Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: WC 867 an 872

Boolit Master

WC 867 an 872

I have never used pulled powder but I was looking af Wideners website an saw that they had WC867 an WC872 at very good prices. Would either of them performe well in 30/30 - 7MM Rem Mag - 223 - 44 Mag - 300 savage. I never load to max. An all loads would be for cast bullets.
    Kevin

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Yes, with primer extension, i.e., a jump start using a fast rifle powder, as opposed to a pistol powder, for safety.. ... felix
    felix

I use a similar slowburner, WC860 for loads in my Krag, and the 6x45 in my AR. I do use a pistol powder as my jumpstarter however. My reasoning is that I'm trying to simulate the higher temperature of the much larger primer that the powder was made to be fired with. With that in mind I use a double based powder as the ignition source for the higher flame temperatures generated by their nitroglycerine content. I also think a flake powder is more likely to stay at the bottom of the case where it will act as a larger primer.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

That works, but applying seating pressure must be too consistent for the same potential accuracy. The air space afforded by a tube powder won't let the compression be so tight as to snuff out air space between the granules of the primer extension. If using a kicker with no air space, the round might be more accurate if the last 1/4 inch of the powder column was plastic shotgun filler balls. Longer the case, the more true this becomes. Do not compress too hard, if at all, in either situation. ... felix
    felix

Yes, all my loads are lightly compressed, either a caseful, or for those that don't fill the case, I've been using Puf-Lon lately as filler. One of the cartridges the OP mentioned, I don't think he'll find much use for 867 and 872 in, that's the 44 Mag, though I can't say I've tried it.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Moderator Emeritus

With the cost of those where it is currently and the list of cartridges you mention, I would not buy them. The only one of those where I would expect results with a powder that slow to be decent is the 7mm. the others I would expect less than adequate results. You'd be better off with a jug of 2400 or unique.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

I also use 860 as I have quite a bit of it ,favorite is the 6.5x55 with a case full and a magnum primer I never had to use a kicker,though I have used unique as a starter in a couple of others .It works great in the 7mm mag and in the 300wby mag with cast and those other kind of bullets .Though most of my shooting is with cast

See thread: surplus powder with 7mm WSM. ... felix
    felix