Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: some advice for this bullet

some advice for this bullet

I have started casting this bullet from accurate molds. http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...=45-325D-D.png I am conflicted where to start. I have a BFR precision center in 45 colt and because the bullet is a dual crimp groove I don't know where to start with 296 or H110. I plan to use it for deer hunting so it doesn't need to be powerfull enough for buffaloes. I am considering lubing the bottom crimp groove also but I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with this particular slug. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Boolit Master

odis:
    If I am reading this right, you want to use 296 powder or H110 powder. They are both the same powder. They are made by the same manufacturer. 296 is packaged under the Winchester brand. H110 is packaged under the Hodgdon brand.
    The powder weights are interchangeable.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by littlejack View Post
    odis:
    If I am reading this right, you want to use 296 powder or H110 powder. They are both the same powder. They are made by the same manufacturer. 296 is packaged under the Winchester brand. H110 is packaged under the Hodgdon brand.
    The powder weights are interchangeable.
    Jack
    I understand that I'm just not sure where to start. There is of course no data printed anywhere that I can find for this boolit.

Banned

odis

Load #423 over on reloadersnest.com is a MAXIMUM 45 Colt load for a 335 grain cast boolit using 22 grains of Winchester 296.:

http://www.reloadersnest.com/detail_...335&LoadID=423

The handloads there for handguns are definitely maximum snot loads and this will not be an exception. Approach this load with extreme caution from at least 10% below and work up your load.

Your boolit is lighter but very close in weight to the lead boolit in Load 423 so that will give you at least some margin of safety.

I'd recommend you get more advice on this load before you just go ahead and load it up. It sounds way hot to me and lists a velocity of 1300 fps. Your 10 grain lighter boolit would even be faster. Perhaps a member with Quickload will stop in and run the load for you if you provide more info on your firearm and boolit.

Gary
    Last edited by onondaga; 09-25-2011 at 11:33 AM.

Thank you onandaga, I'm not interested in dangerous game loads, I have reloaded for this gun with commercial cast and boolits that are heavier than this one. I am concerned because of the bottom crimp groove is low and it might leave more space than is safe using 296 or 110 at starting charges. Maybe I'm reading to much into this but I've always been a bit cautious reloading these past 30 years.

Banned

odis

Compare the LOA of the #423 load to the LOA of your dummy loads with one at each crimp groove. A shorter LOA with deeper boolit seating yields relatively more pressure and more velocity. But again the boolit in #423 is 10 grains heavier so you have a margin of safety.

Additionally your firearm may prefer the fit of one crimp groove better than the other. The powder charge may also prefer one crimp groove over the other also.

I use H110/296 in the .500 S&W and when I end up with more than 10% airspace above the charge, I use BPI Original filler to achieve a 105% compressed load for dependable ignition for those powders with standard primers.

Gary

Boolit Buddy
    Odis,
    Hodgdon Annual Manual 2011 lists a 325gr. CPB LFN PB @1.680", WLP, Win. case and 7.25" barrel.
    Start load is 21.0 for 1109 and 18,100 CUP
    MAX is 24.0 for 1266 and 27,400 CUP
    Remember to begin with the START LOAD. There's more to a load than the weight of the boolit. Bearing surface, alloy, boolit fit etc. all come in to play

Boolit Grand Master

Hodgdon recommends only 3% load reduction from max with 296 or 110.

Banned

leadman

I know Hogdons recommendations. The use of BPI Original is experimental and works for my reduced loads with H110 . For the most safety, the weight of the filler should be added to the boolit weight for a total projectile weight when projecting safe pressures. The BPI is very light and fluffy and rarely matters at all. It does provide the pressure needed for mildly reduced loads of H110 and eliminates poor ignition hangfires, misfires, etc.

Gary

I appreciate the responses so far. I have always used leadhead and Penn slugs with this gun. I have been able to find trustworthy data for the bullets I used so I figure with this particular boolit I will be starting at around 20.5 to 21.5 grs depending on the groove that I crimp with but I will measure the top of the powder in the case and compare it to the length of the boolit from base to crimp grooves. How much space can I safely get away with using this powder. By the way I will be using CCI mag primers and the alloy is water quenched WW. I use Starline brass and my Dillon square deal sizing die sizes the brass so the boolit looks like it is shrinkwrapped into the case.

Banned

odis

Your question on airspace is a tough call for me. I draw the line at 10% for my H110 loads in .500 S&W with plain based cast boolits, then I add BPI with over 10% airspace.

I don't know for sure how this would relate to 45 Colt.

Gearnasher uses BPI in reduced loads in 45 Colt for rifle loads. My loads in .500 S&W are also for rifle.

I can tell you that H110 is position and pressure sensitive for ignition and does not like big airspace or light boolits, that is why Hogdon has such limited recommendation from minimum to maximum charge level in the cartridges they recommend it for .

Gary
    Last edited by onondaga; 09-25-2011 at 11:35 PM.

Boolit Man
    I've read some loads from Paco that used 300gr/340gr cast boolits, both with 24gr H-110 that averaged 32k/33k cup respectively.

So as long as the weapon is up to the warm pressures I think you should be alright with the range you are looking at.