RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harry M. Pope

Harry M. Pope

"The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Boolit Master

Cool

Great read Rick. BTW got a copy of Mann's book you talked about, really enjoying it, Pope's footnotes are great.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

I'm right here!!!!!!!

The story of Popes barrels and Respectfully yours Harry Pope are also good ones on him.

George

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for posting this, Mr. Pope was a genius.

Rafe
    If there is nothing in your life worth dying for than you are already dead.

Boolit Master

As a young child, I recall reading of Pope, his barrels and shooting ability. Re-reading that article brought back the musty smell of the gun magazines and books in my fathers workshop. I'd sit and read for hours, lost in the pages and pages of knowledge.

Good memories. Thanks

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Grand Master

Wow. Awesome read. Thanks Rick!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    I really enjoyed that article. What a throw back to another age.

Boolit Master
    You would all enjoy reading the stories of "J. M. Pyne" by Lucien Cary, that ran in the Saturday Evening Post so long ago...

Rich

Boolit Master
    i have the book of lucien cary's stories. also have the book the story of pope barrels. they are both good reading.

Boolit Mold
    I'm glad you guys are enjoying digging through the site, that makes my work on it seem more worthwhile!

Here's one of the Lucian Cary stories, centered on Harry Pope, of course.
    http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com...ld-master.html

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by German Salazar View Post
    I'm glad you guys are enjoying digging through the site, that makes my work on it seem more worthwhile!

I knew you would show up here eventually.

Boolit Master
    German,

Welcome, I enjoy your blog. I will be in Phoenix next friday, along with my infamous Shooting pardner for the NMLRA Slug Gun Matches, then will continue on the following week at the Creedmoor Matches hosted by Steve Rhoades.

Kenny Wasserburger

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    The old man opened the gun and picked up a steel rod that stood against the bench, and a pledget of absorbent cotton.
    Who I learned to use cotton balls from instead of patches
    Regards
    John

German's site is fantastic. While I am not a Palma shooter, many of his articles are applicable to other areas of shooting and the historical articles are always a good read. I think his blog http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/is without question one of the best on the web. Keep up the good work German.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by German Salazar View Post

Reading about that Ballard was great, action snapping closed as only a well fitted Ballard can, close fitting on a cigarett paper at the breech block/barrel enough to cut the paper, I know that feeling.

I have a JM Marlin Ballard #5 Pacific in .45-70 with a great bore, early 1XXX SN puts it made circa 1878. (no factory records exist) What was said in the article was about a precision target rifle, but some of it also holds true for my #5 Pacific, which is a hunting rifle.

I found out early on that I am not a good enough marksman to do justice to the rifle's accuracy potential.

Boolit Master
    Hello, everyone. I first came across the Lucian Carey stories in my early high school years. My sister brought books home for me from the downtown library, I just about wore out their copy of Phill Sharpes Complete Guide To Handloading..and I didn't even own a firearm yet!
    Those stories of J.M. Pyne (H.M. Pope), lit a fire in me for fine work, and fine firearms, that was instrumental in helping me choose my lifes vocation, Tool & Die making.
    I had never dreamed of owning a genuine Pope rifle in my lifetime..but a few years ago, that dream came true.
    The rifle started out as a basic British BSA 12/15 .22 target rifle.
    In the 1930's, it was re-stocked with a goergous piece of English walnut, in the small-bore prone style.
    Extensive checkering patterns on both sides and bottom of forend, and on Wunderhammer swelled pistol grip. In front of P.G. on R.H. side, is a small contoured & checkered thumb rest. The lever has been professionally lengthened by a very neat silver soldered finger splice. There is a cylindrical knob mortised on lever end, that has checkering pattern withen a shield on front & rear. Sides are deeply dished, in British style. Pope re-worked the action & trigger..it breaks like a glass rod! Trigger stop installed in guard. The R.H. side of action is cut down for earier loading..exactly as he did on his Winchester High-Wall .22's. Interestingly..the shape of this cut-out area is very close to that of BSA ..which they incorporated on their later rifles. The top of the breech-block has a hole which coresponds with the cleaning hole in rear of action..it blends perfectly into the loading groove. This permits cleaning by merely opening action..the original BSA required the action to be removed from rifle.
    The sights are a BSA No. 7, adjustable appature peep, and a Watson globe front, with inserts. Scope blocks on brl.
    The 30", 1" at muzzle barrel is match-chambered, with a bright, perfect bore.
    On L.H. side, stamped in small neat letters: H.M. Pope, undeside of brl., under forend are his markings and brl. no. as well as the date..April, 1930.
    Last year, I did extensive accuracy testing with various brands of ammunition at 50yds & 100yds.
    Using Eley & Lapua match, groups at 50yds. were in the .2's & very low .3's
    At 100yds. groups were 5/8" to 3/4".
    I had an early Lyman Jr. Targetspot 10X mounted..next time out, I will try 20X.
    I even put the old shooting coat on & tried prone..this rifle is HEAVY!
    Shooting this target rifle crafted by the old master gives one a feeling of great pleasure....and a longing that it could but talk!
    Last edited by .22-10-45; 02-24-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HARRYMPOPE View Post
    I'm right here!!!!!!!

