MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: 25 stevens rimfire

Boolit Master
    Sadly, at this time I can only drool over That Offer.
    Chev. William

Boolit Mold
    I found a way to make primed .25 rimfire cases. I bought a box of .17 Winchester Super Magnum. Pulled the bullets and dumped the powder. Cut the cases as close to the shoulder as I could with a tubing cutter (a lathe would probably work better). Inside reamed the folded inside rim the tubing cutter leaves. Then trimmed to the length of the shortest case. It longer than a .25RF short but shorter than a .25RF long. The cases fit perfectly in my Stevens .25RF pistol. Loaded with pyrodex and .25ACP 50 gr bullets. About 700 fps. Don't know about accuracy. If you "refine" this process let me know. Thanks

The idea of converting .17 WSM has been around for a while. I finally worked out a way to anneal the case mouths without setting off the primer, so they can be expanded without 90% of them splitting, but then discovered that the .17 WSM rim is too thick/hard for any of my boys' rifles to fire. Bought a Model 44 which has a much stronger hammer blow, but health ain't doing me any favors of late, so despite having 50+ full length cases ready to load way back in March, I haven't done it.

I've never understood why there ever was a .25 RF Short. Nobody ever chambered a gun for them, and the unsupported leap through the chamber from case mouth to rifling leade in a standard gun cannot have done anything good for accuracy. Stevens did not approve of their use in any of their guns.

Meanwhile I'm doing a little experimenting with breech-seating a bullet and using .27 Ramset loads as the propellant. My boys' rifles will fire those, but getting them into the Favorite without having them slip behind the extractor is a PITA, because they're so short. The experimenting is focused on tools to get them into (and out of) the gun with a minimum of cussing.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    .27 PTL body length is definitely short compared to .25 Stevens cases, somewhat like a Short it seems.

perhaps partially closing the action so the extractor/ejector is against the breech instead of out away from it would ease getting the PTL in position properly.

I wonder if the simple extractor would be easier to use with PTL than the snap acting Combination Extractor/Ejector?

Alternatively, perhaps a custom tool to hold the rim/head of the PTL while slipping the body into the breech would be useful.
    perhaps a section of rectangular cross section brass tubing could be found to fit the rim, then one long side cut away enough to allow the body to enter the end sideways, so the rim and base is held with slight tension.
    Another Idea is a pair of needle nose small pliers with a semicircular groove dut across both jaw tips so a case could be easily held without slipping?
    Chev. William

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456