Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: non US made sharps

non US made sharps

so in the mode of fair play and maybe soothing some feelings ...here is what i propose;

i..as well as many others made the decision [for what ever reason] to purchase a sharps that is not USA built. i have no ax to grind as i made my decision from my point of view and apologize to nobody for it... nor do i feel the need to.

i have read on some of these threads about some that feel slighted for their decision to buy non us built sharps...i am sorry for these feelings and rest assured i do not share these feelings ...however here is a potential place to share our photos of our non us made sharps. maybe this will go some yardage to smooth the 'outcast' feelings i read from time to time.

understand that im not trying to poke anybody with a stick in any way...just more photos of these super fun and great rifles started so long ago and still kicking around.

with no further adieu... here is some photos [ to start this hopefully sticky starter] of my uberty sharps. it is a long range rifle with a 34 inch half round half octagon barrel. it is a pistol grip stock with double set triggers. the sights are stock uberty with no windage adjustment except to drift the front sight.

so there she is...not the best pictures but maybe its a start for smoothing and uniting shooters of these great rifles.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Good thread Ted.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    I am a sharps fanatice if you can be one and not get tossed into the loony bin. I happen to have two Shiloh's, four C. Sharps, two Pedersolli's, one Uberti in cartridge guns and two Armysport and one IAB percussion rifles. So you can see I like sharps. I bought the non-us made ones because of price and they looked good. I have not been disappointed with any of them though they are a bit below the US made ones in fit and finish but then most of them cost ne like half of what a Shiloh cost me and I am much more likely to use them in bad weather than my Shilohs. They shoot as good and I can shoot anything so that is not an issue.

photos man photos...lol as you can see...mine is not a safe queen, she has nicks n scratches and will continue to gather them as time goes on. not sure if i would want to drag the shilo that i got my eye on thru the same kinda stuff this uberti goes thru but will someday bring home the 6k plus dream i have.......someday...lol

Boolit Master

My Pedersoli Creedmoor sitting on my Cocobolo shooting sticks. It's a good shooter, and I have no reservations putting it on the rack next to the high dollar Shilo's at the range...

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

Uberti Sharps

A great big CONGRATS on your rifle. She is a very pretty one and I am sure you will have tons of fun shooting it. You may replace that front sight with one that has windage if you wish. That rifle will cut one ragged hole at 100 with the proper load. The wood is very nice looking.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    A great big CONGRATS on your rifle. She is a very pretty one and I am sure you will have tons of fun shooting it. You may replace that front sight with one that has windage if you wish. That rifle will cut one ragged hole at 100 with the proper load. The wood is very nice looking.
    Yes, I've already discovered that in a stiff side wind I can run out of windage adjustment at longer ranges. A windage adjustable front sight is definitely on my radar...

Boolit Master

Lightbulb

BigTed have to say I like mine fills my needs perfectly.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Boolit Master
    i have a garret arms modle 66 carbine in 50-70. i use the old layman 450 gr boolit over 60 gr. 1f. it drops deer.

the other is a sile in .40-65 yes it was relined. it shoots good. was a .45-70 it shot well but the guy that owned it wanted a .40-65

Boolit Master
    Baja,

Cast any boolits with the new PJ mould?

Jon
    Last edited by Jon K; 08-04-2011 at 11:38 PM. Reason: spellcheck
    Col 2:13-17

In Remembrance

Years ago

I had a Shilo 1874 in 50 70. Serial #625. Then, I did not see it as being very much superior to the less expensive spreads in fit and finish and materials.
    Most of the reproduction Sharps will shoot better than anyone can hold. Most will need a little tweaking and tinkering.
    I admire those who can afford the high quality guns but they are all reproductions.
    I really respect those that shoot the original guns.
    I am cash challenged so I feel I get more mileage out of my gun money by buying used and import guns.
    In the last few years the import guns have drawn closer in quality and price to the several US made guns.
    I have a Pedersoli rolling block 45 70 and a Uberti/Cimarron 40 65 highwall and they both make me smile when I shoot them. I nearly always get compliments when at the range on how beautiful they are and how well they shoot.
    Those that are proponents of the US made guns are right when they say you will never regret buying quality, especially tang target sights.
    I only regret that I didn't have a plan to be rich in my old age.

Life is good

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K View Post
    Baja,

Cast any boolitd with the new PJ mould?

Jon
    Not yet - got the rest of Postell's from Tom's mold already loaded, then a bunch of the Govt. boolits to shoot first, once they're gone I'll only use the Jones mold from then on...

Boolit Man
    Like some others, I own some imports and a few high end American made single shots. I love my Pedersoli's. I have 3 Sharps and a rolling block. They all shoot better then I do. Also I bought them all used, but they all looked like new. All four of them cost about the same as one reasonably well appointed Shiloh. I still plan on eventually getting a Shiloh Sharps, but in the meantime I get a lot of enjoyment from my Italian imports.

