RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: New caster just starting

Boolit Mold

New caster just starting

Well, I've been a lurker for several days and had one post that from which I received some very helpful replies. As I stated in that post, I have access to old lead water pipe and get it when it is replaced with new plastic. I started on my smallest batch- about a half of a 5 gallon bucket cut into 3-4 in sections. After skimming the junk off of the top, I used a muffin pan to cast my Pb ingots. I got 32 ingots from this batch. Now I get to start on the next set. I have approx. a half ton- maybe a lot more to smelt, clean and cast ingots. I'm in the process of doing that tedious job and still looking for equipment. I decided on the Cabine Tree tester. I'm also looking for a good thermometer, slug mold and the 18 cavity "00" buck mold. I played with the neighbors two hole .40 cal round ball mold and didn't have much luck. I think the smaller sprue hole had something to do with it. Anyway, I started the journey and am hooked already. I'm looking forward to the alloying, testing,and finally the shooting. I'm so glad I found this site, I have learned so much and learned how much I didn't know. Thanks for all the info to everyone and hopefully I'll finally get to start firing my own casts soon!

Welcome to the addiction! As you said, there are many great and helpful people on this site, just waiting to share their knowledge. I too am a relative newbie at casting and still have tons to learn.

There are a couple vendors here that can fix you up with most of what you need, and others that might be looking to part with something you want. Swede Nelson (NOE) offers a great little lead pot thermometer at a very reasonable price. He is also one of the custom mould makers that has an excellent reputation already.

So much to learn, so little time to do it in.

Happy casting!

Boolit Master

Welcome ! keep reading posts & asking questions ! Im sure we will have you casting quality bullets in short order." the only dumb question is the one you dont ask"

Boolit Mold
    I started casting with pure lead pipe myself back when i was a plumber. With round balls and slugs I found a little bit of tin and a lot of heat in the alloy and mold make things run smoother. Normaly I would throw a soldered joint into every 10# or so. Not such a scientific process for me.

Banned

kc8npm

The soft pure lead you have works great muzzleloading round balls and various muzzle loading conical boolits. It also works great for Shotgun slugs. It will work for Buckshot but you would likely prefer buckshot to be harder.

Casting with pure lead takes plenty of heat and 775-800 is usual to get detail. colorful oxides form on pure lead at those temperatures so a bottom pour pot is helpful with saw dust on the top of the melt or you end up continually skimming if you ladle.

If you will be casting boolits for center-fire pistols and rifles then alloying your metal to your applications will be needed. Something like 'Superhard" from Rotometals or Linotype will provide the antimony and tin to harden your alloys. There is plenty information on formulas here on this board to get started. It is just a little math and you can get very close to the harnesses you desire.

With all the money you have saved in your supply of plumbing lead the hardening alloys you need will cost you something to use the soft lead. You may find someone willing to trade for some Linotype also.

Get acquainted with what alloys you will be casting in to estimate your need for ingredients to harden before you buy stuff.

IS KC8NPM your Amateur Radio Call sign? _.. . N2EQS

Gary

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    KC, you will enjoy your casting experiences if all the steps are done properly. May I off the following:
    * Thermometer: The Best ... http://www.teltru.com/p-272-big-gree...degrees-f.aspx
    How To Cast- good reference ... http://www.longrangebpcr.com/8Phases.htm

I played with the neighbors two hole .40 cal round ball mold and didn't have much luck. I think the smaller sprue hole had something to do with it.
    Nope, small sprue hole is not an issue. Some simple steps to making excellent bullets:
    * Clean the mold thoroughly with Brake Cleaner
    * Flux the ingots in the casting pot
    * Heat the melt and the mold up to temperature so the sprue puddle frosts in 8-10 seconds when casting
    * Use a ladle to pour with. You need a good head pressure when you pour. So, make sure the ladle spout is firming in the sprue hole and pour from a FULL ladle for 5 seconds

Do each of these steps and you will have quality bullets. Don't do each of the steps and you will have bullets that are not filled out and wrinkled
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

kc - Funny, cause I can see you're getting hooked already.. Take the time to read a lot here. You could easily spend weeks. Also try the "From Ingot to Target" on the LASC site. Great reading. enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Mold
    I'm one step ahead of the recommendation on the "From Ingot to Target" I downloaded it, printed it and it's my nightly reading after I get away from the smelting and out of my loading room. I never would have imagined that there is so much that goes into the design of a bullet! I am in chapter 9 right now. Fascinating read! Again I have learned so much from this site and the links contained herein- I'm definitely hooked. Now I just can't figure out which way to go next. I'm leaning toward 00 buck. 45-70 is definitely on the horizon. Only problem is I'll have to buy a Marlin 1895G to shoot it! : ) I just have to balance the time casting with the ham radio, onandaga, yes kc8npm is my call. Anyway I'll keep reading and learning. I have a friend wanting to learn to reload. I think I can get him and his wife into casting too. I'll try to get some pics of my setup and my first .45 posted. It's not perfect, but I'm a proud papa none the less. Thanks again- Les ----Apologies if I've drifted too far off topic.