The story of Popes barrels and Respectfully yours Harry Pope are also good ones on him.

George
    They restored Harry pope's home in east Hartford ct many years ago it stood empty for so many years. but to go see it you need a busload of armed guards around you its a damn shame. its in an area so bad Cabela's opened a store there abound ten or more years ago and now its getting ready to shut it down lack of sales. people are scared to shop there day time hold ups in parking lot more items stolen then sold. cops wont go in there after dark.
    Last edited by gandydancer; 02-29-2012 at 03:25 AM.
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Mold
    Harry Pope's catalog:

http://www.pbase.com/halp/harry_pope
    "Still, if you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by ole pizen slinger View Post
    ole pizen slinger. Howdy and thanks. GD
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by .22-10-45 View Post
    Hello, everyone. I first came across the Lucian Carey stories in my early high school years. My sister brought books home for me from the downtown library, I just about wore out their copy of Phill Sharpes Complete Guide To Handloading..and I didn't even own a firearm yet!
    Those stories of J.M. Pyne (H.M. Pope), lit a fire in me for fine work, and fine firearms, that was instrumental in helping me choose my lifes vocation, Tool & Die making.
    I had never dreamed of owning a genuine Pope rifle in my lifetime..but a few years ago, that dream came true.
    The rifle started out as a basic British BSA 12/15 .22 target rifle.
    In the 1930's, it was re-stocked with a goergous piece of English walnut, in the small-bore prone style.
    Extensive checkering patterns on both sides and bottom of forend, and on Wunderhammer swelled pistol grip. In front of P.G. on R.H. side, is a small contoured & checkered thumb rest. The lever has been professionally lengthened by a very neat silver soldered finger splice. There is a cylindrical knob mortised on lever end, that has checkering pattern withen a shield on front & rear. Sides are deeply dished, in British style. Pope re-worked the action & trigger..it breaks like a glass rod! Trigger stop installed in guard. The R.H. side of action is cut down for earier loading..exactly as he did on his Winchester High-Wall .22's. Interestingly..the shape of this cut-out area is very close to that of BSA ..which they incorporated on their later rifles. The top of the breech-block has a hole which coresponds with the cleaning hole in rear of action..it blends perfectly into the loading groove. This permits cleaning by merely opening action..the original BSA required the action to be removed from rifle.
    The sights are a BSA No. 7, adjustable appature peep, and a Watson globe front, with inserts. Scope blocks on brl.
    The 30", 1" at muzzle barrel is match-chambered, with a bright, perfect bore.
    On L.H. side, stamped in small neat letters: H.M. Pope, undeside of brl., under forend are his markings and brl. no. as well as the date..April, 1930.
    Last year, I did extensive accuracy testing with various brands of ammunition at 50yds & 100yds.
    Using Eley & Lapua match, groups at 50yds. were in the .2's & very low .3's
    At 100yds. groups were 5/8" to 3/4".
    I had an early Lyman Jr. Targetspot 10X mounted..next time out, I will try 20X.
    I even put the old shooting coat on & tried prone..this rifle is HEAVY!
    Shooting this target rifle crafted by the old master gives one a feeling of great pleasure....and a longing that it could but talk!

Now that's one I wouldn't mind seeing a few pics of. Hint, hint!