Pedersoli Quigley 50/90 with MVA midrange soule and Kelly front sight

50/90 round with 700 gr bullet from NEI mold

A view downrange

Pedersoli Long Range Express 45/70

And one in 45/120

Pedersoli Rolling Block 45/70

Boolit Buddy

At one time I would have gave my eye teeth to own one of those imported Sharps. Now that I am older, fatter, balder with failing eye sight, I have a Shilo Sharps Military rifle in 45-70.
    Life can sometimes be mean!

Here’s my Pedersoli Long Range Rifle (.45-120).

In my country (The Netherlands) you can’t buy American made Sharps Rifles, unless you go for the original antique ones bought at an auction. In that case you can buy 3 of more new rifles like mine.

Peter (Stampede)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7.jpg  
    Over 27 years experience reloading ammo, specialy with VithaVuori powders and black powder ammo.
    I frequently reload: .45ACP / .44MAG / .357MAG / .357 Maximum / .38 Special / .45-70 / .45-120 / .50-70 / .50-110 / 12,7x44R (and similar European obsolete BP ammo)/ .30-30Win / .223Rem / .38-40 / .44-40 / .300 Win Mag / 7x64 Brenneke (and similar European Rifles/ 9mm / My personal favorites: Freedom Arms revolvers, Winchester, Sharps and Remington rifles (produced before 1900)

Boolit Master

Peter,
    After hearing some of your horror stories of gun and reloading regulation in your country, you must have the local constabulary camped at your house. Just reading your list of things you shoot below your post is impressive, even for this country.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Well if you are serious shooter and firearms collector you need to reload and cast your own bullets. You simply have no choice over here, most of the mentioned ammo is not available at the gun stores. Most of my equipment and many components I need to import from the USA. For instance a common cartridge like the 300Win Mag is not regularly on hand, I pay for new factory Winchester rounds (20pcs) about $ 110.— and have to wait about 6 months before it arrives at the store. Do you know how many rounds I can reload for that…..

Plus you can't buy any black powder ammo here at all

I like the classics (antique / obsolete) guns & ammo even better, even making my own cases/brass on the lathe. I only need to buy a die-set. But hey…. I “love” to reload, it’s my No: 1 hobby and an excellent way of complimenting my shooting sport and collecting. If I could not reload a probably had given up the guns a long time ago.

The included picture from my reloading bench shows the die-set boxes on the lower shelf (21 different calibers at this time). And yes the local police shows up regularly to check things out.

Peter (Stampede)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Reloading Bench.jpg  
    Over 27 years experience reloading ammo, specialy with VithaVuori powders and black powder ammo.
    I frequently reload: .45ACP / .44MAG / .357MAG / .357 Maximum / .38 Special / .45-70 / .45-120 / .50-70 / .50-110 / 12,7x44R (and similar European obsolete BP ammo)/ .30-30Win / .223Rem / .38-40 / .44-40 / .300 Win Mag / 7x64 Brenneke (and similar European Rifles/ 9mm / My personal favorites: Freedom Arms revolvers, Winchester, Sharps and Remington rifles (produced before 1900)

Boolit Master

Peter, do your police know the good guys from the bad guys or do they treat everybody as bad guys? In the US this would be so foreign to us that it is ridiculous. I lived in South Africa for a while and while there was gun registration it really wasn't much of a hassle. This was in 82' and 83', whole different story now from what I understand.
    I hear you on reloading, I shot IPSC for 15+ years and at the height of that was shooting 20,000 to 30,000 rounds a year. I'm kind of a blue collar kind of a guy so there sure wasn't the money to buy ammo in those sort of quantities and remain married. All the best.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Howdy Bob,
    The “regular” police/law enforcement and the government treat/see us like criminals. Especially after the very first shooting spree at a mall in the Netherlands (about 6 months ago) and now after the Norway incident even more. These gun man had both permits, now every “legal permit gun holder” is a menace to the society and should give up their guns.

As we speak there are about 9 new laws in the making that will restrict us even more. The first law will be passed thru parliament in September. This law is about mental health vs. gun ownership. Every semi-auto gun owner need a confirmation from a government appointed psygologist to prove that you are not a “nut case”…. So much for privacy!

But there is a special police section that is involved with the gun registrations, called: Bureau of Special Laws each Province has one. These police officers are specially trained in the gun laws, firearms identification, interviewing permit holders, and so on. They are not prejudiced and most of the times are well informed. Their job is to check if every gun owner does everyting the right way. At my city (Province) they are very correct and know what they are talking about. The common police officer at the streets and the police commisonars are a whole differtent story.

Peter (Stampede)

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Here in Peru every desiring gun owner must first have a pscycological exam before you can start the license procedure. Then there are police background checks, INTERPOL, and finally a weapons proficiency test. Then if you have crossed all the T´s correctly you can wait 3 weeks so the papers can be finalised. Each gun permit ends up costing $45 dollars renewable every 3 years by going through the same process.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast