Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottleneck vs Straight wall cases

Boolit Buddy

Bottleneck vs Straight wall cases

I was talking with a local gunsmith this past weekend and mentioned that I was thinking about getting a .38-56. He then proceeded to tell me that there has been a number of recent articles published that state bottlenecks are much less accurate than straight wall cases. To my knowledge this is a load of bunk, as in the record of the .44-77 on target ranges proves. As I read just about anything I can get my hands on about BPCR and have not seen any articles in any magazines on this subject, I wonder where he got this. He couldn't remember the magazines he read this in.

Anybody recall any thing recently published on this subject?

Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoon 45 View Post
    I was talking with a local gunsmith this past weekend and mentioned that I was thinking about getting a .38-56. He then proceeded to tell me that there has been a number of recent articles published that state bottlenecks are much less accurate than straight wall cases. To my knowledge this is a load of bunk, as in the record of the .44-77 on target ranges proves. As I read just about anything I can get my hands on about BPCR and have not seen any articles in any magazines on this subject, I wonder where he got this. He couldn't remember the magazines he read this in.

Anybody recall any thing recently published on this subject?

Thanks.

If that were true, then most of the high power shooters shooting 5.56 and 7.62 don't know it... if it is referring to specifically the ballistics of BPCR, I have not seen any of those claims or articles, but my gut tells me it is bunk. I have an original Win 1886 in 38-56. The parent brass is 45-70. I don't shoot it often, as it is in near mint condition - but I have put a few rounds downrange with it and IMHO I will tell you it is indeed extrememly accurate out to at least 200 yards (I don't have a range I can shoot further), and from a rest it put every round into a 6" paper plate at 200 yards with the factory open sight.

Boolit Master
    Certainly, the .38-56 lacks the reputation for fine accuracy that both the .38-50 and the .38-55 have.

I would not opt for a .38-56 over either of those two cartridges.

Bottleneck cases are a pain to clean and they tend to have little or no leeway in regards to options for compressing powder like we commonly do in straight cases.

I shoot a .38-72 as well as a .38-55 and the 72 is a very fussy case for me. I have yet to attain even good accuracy with it, yet its bottleneck is very very slight.

Straight is great. Stick with it...

Or not.

Brent

I agree with Brent.

I had the .38-56 in the 86 Winchester and I shoot two .44 bottle necked cartridges now and soon to get a .44-77 and I had .40 bn's and 44 bn's and the .43 Spanish in rolling blocks they all shot good except the .40 bn but the .38-56 was on the bottom of the list, maybe because it was chambered in the repeating lever rifle.

Banned
    My experience with bottleneck cases is that they tend to burn hotter/cleaner and thus the rifle is easier to keep clean.
    I will call BS on them not being as accurate as "straight" cases, and the fact that they are not represented in todays matches is coincidencial. At Creedmoor the 44-90 was king despite them hawing straight cases galore!

Boolit Buddy

As I said I don't buy into the theory that bottleneck BP cartridges are any less accurate than straight walled ones. They might be a little bit more finicky to get to shoot but that doesn't mean they are less accurate.

I was just hoping someone might know where he might have read this claim so I could look it up and read it for myself. The guy is a fairly decent gunsmith from all accounts, but he is a little bit opinionated.

Re: the .38-56. I like a challenge if can afford it. The .38 BP calibers kind of intrigue me and plus I like to have something different from what everyone else is shooting. I like the idea of being able to form cases from common .45-70 brass without paying an arm and leg for the cases. I considered a .38-55 for a while, but as I understand it the .38-56 has much more case capacity than the 55.

Banned
    Maybe he just did some backyard reasoning regarding the cases used in current BPCR shooting, and falsly deducted that since no bottleneck cases are used it is because they're not accurate?

Banned
    I just thought of this:

Regarding compressing powder, the more you compress the more like a cigarette burn you get.
    So given enough compression the powder is like a big solid pellet burning from the back, slower burn in a long barrel. Slower/less recoil and better SD?

Consistant powder compression is almost impossible in a bottleneck, sooo?
    The powder has to burn in the case and that might lead to what?

Boolit Master
    If you like more case capacity, the .38-50 has more than the .38-55 and I think more than the .38-56 (not entirely sure). Brass is pretty easy.

the .38-70 is easily formed from Hornady .405 and for sure has more case capacity.

And the .38-70 fits in there too somewhere. But of all of them, the .38-56 is least popular and has the worst reputation for accuracy. Might be myth. Might not be. Chase a dream if you wish,. for damn sure, I've chased more than a few.

Brent

Boolit Buddy
    I have experience with a .45 BN case (#2 Musket), and it proably is one of the most accurate and easiest to get to shoot cartridges I know. I still remember taking my very 1st loads (to fireform the cases) out to a match, and - to my great astonishment - winning the match with them. If that's no accurate and easy to load for... OTOH, no experience with the 38-56, but BN cases will shoot quite well.
    Brent does have a point about compression - with a BN you're limited to using none or just a little: too much usually will not give good accuracy results. Then again, I can load 90+ grains in my cases, so...

Both of my .44-90 BN's are very accurate out to mid range but fall off at Creedmoor distances with the bullets I used when I had a chance to shoot 800 - 1000 yards and I fell flat on my face using them..
    The two .44-90's have shot the tightest groups at 200 yards and I find that they will not tolerate to much compression. I have loaded as much as 110 grains of 1FG in the case and never found a second spot where the groups tightened back up like the straight walled cases. .002 is as much as I can compress it and keep the ES and groups good.
    I read in the old books that they used a load of 100 grains with a 520 grain bullet for the creedmoor matches but I think they had a twist faster then 1/19 or 1/20.
    I can get 100 grains in the case with little compression not using a lube wad but it will separate the case just about every second or third shot with out the lube wad.
    Right now I have a swage die being made from a reproduction of a original bullet that was used for the Creedmoor in it's hay days.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    The 38-72 may have too much capacity for the diameter. The 38-55 was a lengthened version of the 38-50 Ballard cartridge and not to be confused with the larger 38-50 Remington Hepburn cartridge.

I had a 40-70 Gov't (40 2.1" BN)and it was very accurate, but also recoiled harder than I cared for (silhouette). It didn't foul with reasonable loads. It didn't need much compression and that may be a function of the BN design in general. The BN funnels the powder gas from the body into the smaller diameter neck and increases pressure. My 43 Mausers don't foul much either with reasonable loads. The key here may be larger granulation powders and moderate compression.

BTW, the BPCRS long run record on turkeys (32) was shot with a 40-50BN. I witnessed it along with about 50 other folks including a memeber of the NRA Competition Division staff. The rifle was not cleaned between shots or banks of targets and took only the normal few breaths with a blowtube and a dry patch to have the bore near spotless after the run was over.

38-56 might be OK for a hunting rifle caliber with BP, but I wouldn't do one for silhouette.
    Last edited by excess650; 09-22-2011 at 07:46 PM.

I only had a .38-56 like I said in a 86 Winchester when you could still buy them for less then $200. and it had a bright bore but it did not shoot for sour grapes using factory loads or reloads. It made a fine deer caliber for the Mich. woods.
    It might be a different story if that caliber was in a High wall or roller, I dont know.
    I saw a fellow shoot a 86 chambered in .38-56 at the Quigley a few years back and he was doing good when I stood behind him when he was shooting it.
    If you get it build let us know how it shoots.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Dragoon I can't think of any articles talking about the bottle necks that way. Like many things bpcr there's plenty of opinion about things by folks that have no actual experience...
    Last spring in Phoenix and the creedmoor cup , a 44-77 was in the top 3 so much for them not shooting.

On your 38-56, go for it. If the thing doesn't work out your just a barrel swap from something different or, running a 375 ouchnouch reamer into the chamber, and then you can either go after elephants or really send out clouds of smoke. That H&H case holds 92 grs of black with a 255 gr bullet seated to the driving band and that bullet flies out of the barrel like it was jet propelled.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Man
    When I got home last night I looked through what related literature I have and did come up with one potential source. In Mike Venturino's Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West he takes a pretty negative position on the bottleneck cartridges. Although he does not directly say that all straight walled cases are inherently more accurate he certainly does say that all other factors being equal the .44-77 cannot be made to shoot as accurately as either the .40-70 SS or the .45-70. In his reviews of the .40-70BN, 40-90 and .44-90 he makes reference to hard fouling ahead of the chamber and that no major competition have been won with these rounds. He also mentions that the Sharps Rifle Co. gradually shifted to straight walled cases because of the fouling issues.

Because this was one of the very first books that I read when I was getting into BPCR shooting I can tell you that it definitely gave me the impression that bottleneck cases were more problematic and less accurate in general. Please understand that I am not taking any position on this matter, I lack the first hand experience to do so. Just passing on a potential source of where that gunsmith may have garnered his information. Not a magazine or even recently published, but it is out there.
    Last edited by The Goose; 09-23-2011 at 07:58 AM.

Like Don said " Like many things bpcr there's plenty of opinion about things by folks that have no actual experience..." I remember reading some of MLV writing articles saying he got poor accuracy shooting black powder in the .45 Sharps, but he is doing very good with them now days.

I can show you some groups shot with the .44 BN that are as good as some of my high power hunting rifles @200 yds. I will say this that the only problem with some bottle necked cases is getting dies and brass, but the brass problem is solved now that Jamison at a great expense o there part is now making brass for the .44 bottle necks and a few other obsolete calibers and I can see that the accuracy has improved in my load developments in recent weeks using there brass that is very consistent in the inside volume of the cases, case neck thickness and flash holes.
    The first thing I noticed the first time I sent a round down range with my new .44 BN using the same weight bullet and powder load in a .45-90 was the dust kicked up a lot faster then the .straight walled case does.
    My inconsistent long range accuracy problem I have at this point is the high BC prolate and elliptical bullet I been trying to use that does not work with the twist I have in these two BN rifles.
    There is no reason that the .38-56 wont shoot in a Sharps, roller or high wall type of action with the fine bullet moulds that are available for the .38's
    If the .38-56 is what you want.....go for it.

LP.

Boolit Buddy

One reason I am thinking about getting a .38-56 is its parent case. Rebarreling a rifle to it shouldn't be that involved as the .45-70, .40-65, and .38-56 all share the same rim diameter and thickness. There shouldn't be that much work involved modifying the extractor or any other parts beyond changing out the barrel. Then if I find out the .38-56 isn't going to perform that well, I can put the old barrel back on with a minimum of fuss.

Boolit Buddy
    If you want to experiment with a BN case with 45-70 head specs, I for one would go with the 40-50 Sharps BN case (not the straight one), which also uses the basic .45 case. That one looks like it would be an ideal sihouette round...

Venturino has an article in the current issue of Handloader on the original Sharps cartridges, you might find relevant.

He points out Sharps stopped making rifles chambered for the bottlenecked cartridges except for specific orders, and concludes the cartridge we now call the .45 – 70 was the most sold, and they probably knew what they were doing.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Thief View Post
    Maybe he just did some backyard reasoning regarding the cases used in current BPCR shooting, and falsly deducted that since no bottleneck cases are used it is because they're not accurate?
    CT, that would be my guess also.

I have both types in quite a few calibers and different guns - single shots and Win levers. I can't tell any difference between bottle neck and straight wall.

The one single shot that stands out in my herd (for at least a couple of reasons ) is an original Sharps 74 in 44-90 SBN... it can stay right with the modern Shiloh 74 in 45-70 and C Sharps 74 in 45-110.

But, anecdotes don't prove much, so statistically, all in all, my experience is a small sample.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast