Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in .375 Ruger

Boolit Master

Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in .375 Ruger

Buddy of mine bought one, just came from his place after putting 3 factory rounds through it off hand at about 30 yards or so.
    I'll end up doing the load development for this rifle, so I'll have it in a couple of weeks after it gets some glass, but I must say I'm impressed. It's handy, a passable trigger out of the box and very smooth with very usable open sights. Recoil was absolutely tolerable offhand and the short bolt throw is quite nice, easily manipulated from the shoulder. Myself I don't know if I would put glass on it, at least right away, all three shots were 1" or so group just slighty low of the aiming point (I know only 30 yards, so don't laugh).
    Anybody have one, and have any powder suggestions? I've loaded a lot for the H and H, but never this round, have a good assortment of the 4350's, 4831's and quite a bit of R 22 on hand. I'm thinking of maybe a cast load with a full jug of AA8700 I've had kicking around here for some time too.
    Thoughts?

Boolit Master
    My brother just purchased a .375 Ruger from CDNN. He had a 1 1/4" 3 shot group. I'll check on the specifics and report back.

He did have some trouble sizing brass, and I will get the details on that as well.

Boolit Master
    Well, I gotta be careful when I tell Pangs I like a gun. Told him I was thinking about getting one too, sent me a text message letting me know mine was in stock 4 days later.
    Damn, he's spending my money faster than I can.
    Better get a mould I guess.

Boolit Master

My son has one of the .375 Rugers with the wooden stock. I fired a few rounds through it. I have a .375H&H and I can say that the big Ruger leaves nothing on the table when it comes to comparisons to the H&H. Shorter action to boot. It is nice.

I have had good results with mine. I did however add some lead in the stock (from the factory it weighs about the same as a typical .30'06) and a Pachmayr Old English pad. See this thread for details.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=85914

I still have not tested the bullets Rob S loaned me but I intend to do so next weekend if this damn weather ever clears!

The .375 Ruger is phenomenally easy load with cast. It is quite accurate.

Boolit Master
    There we go, I had forgotten about the boolits I sent you. I don't know about loan as I would like to see you go get them and bring them back. I hope they fly well for you!!!

Boolit Master
    I wanted to give an update on this rifle. I mounted a Leupold VXI 2x7 heavy reticle on this, settled on an 80 grain charge of IMR 4831, Federal 215, and a Hornady 270 grain, or Nosler 260 grain partition interchangably, this chronographs out of the short 20" barrel at only about 2470 with either bullet and gives wonderful groups. I only shoot two groups, both three shots every Sunday and have for the last 6 weekends, the largest has been .79, the smallest .41. The groups are not cloverleaf shape, they are all horizontal, touching or overlapping obviously. The only modification I made to this rifle was to add a pound of shot in the buttstock of the hollow Hogue handle.
    It feeds wonderfull, and seems easy to load for. I did work the powder charge to 82, but didn't get much for my efforts, the 80 grains seems to be the sweet spot.

Boolit Master
    I've read good things about RL-15 with 250-270 grainers and 4350 with 300 grainers in the old H&H. Ruger couldn't be much different.
    I've been trying to figure out if I want a Hawkeye African .375 Ruger or a Winchester Mod 70
    .375 H&H.
    It'll be my retirement gun for my retirement trip, so I've got 20-25 years to make my mind up.

Boolit Master
    Was lucky enough to score 1 of the 100 Ruger Alaskans produced that was left handed. Buds Guns had them for for $619! Good shooter but action was a little rough. A few minutes polishing the bolt and race ways and now it is slick as snot. Put a Leupold 2.5x8 on it and love it for chasing around for brown bear in our wet weather.

Heavy Lead: there was an article about loading the .375 Ruger in the Aug 2007 issue of Handloader Mag. by Chub Eastman.

It covered the round thouroughly.

This particular issue is my all time favorite issue of Handloader as it has the very complete article by Brian Pearce on loading the .45-70 for Marlin Rifles.

I just read the .375 Ruger article again yesterday.

A back issue might be a good thing to reference in your load development prrogram.

A Lead Sled might be useful also.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Heavy Lead: there was an article about loading the .375 Ruger in the Aug 2007 issue of Handloader Mag. by Chub Eastman.

It covered the round thouroughly.

This particular issue is my all time favorite issue of Handloader as it has the very complete article by Brian Pearce on loading the .45-70 for Marlin Rifles.

I just read the .375 Ruger article again yesterday.

A back issue might be a good thing to reference in your load development prrogram.

A Lead Sled might be useful also.

Randy
    I may actually have that around here somewhere, I will look thanks.
    As far as the lead sled, you're not whisting dixie brother, I had one range session with that lightweight rifle and it kicked my posterior. I came right home and ordered one.
    It is a nice rifle, but it beats you silly on the bench. Off sticks, kneeling or sitting it's fine.
    I really like the way the round feeds, very smooth. I'm thinking it would make a great case for a .338, .300 and maybe even a 7mm. I don't need any of these mind you, but you gotta play.
    This is a drift, but I noticed Ruger now is offering the Alaska with a 23 inch barrel and a laminated stock, also they are offering the African in a 9.3x62.
    Oddly they offer the Alaskan in the .416, but not the African.

I don't know on the Ruger 375 but I use ( in order) in my 375 H&H:

1) IMR 4350 w/ Hornady 270

2) H4831 w/ Barnes 235

3) RL22 w/ Barnes 270X

The same powders also happen to work very well in 300 H&H .

Good luck with your Ruger!!

Rich

Heavy Lead: it is Aug 2007 issue #248 Here's a pic of the mag cover and the article is on Pg70

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-18-2011 at 06:38 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com