MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Mexican Mauser Stock?

Boolit Master

Mexican Mauser Stock?

Hi guys.

I am working on a project mexican mauser and am looking for a replacement stock. I would prefer a wood commercial replacement, but looking for anything usable, really. Anyone have anything used lying around that they could part with?
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

There were two different Mexican Mausers. One made in Germany and other other made in Mexico and they are not quite the same.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Mine is a Mexico "De Armas" mauser in 7x57. Well, I think it is mexican mexican any way. How do you tell the difference? Is one stamped Germany, or something? Mauser identification and aspects were never part of my main interests until of late.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Grand Master

The Sportsman's quide has some Mauser parts, including stocks that might be what you are looking for.
    There is another thread here that The Dutchman started that identifies the differences in the actions and markings.

Boolit Master
    Excellent. Thanks for the heads up on the thread. I will give it a lookover at least to educate myself.

Boolit Buddy
    Whoops, wrong thread...pls ignore...

Boolit Master
    the mexican mauser has the eagle on a cactus clutching a snake for the receiver crest. cocks on opening and has the 3rd safety lug. shorter than the 98, small ring receiver. if it cocks on closing and no 3rd lug it's a 93, 94, 0r 95. all small ring. the yugoslav might fit but it is a large ring

Mexican Mausers were manufactured by DWM, FN and in the 20`s or 30`s by the Fabrica Nacional de Armas. All the Mexican Mauser Variants have the national crest on the receiver and a date. 1902-1909 Must be DWM manufacture, 1910 1924 Most are FN, 1930.......1954 are Mexican Manufacture. Most of them are 7 x 57, late models were rebarreled to 30-06.

Most Mexican actions are small ring.

[QUOTE=x101airborne;1409328] ....... working on a project mexican mauser and am looking for a replacement stock ...... QUOTE]

A bit like asking for a car body to fit your engine .......

Do you KNOW what model Mex you are working with?

If not, start w/ an ID search.

Quote Originally Posted by tadeus View Post
    Mexican Mausers were manufactured by DWM, FN and in the 20`s or 30`s by the Fabrica Nacional de Armas. All the Mexican Mauser Variants have the national crest on the receiver and a date. 1902-1909 Must be DWM manufacture, 1910 1924 Most are FN, 1930.......1954 are Mexican Manufacture. Most of them are 7 x 57, late models were rebarreled to 30-06.

Most Mexican actions are small ring.
    Just to ad some precision to my previous comment:

Model of 1924 made by FN

Model of 1936 Made by Fabrica Nacional de Armas in Mexico City.

Boolit Master

Found this old thread as I recently dug out three 1910 90% completed barreled actions I had squirreled away 20 years ago -- long story. They were barreled by a guy named Brian Sipe if I remember correctly, used to be known as "The Montana Rifleman" and he sold his business and it bacame Montana Rifle Company.

SOOOOO, almost done moving into my new shop at home and am looking to put stocks on these. Back in mid 90's the internet was a fledgling thing and almost nobody could semi-inlet for this not large ring and not small ring Mauser although I did manage to get a guy to do a nice walnut semi-inlet in Walnut for me, still have it but I need two more......it's STILL darn hard to find a stock for these wonderful old actions which, by the way, I just about had a heart attack when I looked a gunbroker and found out they sell at astronomical price compared to what I was paying back in the day. I was buying by the dozen, numbers matching, for.....$75/each.

OK sorry for being long winded BUT, Richards Micro-Fit is the ONLY place that semi-inlets for this action and they have some wild styles.

Anyone have anything good, bad, or indifferent to say about Richards? I've got a call into them and am waiting for a call back now.

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

I've used 3 Richards stocks. Two I bought as seconds and fixed the problems and got higher grade wood for a bargain. These went on an 03A3 Remington and a custom P14 .450 Marlin. The third was a straight grain economy grade and no problems with it on a 96 Swede.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In Remembrance

Three stocks come to mind that I`ve gotten from them, (2) 1917 U.S. Enfields for my .338/06 itch and a stock for an 03-A3 that was left in `06. I went triple `A` grade for the Enfields and a number 2 circassian walnut on the `06. If I were still doing stock work I`d go to them again.Robert

Quote Originally Posted by x101airborne View Post
    Mine is a Mexico "De Armas" mauser in 7x57. Well, I think it is mexican mexican any way. How do you tell the difference? Is one stamped Germany, or something? Mauser identification and aspects were never part of my main interests until of late.
    You looking for an original or a sporter? If its a small ring 98 Model 1910, it uses the same basic stock at a 93-96. The tang is slightly different, but this hasn't been an issue for me.

Boolit Master

Go over to mausercentral.net and PM Dave ( inthe10ring ). He has stocks and specializes in Mausers. Good guy to deal with.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Buddy
    If it is the small ring 1910 or 1936 action any 1893 or 1895 pre-cut sporter stock can be made to work. The magazines are the same length. You'll need to do some additional inletting in the rear tang area.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the responses guys, I will certainly go to Mauser Central and try that. After getting excited, ordering two stocks from Richards I got a call back and they told me that they did stocks for '96's and '98's but the call for Mex Mausers was so slim they hadn't done one in forever and sorry couldn't help me....

If anyone has a source for these please let me know. Deadeye Bly thank you I have fit a Mex to a 96 stock before it just wasn't pretty and I'm looking for fairly correct inletting this time and yes they are all three 1910-1936.

Thank you all, will continue the search!

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell