MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alliant powder 2400

Boolit Master

Alliant powder 2400

I trying to find out if Alliant powder 2400 is equivalent to and can be loaded the same as Hercules 2400.....
    You thoughts are appreciated
    thanks
    atr

Alliant powder 2400

Hercules was bought out and the name changed to Alliant. The powder is the same.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Same application is the only thing that can be relied upon. I think Larry Gibson is working on comparing various lots, pressure and velocity for a few select cartridges. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Grand Master

So far all Alliant 2400 has performed within normal lot to lot pressure variations in a 30-30 and .44 magnum. Testing is done with a M43 Oehler using a 21" Contender carbine barrel and a 8.4" Contender .44 barrel.

I would still like to get some old Hercules 2400 if someone has any?

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

thanks guys,,,,
    I did some load table comparisons and it does look like the Alliant 2400 is very similiar if not identical to the old Hercules....

sorry Larry,,,but Im holding on to my few remaining cans of Hercules2400....

On Heaven's Range

My own testing was far more "empirical". I let my guns tell me what was going on.

When my stock of Hercules 2400 ran out in the mid-'90s, my Model 27 S&W refused to accept the same charge level with the new Alliant stuff. It was a minor difference, in that it gave slightly-sticky extraction where no stickiness had existed with the Hercules brand. Dropping the charge just 0.5 grain solved the minor difficulty.

Our Ruger .44s on the other hand delivered exactly the same performance with the new, as they had with the old.

I believe that all this proves is that my .357 loads were somewhat closer to "the top" than were my .44s. Whatever variation exists may well fall within lot-to-lot differences.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    thanks guys,,,,
    I did some load table comparisons and it does look like the Alliant 2400 is very similiar if not identical to the old Hercules....

sorry Larry,,,but Im holding on to my few remaining cans of Hercules2400....
    atr

Come old CBF bud! We live close enough we could do some shootin' together? I'm not asking for much, a quarter pound should do and I'll pay?

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

I went to the range yesterday.....
    loaded some .308 with the Alliant 2400 ,,,same loading as what I was using with Hercules 2400....
    the point of impact was the same so Im convinced that the Alliant powder IS same as the old Hercules in 2400

(Larry.....powder and friendship dont mix !!!),,,but anytime you are over on Vashon I would welcome your company at the range

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    . . .and a 8.4" Contender .44 barrel. Larry Gibson
    Where did you get that?????

Boolit Buddy
    I learned my lesson on powder. Friend sold a rifle he used some H110 in. Gave me the remaining powder. 2 months later he bought another rifle he could use the powder in... called up and asked for the powder back.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942 View Post
    Where did you get that?????
    Guy I got it from put some sort of muzzle brake on the original 10" length. It didn't work so he had a gunsmith cut the cobbled part off and put a 11 degree target crown on it and the result is a very nice 8.4" barrel that I got for a very good price! I only got it because the price was right and I just wanted to do some pressure testing of the .44 Magnum. Dang thing shoots so good it is a "keeper' now!

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    I went to the range yesterday.....
    loaded some .308 with the Alliant 2400 ,,,same loading as what I was using with Hercules 2400....
    the point of impact was the same so Im convinced that the Alliant powder IS same as the old Hercules in 2400

(Larry.....powder and friendship dont mix !!!),,,but anytime you are over on Vashon I would welcome your company at the range
    I appreciate the invite and we may just do that. I understand (grudgingly though) about the powder.....got to be someone with some old Hercules 2400 they'll part with.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I appreciate the invite and we may just do that. I understand (grudgingly though) about the powder.....got to be someone with some old Hercules 2400 they'll part with.

Larry Gibson
    I think I could scare some up, how would I ship it?
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by leadeye View Post
    I think I could scare some up, how would I ship it?
    PM sent.

Boolit Master

I've got several pounds of H-2400 from 1970. I'd be happy to send you a few ounces for testing / evaluation. I use it in my cast 45/70 squirrel loads.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

I think that anytime a powder shifts production to a new place and new people, using a new recipe and is then advertised as "New and improved, cleaner burning" that we HAVE TO assume it's at least some degree different. They may try to hit the old performance targets as closely as possible, but it can't be EXACTLY the same.

That small degree of difference is likely what is behind that almost infamous and hotly debated Blue Dot warning of a year ago. With regard to 2400, there are some who claim they saw differences in that powder from before and after the Hercules plant fire more than a decade ago. I don't burn enough of it to know, but I can absolutely verify that "classic" recipes for 2400 in the Hornet are WAY too hot with Hercules powder made 15 years ago. I'm not about to risk trying Alliant stuff in my Hornet knowing that, believe me!

Is 2400 close to what was used in the 30-30 back in 1894? If not then what powder offers 30 grains for the 30-30 to replicate the original ballistics?

Thanks

Banned

the second 30 is from a powder no longer being made.
    don't lament the loss though.
    there are much better powders available now, some of the old powders were actually corrosive.
    iirc it was called hi-vel.

Boolit Master

I think that 2400 was initially brought out for the .22 Hornet and I think that is where the name came from, 2400 fps. I might be wrong but it seem that I read that somewhere.

Skeet1

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy Jack View Post
    Is 2400 close to what was used in the 30-30 back in 1894? If not then what powder offers 30 grains for the 30-30 to replicate the original ballistics?
    Thanks
    Jack,
    The original powder used in the .30 W.C.F. / .30-30 was DuPont .30 Caliber Smokeless.
    Today, 4064, Varget and RL15 are the closest equivalents. In testing, I found that 30 grs. of either of these powders
    will give velocities very close to the original ballistics (1,970 f.p.s.)

2400 was not in exsistence until 1935 and is much too fast burning for .30-30 factory velocities.

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast