Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Help with Savage Edge

In Remembrance

Help with Savage Edge

A friend of mine bought a Savage Edge in .223 used from a local dealer. He took it out today and it fired fine for about 20 rounds then the problems started, this rifle cocks on opening and when he gets the bolt fully open it uncocks or releases the firing pin. The empty is ejected and no new round has been fed yet so there is no danger of it firing but the bolt will not close with it in the uncocked position and it is a bear to get back in the cocked position.
    I have reason to believe this rifle has been back to Savage once before for this very problem and I doubt that it has been fired 200 times since new. I'm almost sure that the original owner had the bolt replaced right after he bought it but I haven't heard back from him yet.

Has anyone here had this problem with their rifle and what did you do to fix it?

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds like someone has been adjusting the trigger. In the process of the adjustment it sounds like they ended up with sear adjusted to light. Anyone who is knowledgeable with different aspects of trigger work can fix that.

Here is a link that explains Savage 110 trigger adjustments :

http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/s...10trigger.html

Again - for your own safety , I'd like to say that anyone who attempts this should be knowledgeable and experienced with trigger work on rifles.

By the way, what reason would the original owner of had for replacing the bolt on a near new rifle ?

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 08-19-2011 at 08:50 AM.

In Remembrance

Ben, this bolt uncocks when fully opened so the part that the sear engages is 3 inches out of the receiver. I have seen a couple Savages that had the triggers messed with and they fired/uncocked on closing, that is what makes this weird.
    Hopefully Savage (if I can get ahold of them) will stand behind it especially since this is a new to rifles shooter and his first rifle.

Boolit Grand Master
    Tell Savage that you've posted your problem on this forum and " MANY people " here are waiting to see how they handle this particular warranty claim...........that might put them into another gear to get this situation resolved.

In Remembrance

Actually did get ahold of them and they are sending a call tag so it will get shipped out this coming Monday.
    I will let you know what happens with this.

Also, Savage had no listing of fixing this gun before so I think the person the previous owner took it to lied to him about sending it in. Hopefully this issue will be fixed for real this time. I have confidence that Savage will come thru on this.

Boolit Master
    I don't know if the edge uses the 110 action or not. the camming action when the bolt is rotated cocks the fireing pin. the only way it can come uncocked is by turning and sliding down the face of the cam. apparently it isn't being forced all the way when the bolt is opened and since it is still on the bevel it slides back once it is free of the slot in the receiver. the bolt is probably not assembled correctly.

Boolit Mold
    i am having the same problem with my savage edge .308 . i have just been dealing with it since it only happens once in a while and i have noticed it is more frequent if i pull the bolt back fast and hard trying to do quick shots , but not always the case . lets us know whats up thanks and yes it is a pain to recock it .
    Last edited by Snyper2384; 09-06-2011 at 07:26 AM. Reason: add to it

In Remembrance

As soon as I hear back I will let you know what they decide.

In Remembrance

WOW that was fast, at least I think so. I figured it would be gone a month or more but it is back and we tried to get it to malfunction again to no avail, so far it works.
    I really couldn't see what they fixed but I didn't take the bolt apart and the work order that came back with the rifle showed all small parts in the bolt were replaced and the rifle was test fired.
    There was no charge for anything, they even paid shipping both ways so I have to give Savage a two thumbs up on how they took care of this problem, that is good customer service.

Snyper2384, I suggest calling them and getting them to fix your rifle because they made it a painless ordeal.

Boolit Buddy
    Savage is a good comp. and thay will take care of you even if your not the first buyer

In Remembrance

Here is probably the final update on this rifle, thru actual firing of live ammo. My friend finally got to take it back out to the range and it functioned flawlessly thru fifty rounds of PMC bronze 55 grainers. He is a happy customer of Savage.