Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casting inside...

Casting inside...

Just curious, with the weather starting to turn colder now how many if any cast inside the house. I do not have any other place to setup shop for casting when the weather turns, other then my basement.

Anyone else? What are the safety concerns other then fire of course.

Banned

whitewolf68

I have had a lot larger casting setups than I have now in my apartment, I am 61 and casting boolits since age 7. In good weather I cast on the small balcony open porch of my apartment. I cast in my kitchen in cold or rainy weather. Look at the photo and see the double fan in my kitchen window with my casting setup directly below. This blows fluxing smoke right out and my apartment does not get stinky from casting.

I keep it simple. My alloy ingots, scale, other melting pots and mold collection are stored in my hobby cabinet 2 rooms away. This casting stuff goes in a Rubbermaid Tote and the utility table has a table cloth and plants on it in another room when I am not casting.

Gary
    Last edited by onondaga; 09-27-2011 at 02:28 AM.

Back in the 80's I use to cast in my basement I had over head oven vent fan that I used to vent the smoke and the smell outside. I would not do any smelting inside because that can be pretty smoky and stinky.
    Judan

Boolit Master
    For me, this is casting season. It's still a little warm out. I prefer it in the 60's to cast.

Moderator Emeritus

although I am fairly new to casting...18 months so far.
    I cast inside year round.
    I own a 90 year old duplex, this is the upstairs Kitchen...now casting room.
    I plan to install a kitchen range hood/fan/vent
    as this is near the range electrical outlet,
    so it should have that anyway.

Right now, with the small fan and window cracked,
    I get most of the flux smoke out and
    I avoid smelly fluxes, mostly I use a wooden stick
    and Patmarlin's CFF... BTW, I was skeptical of CFF when I first heard of it,
    But Pat sent my Checkmaker Dies packed in a free sample of CFF...now I'm hooked.
    also, I try to only use alloys that I know have been
    well fluxed during outdoor smelting.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    I found a stove/rangetop hooded fan & light fixture at a yard sale. Built a three sided enclosure to hold it just above my Lee pot. Fiddled with the height so my eye level worked and ran a vent tube outside. Works like a champ. The added light right at my work area was a bonus. It's rather like an old chemical hood.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Other than smoke from the flux or dirt on the lead, don't worry about it. If you're worrying about 'lead fumes' that is. The temp you need to get lead to to have it start giving off gas is above what you're likely to be casting at.

That said, when cutting the sprue small amounts of lead dust might become airborn, so the fan is a good idea.

Boolit Master

I do my casting indoors in the basement in month of Febuary , i have a squirrel cage fan in a cast aluminum housing with a flexable exhaust pipe attached to the fan housing inlet , a hood made by a furnance installer buddy to fit over the pot. area . the assy is mounted to a piece of plywood to fit the window opening . This has worked excellent for me . for over 30 years and with well over 300,000 bullets made . and every few years i get my blood checked for lead and im allways good .

WOW, I love all the responses. I guess I will have to setup shop in the basement so I can keep going. My only issue is now how to vent. I have glass block windows, I guess I'll have to see what I can come up with.

Makes me feel a lot better knowing that I a in good company here.

Thank you all.

Wolfie
    Last edited by whitewolf68; 09-27-2011 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by whitewolf68 View Post
    My only issue is now how to vent. I have glass block windows, I guess I'll have to see what I can come up with.

Wolfie
    Can you cut in a clothes dryer vent through the wall and duct it up to a fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Ziptar View Post
    Can you cut in a clothes dryer vent through the wall and duct it up to a fan?
    That I doubt. It is a brick house. I might be able to connect in with the clothes dryer vent in the other room if I have too...

Boolit Master

I cast in my enclosed garage year round. I have a kitchen exhaust fan above my casting area, to remove smoke form the fluxing. Does an OK enough job. Don't do melting of WW's becuase the fumes are just way to bad. Especially the Stick ons..... Do that with a nice breeze going. You only have to concern yourself with lead fumes as most pots don't produce the 3000 plus degrees F that are need to vaporize the lead. Been casting indoors for close to a year and my Doctor just tested my lead levels, 3.8, said anything below 10 is normal. More than anything, get something together you can use to get the smell and smoke out to keep the wife happy.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

I cast in my "shed" year round. I have two fans I use; one 6" clip on is aimed across the top (about 6" above) of the pot, right to left, to divert any smoke, etc from my face. When I flux and get too much smoke I'll turn on my 12" that sits to the left of the pot and direct the smoke out the door...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I cast in an 8ft x 8ft shed. It is the same shed I reload and clean guns in. I do all my casting and lubrsizing from the first of October to the end of February. I have a bathroom fan mounted with a vent ouside the shed. It pulls all the smoke and smell outside. The build ing has just enough cracks in it to let in enough fresh air yet stay warm enough to get my jobs done.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Ive been casting infront of my garage all summer a little to a lot at a time. now I have about 2,000 rds of .40 and a 1,000 rds of 9mm. I well cast till it gets cold then I should have anuff to go through the winter months. I dont shoot as much in the winter.
    Yes my grandma wears combat boots. But remember her carry weapon is a Ruger .454

Boolit Master
    I cast in my garage, my casting setup is in my shop, shop is ac'd for summer and wood burner for winter.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Just got done casting a couple hundred boolits in the basement with no problems with fumes or the wife. Was much easier indoors and with a lee bottom pour pot. Wow did that ever make a difference.

During fluxing I just turn a small fan on to dissipate the smoke. =)

Boolit Master
    Worst Case Scenario: there are worse things to die from...

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sharpshooter View Post
    Worst Case Scenario: there are worse things to die from...

Rich
    You trying to tell me something Rich??