WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How are the Ruger 77/357's shooting?

Boolit Master

Well, I finally got my 77/357 last Tuesday. I have mounted a Bushnell LER 3X9 and bore sighted it. I also put a 6 to 9 inch bipod and a sling on it. However, I have not been able to get to the range to try it out, yet. Plan on going Friday, (tomorrow).

As I tend to batch load my ammo, I have a generous supply of various and sundry 357 and 38 loads to try. I hope to be able to let you know how the rifle shoots by late Friday evening. I really do like just about everything about this rifle. The trigger is going to require some smoothing, but that will have to wait until at least Saturday.
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Joe View Post
    Yup, versatility is the spice of life. I'll probably get one anyway but would prefer it to be a Max.. Or get it reamed.
    What are you going to do with the magazine - tough to stretch it - so it'll be a single shot in 357 Max.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    What are you going to do with the magazine - tough to stretch it - so it'll be a single shot in 357 Max.
    Why not try that Dan Wesson slightly stretched 357? That might fit, but I think properly loaded in a bolt rifle, you could get some serious perfrormance, recoil and noise out of a 357 Mag!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Dear Ruger:

Please make this rifle in .357 MAXIMUM and I'll probably buy one.
    Ditto!!

I was thinking of getting one for hunting and shtf gun. So what is the going price for one of these?

Boolit Master

I meant to get back with a report on my new 77/357 last Friday evening, but my internet router was down. Just replaced the router and got everything set back up.

I got to shoot my new rifle with a selection of factory and reloads in both 38 and 357. Initial results were promising, however, the only range open was 50 yards. So I shot about 400 rounds just to break in the rifle and get the scope dialed in.

The 38 specials shot very well with 158 grain factory jhp ammo, tending to clover leaf all five rounds. Even the old 158 grain factory lead round nose ammo shot well. My 158 grain lead SWC ammo (several loads with Unique and 231) also showed promise but did not shoot as well as the JHP. The 148 grain WC did not feed from the magazine, but did display some very good accuracy.

The 357 ammo did well. The best load was a Speer 160 grain soft point pushed by 16.5 grains of H110. These grouped one on top of the other.
    The 158 grain LSWC with 14.5 grains of H110 did not group near as well. The various and sundry factory 357 I took to the range also seemed to group very well.

My overall impressions were that the gun was excellent in quality and accuracy. I did a trigger job on Saturday, replacing the trigger return spring with a much lighter one and stoning the trigger, sear and bolt. I now have an excellent trigger that is a very crisp 3 pounds (estimated). The magazine was jamming so I broke it down and polished some burrs and rewound the spring to give it a bit more tension. Hopefully it will cease with the jams. I also used JB Bore Paste to smooth the barrel to see if that would aid the lead bullet accuracy some. I also exchanged the 3X9 Bushnell for a 1.5 X 4 Bushnell. (the difference being the parallax setting). Can't wait to get back to the range to try out some different 357 loads.
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Boolit Master
    Hi guys, what is the length (internal) of the magazine?
    It will be a while before we can get these rifles up here in Canada.

Boolit Mold
    Hi All

How are these 77/357 rifles going?

Has anyone tried one of the MiHec hollow point boolits in these?

I am very keen on getting one but they do get mixed reviews.
    They are both expensive and rare in Australia.

Thanks

Spaceball

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceball View Post
    Hi All

How are these 77/357 rifles going?

Has anyone tried one of the MiHec hollow point boolits in these?

I am very keen on getting one but they do get mixed reviews.
    They are both expensive and rare in Australia.

Thanks

Spaceball
    I have only seen one 44Mag version,my mate bought it and it almost cost as much as two Ruger Americans or about $100 less than a Hawkeye. He reckons it shot all right, but hit me up for some 44Special brass. I reckoned he should have waited for a 357, but the money was burning a hole in his pocket and there were no 357s about, lol.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Frosted Boolits

Any more range reports on these? Just curious because I have one coming in.Thanks!
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

I saw an ad from Noia, the importer for Australia in a gun mag. They state that they are now available in Australia. About time, lol. The picture showed a SS version with camo stock.

It seems the more I shoot mine the better it shoots. 1/2" marbles at 50 yards and golf balls at 100 yards is no problem with the NOE 360-180 Boolit and 10B101 powder and homemade checks. You will really like it,

Boolit Master
    bringing this back from the dead I have a NOE 360-180 GC on the way itching to get a good 77/357 load worked up would be nice if I can use the same load in my gp100

Boolit Master
    I still haven't gotten a load worked up for mine yet but do have the mould and have some boolits cast up.

Boolit Man
    Mica, I have a gun on the way and have been casting the NOE 360-180 bullet. Will try the bullet sized to .358" in my Martini in the mean tome. Read an interesting article that recommends 4.3 grains of Bullseye with this bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    I have only seen one 44Mag version,my mate bought it and it almost cost as much as two Ruger Americans or about $100 less than a Hawkeye. He reckons it shot all right, but hit me up for some 44Special brass. I reckoned he should have waited for a 357, but the money was burning a hole in his pocket and there were no 357s about, lol.
    FFOD/Mick: I personally would be inclined to do a .44 version simply because I have .44 everything and .357 nothing. Also since I have a .44 Marlin and have a pretty good idea of what that cartridge will do in a rifle, the R77/44 seems like it would be a more useful gun for me and an excellent candidate for a Red Dot sight installation which would make the gun a real fast brush gun.

I know my 260 gr SWC's knock down a 55 lb Steel Ram at 200 meters with "authority!" When I can connect. 50 meter Chickens go flying.

I see these guns as being ideal Heavy Forrest Guns where rain is a factor and shots are under 100 yards.

If you had .357 everything already then obviously that could be the way to go.

I was told by Brian Pearce that the more you shoot these guns the better they get, and breaking the barrel in properly is the key to great accuracy. But a steady diet of Cast Boolits would also eventually break the barrel in as well, and would be a lot more fun.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 03-18-2016 at 05:23 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelor View Post
    Mica, I have a gun on the way and have been casting the NOE 360-180 bullet. Will try the bullet sized to .358" in my Martini in the mean tome. Read an interesting article that recommends 4.3 grains of Bullseye with this bullet.
    I have a handful of NOE 360-180 powder coated and sized .358 as that is all the fatter my cylinder will take in the gp100 and my sp101, they are sitting on top of 13.5 grains of h110
    Won't get to shoot it for a while, I've been told I can go up to 15 grains but might be kinda stout in the hand guns also may try to load up some with Lil gun.

I love Mine. It is now one of my favorites. It shoots cast boolits great and kills deer just fine.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	936937_3042044066938_295814530_n.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	164166Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10734009_4815929812973_1105501552257513973_n.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	164167Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10645320_4812535088107_770079237092621986_n.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	164168Click image for larger version. 

Name:	942623_3041991825632_1917038024_n.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	164165
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!
    Will kill for food!

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    FFOD/Mick: I personally would be inclined to do a .44 version simply because I have .44 everything and .357 nothing. Also since I have a .44 Marlin and have a pretty good idea of what that cartridge will do in a rifle, the R77/44 seems like it would be a more useful gun for me and an excellent candidate for a Red Dot sight installation which would make the gun a real fast brush gun.

I know my 260 gr SWC's knock down a 55 lb Steel Ram at 200 meters with "authority!" When I can connect. 50 meter Chickens go flying.

I see these guns as being ideal Heavy Forrest Guns where rain is a factor and shots are under 100 yards.

If you had .357 everything already then obviously that could be the way to go.

I was told by Brian Pearce that the more you shoot these guns the better they get, and breaking the barrel in properly is the key to great accuracy. But a steady diet of Cast Boolits would also eventually break the barrel in as well, and would be a lot more fun.

Randy
    I am well set up for both, but would tend to agree, both useful up to 150yards or thereabouts (which sums up most scrub / bush / forest / going out for dinner hunting), but the 44Mag would have an extra margin of performance (and safety if there are any bitey / scratchy things about).

Going on past performance, my mate will probably try and sell it to me along the way a bit, I have ended up with ten or so of his rifles over the years. I'm a patient man, hahaha!

Boolit Mold
    I was happily ignorant of this rifles existence until someone revived this four year old thread, now I have one on the way to my LGS. I recently bought an older Marlin Cowboy in .45-70, that came with a like new Bushnell Elite 3x9 scope on it. First thing I did was pull the scope off the lever and wonder what I might put it on. Well now I know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast