Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Active duty member needs advice

Smile Active duty member needs advice

Ok..So I'm a definite noob at this but i have a question. I'm stationed in Germany and my GF's dad has a Mauser 71/84 he's trying to get rid of. The bolt is missing the extractor and one of the screws is broken so you can't remove the receiver from the stock. Anyways..the rifle can't fire. Does anyone know what kind of permits I would need to bring this back to the states with me? Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Moderator Emeritus

I created this thread and moved CORPCOCK'S post into it as it was buried in another thread. Hopefully this will help him get an answer to his question quicker. I know there has to be someone here who knows the answers.

Welcome to Cast Boolits Corpcock and thank you for your service!
    "The worst wheel of the cart makes the most noise." - Benjamin Franklin

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Let me give some background first. In 1986 when Pres Reagan signed the bill allowing military surplus weapons to be imported it was for licensed importers only. Active duty in Germany could fill out a Blue ATF Form 6 and import for their personal use commercially made firearms but not military surplus. You could go through the process of contacting a licensed importer that would act as an agent to import a weapon you had access to but that was costly and time consuming and the importer stamped their import name on the barrel also. You have probably seen some of the Blue Sky and multitudes of other importers stamps on the recent military weapons. In recent years the SOF Status of Forces Agreement was rewritten making it extremely difficult for a soldier in Germany to buy weapons in Germany. It's possible but very costly mainly due to them now having to comply with German firearm rules. The Rod & gun club system at one time had around 48 Rod & Gun Clubs and now it is down to around 4. Basically to answer your question unless the rifle had significent sentimental value then it would not be worth the expense and time to bring the rifle back. Just buy one in the states that works for less money. Just my 2 cents worth. gmsharps

Boolit Buddy

I can't say for Germany, but while I was in Afghanistan we had access to a lot of antique firearms. It ran the gamut of Brown Bess's to Schneider conversion Enfields to Martini Henry's. As almost all of these rifles were considered antiques we could buy them and ship them home via US Mail with only a customs form attached. This was in 2004. I believe that Mauser is considered an antique, so no FFL would be required or any BATFE permits. The best way to know for sure is to contact your JAG Officer.

Boolit Grand Master

Firearms made prior to 1898 are not considered to be "firearms" for the purposes of
    the 1968 Gun Control Act. Within the USA they can be shipped like any other piece
    of machinery - as long as LOCAL and STATE laws are obeyed. In KS there are no
    state and local laws to worry about, so I can legally order a pre-98 firearm or muzzle
    loader through the mail with no paperwork with the ATF.

HOWEVER - I have no idea how this "not a firearm" is interpreted on an international
    basis. It sounds like this may be your way to get it here assuming that Dragoon 45's
    experience is still in force, and applies to Germany. May only work in Afghanistan.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Sounds like an interesting rifle. Here is a set of instructions on disasembley.

http://www.militaryrifles.com/german...isassembly.htm
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post

TMI I'm stupid. Sue Me.(For the post)
    Last edited by P.K.; 09-22-2011 at 11:09 PM.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Master

Last edited by P.K.; 09-22-2011 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Read between the lines.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

Thomas Payne

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post

You SIR are a genius.....WOW.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

George Orwell

Thomas Payne

Super Moderator

...............At one time I was looking to buy a muzzle loading rifle and get it from Spain to the U.S. I ended up not doing it but a muzzle loading rifle is treated the same as a weed eater, and the only hassels were customs duties, if any. Assumptions can bite you on the tookus, but due to the pre-1898 exemption (as in not being considered a firearm) I would think the M71/84 would be treated the same. For a definative answer I'd sure get ahold of the BATFE, in addiiton to covering all bases with the military to see if they have any issues with a pre-1898 firearm.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master

You might check with your transportation office there to see if you can ship it with your belonging when you leave. They should know.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Corpcock

Where will you ship it to in the states? What state because some states have restrictions.

Blacksmith

Boolit Buddy
    You could try going to one of the Frankonia stores most of the larger city's have them.They helped me import a M1 Grand plus their cool gun stores