WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage Model 24

Moderator Emeritus

My 22 over 20 gauge is accurate, within in 1 " @ 50 yards with a cheap chinese red dot. It does prefer some ammo over others. Mine likes the Winchester Dynapoints, I'm saving most of those, then federal bulk over remingron bulk which I will not buy any more of at all.
    Last edited by MT Gianni; 12-04-2016 at 12:27 AM.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I found one in a pawn shop for $170 in about 2008. I had never heard of such a thing, but when I was handling it, and asked the price, and he said it, I nearly tore my jeans pulling out my wallet, and I certainly didn't have the money to spare. I NEVER buy guns without researching them first, but this was a rare exception. Turned out it was a 24C "Camper" model .22LR over 20 Gauge Cylinder Bore, 20.125" barrels. Late 70's production, super cool. Hideous wood, exactly how it came from the factory. MURDEROUS recoil with 20 gauge slugs. I've built two sub-caliber adapters to shoot .38/.357 and 9mm bullets out of the shotgun barrel. This is one of the last guns I would part with, however, it's hard to shoot the .22, since there's no cheek weld with the low stock.
    I DO NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL! Why do business with people who hate you?
    Will Trade for heavy 8mm moulds, 7.92x57 brass, quick detach 1" scope rings/mounts

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    Worst gun I've ever owned.

Damn firing mechanism continually broke. Could not rely on it for even one hunt.

Great concept, wish it worked. I had a couple of 'em back in the day.
    My thoughts exactly. Will never buy another. Total piece of ****.

I've fired hundreds of rounds of .22 and at least a hundred 20 gauge rounds out of mine, and it's always worked. Fit and finish is ****, but mine works.
    I DO NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL! Why do business with people who hate you?
    Will Trade for heavy 8mm moulds, 7.92x57 brass, quick detach 1" scope rings/mounts

Boolit Master

Years ago I had a 24-V model. (.222 over 20ga.) Had to sell it at a particularly cash poor time of life. Wish I had it back. Not a really great gun but a pretty good one.

I've always liked the idea of combination guns, drillings, etc. for certain hunting situations.

Boolit Bub
    Prior to a burglary, I had a .30-30 over 20 ga that was a real prize. I put a Weaver 3-9 on it and shot 150 grain spitzers in some of the tightest groups I've every shot from a 30 caliber rifle. I doubt that whoever stole it and about five other long guns even knew what he had.

I have one that my son wants. Nothing but problems with it....even the front sight fell off.

I bought a Spartan O/U in 308/12.
    I never looked back.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    Worst gun I've ever owned.

Damn firing mechanism continually broke. Could not rely on it for even one hunt.

Great concept, wish it worked. I had a couple of 'em back in the day. Left a sour taste in my mouth about Savage arms for decades afterwards. I'm over it now, however, due to the performance of my Model 12 Long Range Precision rifle.
    Might be wrong, but I thought at one time many years ago, there was a Savage/Anschutz combination gun. It was much, much, higher quality (made by Anschutz) than the standard Savage, with a corresponding much, much, higher price.

Boolit Master
    two years ago my dad bought one in a pawnshop, it was a Stevens 22-410. it was a nice rifle, but i was shootin' it at 25yds and the target horrible, my dad said it's not the gun it's you. so i grabed my marlin 81, and shot 5 times into a dime at 25yd. he said this darn thing is for sale, we never even fired the .410, but a 410 is a 410.

I bought one in 1980, .22/20 ga. that shoots great. The only problem that I have had was the extactor/ejector for the .22 would get sticky and need some assistance to eject the spent case, beyond that it has been a joy to own.

Boolit Mold

model 24c owner 20g 22lr bad / good

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I've become rather enamored with these guns the past few years and one is available locally that I might trade something off for.

This particular one is a .22 LR over 20 gauge and handles very nicely. It seems to me like this would be a very versatile gun good for a lot of applications if the barrels shoot to the same point of impact and if I can shoot the open sights well enough for squirrel hunting. It is the cheaper, beech stocked model and has the selector lever on the hammer.

Any opinons, thoughts, experiences? I have no idea what choke is in the shotgun barrel, but assuming it's IC or modified, would the open sights allow this to be a decent slug gun (understanding that the .20 gauge Foster slugs leave a lot to be desired in the power department when compared to a 12)?
    I own the 20G / 22lr
    1st gun @15yrs old

Both firing pins had to be replaced and now the 22lr pin hits the rim as it closes, very dangerous.

from the day it left the store i had to use pliers to remove the spent 22lr casing and with much difficulty to the point i just never use that barrel because its just not worth the struggle.

when i shoot the 20 gauge often the fore stock pops off so i used a hair elastic to keep it together.

the rear elevator fell off and the replacement i got from a gun shop weebles and wobbles.

i contacted savage and all i got was a polite gfy

this gun will shoot partridge so accurately at just about any range its like u just cant miss.
    @ 45yrs its still my favourite partridge gun and wouldn't part with it.

but i'd love to fix the 22 chamber somehow. clearly it wasn't tested by savage.

I have 3 other 22's so its more my curiosity as to why it jams in there.

I had a .222/20ga that was the end of many turkeys, a few coyotes, and a deer. It always worked and was a little heavy at times. I sold it when I was offered 3X what I paid.

Boolit Mold
    ah, well that's it. The price is right

Boolit Grand Master

I installed Marble's sights on my 22mag/20ga. The rear is a "Bullseye sight" kinda like the sight on an anti aircraft gun from WWII. I had to install the front sight backwards due to length, but is a fiber optic. It looks good but still have to fire it with the new sights. The sight picture is much improved and can see them even with my old eyes.
    Last edited by leadman; 12-06-2016 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    I installed Williams sights on my 22mag/20ga. The rear is a "Bullseye sight" kinda like the sight on an anti aircraft gun from WWII. I had to install the front sight backwards due to length, but is a fiber optic. It looks good but still have to fire it with the new sights. The sight picture is much improved and can see them even with my old eyes.
    Are you sure its a Williams sight? I have the same thing but made by Marbles.

My Dad has the .22mag/20ga combo. Wont part with it for any price. Taken many groundhogs. Has a Bushnell scope on it and shoots very accurately and reliably, and has done so for almost 50 years. Pretty sure its a mod sixties model. Its the deluxe model with the etched animal scene.

In the several years since my reply to the OP here, I found a new/different O/U combination gun alternative to a Savage 24, AND at a very reasonable price ($300/new).

It's a Chiappa Double Badger, my version a .22WRM over .410.

I tote it around in a AR case

I find mine to be accurate & reliable, over the past 18mos.

I use it with buckshot in the shot barrel, for calling predators (foxes/coyotes, hereabouts).

The rifle & shot barrels shoot close enough together @ 30yds (my usual shooting distance, where I usually call predators) to be effective/

Chiappa is building lots of neat guns.

Boolit Grand Master

It is a Marble's rear sight not a Williams. CRS!