NICE that the loading gate works out to the advantage of us Lefties. I hate the crossbolt and have deactivated it!

Winelover

Boolit Master
    As a lefty I quit using right handed guns simply because they are dangerous. When a lefty puts a right handed bolt rifle to his shoulder the exposed part of the action is right there beside the left eye.
    Stuff happens, never blew an action, nor primer, but like I said, stuff happens. I for one will never shoot a right handed rifle again for this one simple reason.

Boolit Master

I bought a hammer the other day. I am rt handed. I took it back it said it was a Left hand hammer
    Have a paint brush and some pens like that
    I like the LH 1911 colts too

I am left handed and have shot right hand bolt guns all of my life and it has not been a big issue with me. However, I did buy a Savage left handed bolt gun a few years back. It is a great rifle, accurate and the price is right.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

All good points but sometimes a gun gets bought because it is wanted and not sensible or practical. A dedicated left hander falls into that category for me.

As a lefty mechanic I always had a little pity for my handicapped righty shop mates who couldn't wrench in a blind spot with thier left hand. One of the joys of being left handed is being prone to ambi-dexterous. I bat left, throw right, and could box with either hand leading. A strong leading left cross has surprised a few fellows.

Some internet searching has me thinking. The little CZ 527 mini mauser and the new Browning X Bolt come is minature left hand actions. A little 223 in a scaled down action might be worth considering as I don't own any long range varmint rifle. Besides I would never hunt big game without anything but a lever after thinking about it some more.

Another lefty here . I, like many others, have gone down the right handed bolt road. I did it mainly because I was fairly new to the sport and didn't know that it wasn't that hard to get a left handed gun.

One thing that is for sure is that there is a bit of a learning curve. I couldn't tell you how many times I reached for the bolt on the wrong side.

I will say that I like shooting right handed guns from the bench for the same reasons mentioned by the other posters. That is as long as it doesn't have a right handed cheek piece. They tend to hurt the cheek a little more than necessary.

I am a really big fan of savage rifles. I have not played too much with them with cast, but I have been able to get my 30-06 and 338wm to shoot 2" or a little less at 100 yards. With jacked they will all hold less than 1" at 100 yards. I guess what I am saying is I would not hesitate to buy another savage. Some of them may not be the prettiest but they sure are shooters.

Gear is right. I will bet that there are more lefties out there that can do more with their right hand than right handers can do with their left hand, "forced versatility".

Jerry Jr.

ps. now that I think of it I am more ambidextrous than anything. Bat left or right, Throw right or left, not a bad shot right handed either, eat right or left handed....
    Last edited by southpaw; 11-08-2011 at 11:09 PM.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Boolit Grand Master

When I was an apprentice at Cummins in the late 60s' the guys would also get me to start the bolts they couldn't. I do pretty well with either hand now, 9 hand surgeries helped me out there.
    I even shot a military match with my 1903a3 and had time left after the ten rounds with a reload in a minute leg.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast