Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: your best rimfire shot ever NO BS

Years ago we worked with a guy who wasn't into guns

We invited him to come out shooting with us.

as we were unpacking and setting a big dragonfly kept flying back and forth

...back and forth . . . . back and forth

I lifted up my 10/22 and shot

the round sliced his rear-end clean OFF

His front end went down buzzing hard,, with his tail falling a bit faster.

It was complete luck, I was just horsing around.

I turned and the non-shooter with eyes big he said.

"MAN .... YOU GUYS DON'T **** AROUND"

We didn't say a word,....just smiled.

after that, we didn't have any more trouble with straffing dragonflies.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Man

Bunny story

A good friend of mine and I were out in a dog town after we had filled out on archery speed goats. The rancher had told us that he had more rabbits than dogs. I was using a Contender 22 lr. I had loaned my friend my Citation. I was walking along when all the sudden this rabbit takes off from under this little patch of sage brush. He's running pretty fast as they do when startled, I get the contender cocked, give him a little lead, swing past and let one fly. One shot, one kill. 55 paced yards. We still talk about that trip every so often. Boys being boys. Witness is always a bonus. Mike

One year before deer season a couple of friends of mine asked me to go with them to sight in rifles. We went down to a cornfield that had been harvested and set out 12 full beer cans, 6 at 100 yrds 5 at 150 and one at 300. I let them get started by shooting at the 100 yrd cans that neither one could hit square, just knock down, and when both of them had used up all 20 rnd that they brought I shot . I had also brought only 20 rnds for my Win 94 30-30 wich i prompty used up bustin all of the 150 yrd beer cans and the 3 remaing 100yrd cans.
    Jeff then said I bet you cant hit the 300yrd with your 22. I always kept a Wards single shot 22 in the truck, but only had one round in the chamber. So I rest it over the hood of the truck, find the speck thats a can at 300, give what i think to be enough hold over and then a litter more. Well when I squeezed the trigger i didn watch to see if it was a hit or miss, since I had one shot I just went to put the gun back in the truck.
    I guess that looked way too cool. both of me friends started yelling and said i had hit it. that shot is still brought up when we get together and I still have the can in the barn.

Boolit Master
    About 20 years ago I shot a squirrel out of a tall oak tree at a paced 145 yds. from the base of the tree I was sitting against. Rifle was an M2 Springfield with a little old Fecker 4x scope in Unertl mounts, and Eley Tenex ammo. From using that rifle and ammo in smallbore silhouette competition I knew how much elevation to dial in for 100 meters, but knowing this squirrel was a lot further than that, I hadn't a clue how much more I needed so I dialed in a bunch more and hoped for the best. Bang! Wait a second, wait, it's coming, wait... and a faint smack- and the squirrel fell in slow motion out of the tree. The bullet caught him square in the chest. My buddy came walking over, shaking his head. He told me if I ever need a witness for that story he'll back me up.

The other was the time at a range when I was making my Match Target Woodsman sing by swiss cheesing some empty .22 shell boxes. Another range hound came over and remarked as how that was some fancy shooting at 25 yds. but he'll bet me I can't do it at 50. Well, I bet i could, but I was out of ammo to prove it. Yeah, suuuuure. I scrounged in my range box and found one lone lint covered old .22 short under some junk. I grabbed another empty .22 shell box and walked down and set it on the 50 yd. butt. By now a small crowd had gathered as I slipped that old short into the chamber of the Woodsman. Gulping mightily, I gave it some Kentucky elevation and squeezed it off. Darned if that box didn't topple over, and upon inspection there was a bullet hole smack dead center. Boys, I'm here to tell you I never duplicated that shot before or since, and with a .22 short no less! The beer I won from that bet was especially sweet.

Moral of the stories: even a blind hog finds an acorn now and again!

Boolit Master
    When I was about ten I shot my first rimfire. The adults set up two cans with a stick sitting upright out of the top. Idea was to hit the can and if you were up to it just hit the stick. Cans about two feet apart maybe twenty five yards downrange. First shot hit the stick and broke it right out of the can. I didn't mention I was aiming at the can a couple feet away.

Boolit Master

I was about 14 and had been out chasing tree rats, etc. with my grandfather's .22. My grandmother came out to join the fun with her 2" barrelled .22 pistol. To strut her stuff, she picked out a branch at the top of a nearby 50' oak tree and cut the thing off with one shot!

Later, I was on my way back to the house with both the pistol and the rifle when one more tree rat "volunteered". I looked at the rifle in my left hand and the pistol in my right and after a brief debate, chose the pistol. The squirrel wasn't far off - maybe 15 yards or so, but I was more than a little surprised when the first shot removed the top of his head!

No one else can hit the broad side of a barn with that thing.

My grandfather taught us how to clean squirrels, and my grandmother would cook all we cleaned. My grandfather would help us with cleaning but refused to eat them - said he'd had all he wanted surviving childhood. Sort of like my aversion to ramen noodle that I developed after surviving college, but on a different scale.

I've got a lotta chucks on my place. Garden raiders. This spring I saw one from the bedroom window, halfway up the hill. Grabbed my scoped Marlin 39, which is kept loaded for the purpose, and started out the kitchen door to go around the corner of the house to draw a bead. Two steps from the door I looked over by the chicken shed and darned if there weren't two more on the short grass about 90 - 95 yards away. One snap shot offhand took the first one, levered a new round in as fast as I could and popped the second one before he even figured out what happened to his pal. Like a right-left, duck hunting. They were both dead right there, too, which ain't common with a .22 rimfire at that range. CCI Mini-Mag hollow points. I'll never be so lucky again.

Shooting the hole in a washer was one of Ed McGivern's standard tricks. He would do it with a .38 revolver, too. Legend has it that he rarely missed.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    16 years old shooting squirrels. My buddy bet me I couldn't shoot a black bird off the top of a sagebrush off hand. It was 150 yards out and I had my single shot sears .22 with a 4x bushnell on top of it. I knocked him off that sage brush with the first shot. Better to be lucky than good LOL

Redtail hawk, 110 yards, S&W M17, Winchester Hi-Speed HP.

My standards may not be as high as some people's, but I've made more than a few that I'm pretty happy about. The first one that comes to mind was one that I made about a year ago, at the end of a bad day hunting. I was out with a Handi in .223 with Iron sights, shooting cast. My buddy had a slicked up .204 Ruger with a big scope on it. We didn't see any game animals all day, so just as we were packing up to leave, we decided to pop a few water bottles. He showed off his hi-dollar rig, then asked to see what I could do at about 150-yards. My first shot missed high. I asked how high. He said about an inch. I said that I was going for the center of the Fry's brand label on the bottle with the next shot. That's just where it hit. It took the F right off of it.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master
    On one of my practice sessions at my "lead bank" I spied a ground squirrel spying on my close range shooting progress.

I belly crawled up to the top of the berm and started to estimate the hold over to the rock cliffs where the varmint stood on top of.

I figured it was about 75 yds tops ........... five of those squirrels could be stood side by side on top of the weapon's partridge front sight.

In moment, the squirrel split ..............

.............. and a moment later ................ another one stood up right in the same spot .......

I caught my breath ........... and bang! ........... the squirrel disappeared and ...........

............... then .................... it's tail jumped into view ............ shaking and then withering down.

The weapon:

A lose as a goose Smith and Wesson K22 .......... six inch (mid 50's vintage)

I later lasered that three times and to my astonishment:

101 yds!

Witness's ............. NONE!

Three 44s

Not as awesome as some others here, but...

I dropped my daughter off at my in laws before work and there was a squirrel in the tree in the driveway. FIL came out with the .22 and popped two of them. He couldn't see the 3rd but I could. He handed me the rifle, I took one step back, lined up the sights on the top of its head and sent it. Miss! The little bugger ran across the tree branch and tried to jump to the other tree. Immediately after I shot I chambered a new round. When I saw him jump I gave him some lead and POW, saw his arms fold in. Shot him in the chest on his fall to the ground.

That was Allison's first hunting trip with Daddy and Grandpa at 3.5 months old. She was in the car the whole event, maybe 2 minutes. LOL
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Boolit Buddy
    Summer after I graduated from high school I poured 34,000+ rounds (by actual count!) through a 10/22 and my Dad's High Standard H-D Military. Hey, I had a job and nothing to buy but ammo and cheap gasoline. Lotsa lucky shots show up when you're shooting that many times out in the field. Read McGivern's book, and spent hours and hours shooting at big tomato cans or oil cans (remember those?) tossed up with my left hand. Actually got good enough that 3 hits on an airborne can was relatively routine, 5 was rare! Big empty ranch country, but still dangerous and foolish. Redwing blackbirds were thick, shot lots of 'em on the wing with the 10/22, but missed many, many more. Used to sit by the stock tank dam and shoot at dragonflys on the wing, but probably didn't average one hit for 50 rounds-and they were generally plenty close. Still hoping I didn't drop a bullet into some neighbor's yearling..........

Boolit Mold
    My best shot on a live critter was a grackle at 190 yards, one shot, drilled that pest into the dirt!

My best long distance shot was a 10 shot group on a 3.5" steel plate, all shots connected including the first one!!!

I shot a clay mounted on a fence post at ~110 yards off hand with my 10/22 and a red dot sight last weekend.
    Last edited by The Amateur; 10-07-2011 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Addition
    73, KC5CQW

Hard work usually pays off in the end but... Procrastination pays off right now!

Boolit Mold
    I forgot to say the 3.5" plate was at 300 yards.

Boolit Buddy
    I was walking an orchard back when I was 15 and got 50 cents a squirrel tail from the owner. A squirrel heard he coming and made the mistake of running directly away from me up a slight hill. Offhand with iron sight I drew a bead on him with my old Ward Western Field bolt action 22lr. Drop him clean with one shot at eighty yards. I know a rising shot is the most natural to make, but I still remember it vividly 35 years later.
    More recently I drop a crow offhand at 110 yard with my CZ452 22 magnum. Does that count? That 452 makes more shots than it misses though.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by jblee10 View Post
    I was walking an orchard back when I was 15 and got 50 cents a squirrel tail from the owner. A squirrel heard he coming and made the mistake of running directly away from me up a slight hill. Offhand with iron sight I drew a bead on him with my old Ward Western Field bolt action 22lr. Drop him clean with one shot at eighty yards. I know a rising shot is the most natural to make, but I still remember it vividly 35 years later.
    More recently I drop a crow offhand at 110 yard with my CZ452 22 magnum. Does that count? That 452 makes more shots than it misses though.
    Ya gotta love a CZ! I have a 455 American and LOVE it.

Boolit Master
    i'd have to say the luckiest shot i've ever seen was when i was about 16yrs. two friends and me went to a freinds farm to hunt rabbit, and squirrel. after a couple hours and we were bored, we stared playing around. so we found some soda can's and set them up on the opposite side of a pipeline, it's about 25yds wide. one of my friend was just about to shoot at a can when a crow came flying towards us at about 80yds. he raised the rifle up and basiclly shot from the hip, just playing around trying to scare the crow away. well the crow fell from the sky dead as dead can be. we all looked at each other like B.S. that did'nt just happen. sure enough we found the crow, he was shot right in the brest. i've seen alot of folk's make some very good shot's but that was the luckiest shot i've ever seen.

Banned
    My luckiest shot(s) 5 to be exact.
    A converted Swedish 12.7x44R (almost 50-70) made into a hunting rifle in the 1890's with fixed sights. At a long distance shooting in Sweden, target (1mx1.2m~1.1x1.3yds) at 580m~635yds.
    A lot of Kentucky elevation (held at the bottom of the red V a natural tree branch) read WAG (wild a$$ guess) and the first shot was a hit! The other 4 shooters said pure luck and no way was i ever going to hit again. Well i hit it 3 times out of 5.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast