RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 45-110 scene in "QUIGLEY"

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Watched the clip. If you allowed the horse 35 mph that would put the bucket at 700 yds. In the film it takes about 2 seconds for the shot to hit the bucket. Ballistic calculator says a 540 gr .444 bullet at 1400 fps takes 1.97 seconds to travel 700 yds..
    Yup that shots doable and then some...
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Buddy
    seems to a lot of agony and bother about the sound effects of the movie ... funny no one mentions the only thing that drove me crazy in the movie ... the loose parts rattle sound from a win 94 every time he opened the block ... other than that i spent my time enjoyin the flick an ogglin crazy cora
    we are soldiers we guard honor and wage war in between we wait like a stone untill our chance comes again

beats the snot outa felt recoil of 222......

Anyway at the 20th Quigley we all were signing a big poster, that if there were enough signatures, then Selleck would be there for the next year. I inquired as to what it might take to get Crazy Cora and the reply was that she hates guns and there was nothing that would get her to the affair.

Boolit Grand Master

Had the pleasure of meeting Mike V in Raton a year or so after Quigley came out and he was indeed an advisor on the movie. Apparently Selleck was a good student and is actually pretty handy with a firearm.
    Damn shame I wasn't much interested in BPCR's @ the time.
    Let's hold off on the sequel until I get my Shiloh Sharps rifle ordered, OK? Do ya'll remember how long it took to get one after that movie came out?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Hey guys....wake the frick up!!

IT WAS A FRIGGIN MOVIE!!

The best part was admiring the tits on Crazy Cora!!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

That was funny Rick.
    If liberals knew what they were missing, they’d give up drugs, sex and rock-n-roll for shooting and hunting. But then the rest of us would never draw an elk tag, so to hell with 'em! — James "Mitch" Vilos aka (Pancho Vilos)

Boolit Bub
    Good Movie.
    Good actor.
    Great rifle!

Great tits!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by juniorsonic View Post
    Well, I just saw Quigley Down Under for the 1st time, and I must say I really enjoyed it. One thing I am wondering, though, is about that part where Selleck demo's the Sharps rifle on the wooden bucket. Is that cartridge/rifle really capable of that kind of performance given the operator is on his game? Is there anyone who actually has real-life experience shooting the BPCR in 45-110 at such great distance?
    Well after the inevitable distraction of 6th grade humor that usually enters these type threads , I went ahead and gave it a go with estimating the "Bucket demo" distance. The best I can do given the horse running at about 35 mph is 810 yards.

After watching the movie countless times since it came out the only reference to a specified distance in the movie, I have found, is also during the "demo" scene where Marston pulls out the want add that Quigley sent back to him. The page is signed, "M. Quigley 900 yards" and next to the notation is a very small cluster group..... as Marston says, "but you had a way with words".

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    Y'all done went and forgot about Billy Dixson's 1700 + yd shot at "The Battle of Adobe Wells" if you want to call it a battle. His over a mile shot that knocked a Comanche buck off his horse is documented proof that the Sharps can shoot!

Boolit Master

Nah, not forgotten. While Q was a fiction movie, the Adobe Walls 50 cal Sharps (most likely a 50-90) shot was real. It was surveyed later at 1538 yards. IIRC, it is recorded in US Military Archives. I think Dixon later and thru his wife's writings, always maintained it was just a lucky shot.

No one mentioned the arsenal testing of the 45-70 ? Documented military testing of the 45-70 and ranges in excess of a mile. The test was to determine if the rifle was effective at at " stand off" range to harass block houses and walled structures. I will try to remember and "google-fu" the article and post a link, if anyone else knows what I am talking about feel free to offer it up.

here is a link, I can not verify this story but I have seen it in print a number of times.

http://www.researchpress.co.uk/longr...andyhook03.htm

ok so it is not Directly comparable, it does show that a Black powder cartridge rifle is still quite deadly at extended ranges, just the little matter or correcting for drop and drift matter more way out there .
    Last edited by greywuuf; 09-28-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by dagger dog View Post
    Y'all done went and forgot about Billy Dixson's 1700 + yd shot at "The Battle of Adobe Wells" if you want to call it a battle. His over a mile shot that knocked a Comanche buck off his horse is documented proof that the Sharps can shoot!
    That MUST have been just a lucky shot because at 1700 yds., you can't even SEE a target without magnification.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
    No one mentioned the arsenal testing of the 45-70 ? Documented military testing of the 45-70 and ranges in excess of a mile. The test was to determine if the rifle was effective at at " stand off" range to harass block houses and walled structures. I will try to remember and "google-fu" the article and post a link, if anyone else knows what I am talking about feel free to offer it up.
    I imagine you are talking about the Sandy Hook Trials.

Here's a link to a short article about it.
    http://www.researchpress.co.uk/longrange/sandyhook.htm
    Last edited by 405; 09-29-2011 at 07:49 AM.

On Heaven's Range

That MUST have been just a lucky shot because at 1700 yds., you can't even SEE a target without magnification.
    Let's not forget that Dixon was shooting at a GROUP of Indians on horseback. This made a much larger "target" than one individual.

Still, it was a heck of a shot...and a VERY unlucky Indian.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Get your eyes checked. I have lobbed shots out that far, and further with a Sharps. And I wasn't using a scope.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

While this thread has wandered around dissecting the trivia of movies and interesting factoids of history it sure beats the heck out of answering questions like, "how much does 50 lbs of lead weigh?".

As far as the Billy Dixon shot... I would guess that he was using 'Kentuck elevation'. Doubt that he first estimated the range to be 1538 yards, cranked up the elevation on the rear sight precisely the minutes required for that range, put the front sight on one or the group of Comanche and squeezed one off. He prolly guessed at something quite a bit over 1000 yards, held over (sight picture into the sky) by the amount he quessed was enough and squeezed one off. What a surprise when one peeled off his horse a few seconds later!!

How much does 50# of wet lead weigh??

There is a lot of controversy about the Billy Dixon shot. Even his Wife Olive even said in one of the books I read that Bill thought it was only 800 some yards.
    A friend went to the Adobe walls site last winter and took some lazer ranging measurements from the location and could not come up with a range at that distance on that bluff.
    I cant say how far or what ever happen , I wasn't there to see it.

I was doing some research reference the Dixon shot several years ago, think the data came from the Texas Historical Site....whereby Dixon had the occasion to meet up with Quanah Parker and this incident was broached. Parker told Dixon that the Indian brave sitting in the group that fell from his horse at the shot had been hit in the leg from a shot that had skipped off a rock and that said brave had recovered from his wound! In another read, info was given that stated that when things were dull around Adobe Walls when the hunters were there that on occasion they would gather up at the rear of the saloon and shoot at a formation on the side of the bluff in question that was shaped akin to a woman's titty and quite often this titty looking formation got a round put on it! FWIW! Like Lead pot....I wasn't there!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

If you read the story carefully, a good case could be made that IF Dixon really did make the shot (no one else ever mentions it being done) that he made the shot with the 44-90 he actually owned at the time, and not the 50-90 he took from the bartender early on, when his 44 was running low on ammo....

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast