RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage Model 24

Banned

Savage Model 24

I've become rather enamored with these guns the past few years and one is available locally that I might trade something off for.

This particular one is a .22 LR over 20 gauge and handles very nicely. It seems to me like this would be a very versatile gun good for a lot of applications if the barrels shoot to the same point of impact and if I can shoot the open sights well enough for squirrel hunting. It is the cheaper, beech stocked model and has the selector lever on the hammer.

Any opinons, thoughts, experiences? I have no idea what choke is in the shotgun barrel, but assuming it's IC or modified, would the open sights allow this to be a decent slug gun (understanding that the .20 gauge Foster slugs leave a lot to be desired in the power department when compared to a 12)?

In Remebrance

Williams makes a recvr sight for the 24. I have to mount the one I bought on my 22/410. In the slug line, there are a lot of newer slugs that are supposed to be the cats. Might look into them. But, FWIW, a 20 Foster type slug will bring home the venison just fine.

Banned

I think I'm going to sell or trade off something I'm not shooting and get this one. I've always liked the idea and thought that .22 over 20 and .30-30 over 12 were the best ideas. Lately, I'm really liking the idea of multifunctional guns.

Are there any things to watch for on these? This one was missing the front sight, but that's an easy fix, otherwise it seemed fine.

Boolit Master

the extractor was the weak point they were not fit real good and the metal was soft
    the 22LR shouldnt be problem but have seen a couple 222s that had to be replaced

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shotman View Post
    the extractor was the weak point they were not fit real good and the metal was soft
    the 22LR shouldnt be problem but have seen a couple 222s that had to be replaced
    Would that have anything to do with it being for a rimless case? I still can't seem to get my head around a single shot in a rimless cartridge, but I know they seem to make it work in many now.

Worst gun I've ever owned.

Damn firing mechanism continually broke. Could not rely on it for even one hunt.

Great concept, wish it worked. I had a couple of 'em back in the day. Left a sour taste in my mouth about Savage arms for decades afterwards. I'm over it now, however, due to the performance of my Model 12 Long Range Precision rifle.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Boolit Buddy

Savage Combination Guns

I owed a couple of the o/u the years both in the DeLuxe in .22LR/20ga & one in .22 Mag/20 ga. No problem with firing- accuracy with the right rimfire ammo was good fro small game. Did not pattern either 20 ga. Darn sold both sometime ago.
    I would not be afraid to own one and use for hunting. Buy one in excellent shape.
    I noticed the DL are selling for $ 500-600.

In Remebrance

August, there was a period where many of the 24's seemed to be less than well put together. I fixed a lot of them, lots of firing pin issues, regulation issues and buttstock issues. Never ahd a problem with the older, early 60's on back 22-410's, but the early 22 Hornet era models, maybe from the early 70's or so, seemed to have the most problems.

I've known anyone who bought one of these brand new, every one I ever saw was bought used.

The only problem I've had with my 24.........

Was, when cocking the hammer, It's Very easy to select the 22 barrel, not the shotgun barrel, like i wanted.

Mine shoots (22 over 20 gauge) Quick Shok 22's and #4 buck to the same point of aim at 50 yards. Since I use this as my close in Varmint rifle, it suits me fine. Be aware they are heavy, If you carry lots and shoot little.

Good Shooting,
    TwoTrees

"Hold my beer and watch this!!"

Every 22/20ga I've ever seen had a Full Choke shotgun bbl, except for the 24-C Camper, with the ammo storage under the BP.

The RF extractors are simply, spring-loaded chunks that slide back as the barrel(s) are opened - so be sure to keep the little extractor rod channel flushed/cleaned/oiled.

Savage switched from the barrel side selector to the hammer nose selector in the mid-70's and supplied them when owners of older guns broke a side selector slide.

I've found the most accurate RF models to be older ones with both barrels welded together, full length, ILO separated bbls.

They are one of the lightest/best combination guns economically available to US hunters.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

In Remebrance

Backin the early 80's Savage had the 24 and they also carried an imported line of O/U combo guns. I think they were Valmet, but I could be wrong. I saw a couple back in the day and my lust was pretty strong. IIRC the one I wanted was a 308/20 ga. Of course they cost some ridiculous price like $400.00 or something, more than a brand new 99 which was hovering around $175.00 at the time IIRC. $400.00 would buy 4-6 complete sets of tires, put a roof on your house or cover a complete rebuild on an engine and then some.

Times change.

Boolit Grand Master

My first gun was a 22lr over 410. Had the side selector which broke. I brazed it back together and added some extra brass and it never broke again.
    I now have and old 22mag over 20ga.. This one has the selector on the hammer and I have had no problems. The choke is full, both barrels shoot close to point of aim.
    I had the peep sight on it for awhile long ago before the eyes went. Took it off an sold it, wish I had it back now.
    Used the 22mag/20ga alot for quail, rabbits, squirrels, turkey, and jacks. Not the best for quail, but worked.
    I put an adapter base to go from the groove for the scope to Weaver style and installed one of those cheap red dot sights like the Burris Fast-Fire. Have shot it at the range and works good. Haven't used it hunting but will soon.
    Would make a great truck gun. Been thinking of getting an MCA adapter to shoot 38special or something like it out of the 20ga.

Boolit Master
    I had a .22 Hornet/20 ga., very versatile - - - - sold it Dang it.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Banned

Thanks for all the input, I'll be swinging by that shop in the next week, think I'm gonna do some dealing with them.

Boolit Master

My 357/20 ga is very accurate with open sights and is a lot of fun to shoot. I also have a 222/20 that has been reamed out for 223 on the top and it is also a great little carrying rifle. I say go for it!

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    My first gun was a 22lr over 410. Had the side selector which broke. I brazed it back together and added some extra brass and it never broke again.
    I now have and old 22mag over 20ga.. This one has the selector on the hammer and I have had no problems. The choke is full, both barrels shoot close to point of aim.
    I had the peep sight on it for awhile long ago before the eyes went. Took it off an sold it, wish I had it back now.
    Used the 22mag/20ga alot for quail, rabbits, squirrels, turkey, and jacks. Not the best for quail, but worked.
    I put an adapter base to go from the groove for the scope to Weaver style and installed one of those cheap red dot sights like the Burris Fast-Fire. Have shot it at the range and works good. Haven't used it hunting but will soon.
    Would make a great truck gun. Been thinking of getting an MCA adapter to shoot 38special or something like it out of the 20ga.
    My Dad did the very same thing to ours. I lost track of that gun but found our my next youngest brother has it now. It was the only gun my maternal grandfather ever owned, he went hunting once and that was the only time the gun was ever used, till his daughter married a gun nut!

Boolit Master
    I've got one of the 24C's in .22/20ga. The 20ga. barrel definitely does not shoot to the sights with slugs in mine. It shoots extremely low, can't remember how much. I carry mine on a gunrack on my Polaris Ranger. I've killed many rattlesnakes with it as it's the gun I usually have with me. I inherited this gun from my father-in-law about 30 yrs ago and it's never given trouble except for failure to extract due to neglect on my part. It has seperate barrels and the hammer selector.

Banned

For those of you with rimfire variants, what's the accuracy of the .22 like (the open sights will be the weak point for me). Seems to me like nearly any .22 rifle will shoot better than most of us can, I would guess these are no exception. I'd like to be able to hit squirrels with it with some degree of consistency.

Boolit Grand Master

I could hit rabbits up to about 75 yards consistently with both of mine. The older 22LR seemed to be more accurate, or was it because I was 20 years younger?

Banned

Well, my usual squirrel hunting is sure a lot closer than that, but I like to hit them in the head when I can. Guess I'll have to get one and try it out.

Oddly enough, was out window shopping today and another local shop had three of them, two were .22 over .410 and the last .22 over 20. This one was considerably higher priced than the other place though and I don't have much desire for a .410.