MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: your best rimfire shot ever NO BS

Boolit Master
    I was aiming at a crow in a tree top about 125+ yards away. That would have been a decent shot but nothing to brag about. The kicker is that just as I tightened up on the trigger the crow spotted a reflection from my scope lens and instinctively sprang from the limb and dived for the bright object. As I fired the crow basically dove striaght into the path of the bullet, taking the slug right between the eyes.
    So thats my Jed Clampett shot, hitting a crow on the wing right between the eyes at 125 yards with a Glenfield .22 Carbine and cheap 4X Tasco scope.

That little rifle was wonderfully accurate though, and I used Winchester target grade ammo that gave 100 yard groups of less than an inch if there was no wind.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    I was aiming at a crow in a tree top about 125+ yards away. That would have been a decent shot but nothing to brag about. The kicker is that just as I tightened up on the trigger the crow spotted a reflection from my scope lens and instinctively sprang from the limb and dived for the bright object. As I fired the crow basically dove striaght into the path of the bullet, taking the slug right between the eyes.
    So thats my Jed Clampett shot, hitting a crow on the wing right between the eyes at 125 yards with a Glenfield .22 Carbine and cheap 4X Tasco scope.

That little rifle was wonderfully accurate though, and I used Winchester target grade ammo that gave 100 yard groups of less than an inch if there was no wind.
    It is good when you get champagne performance at beer prices!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

my brother shot at easily 250 yards a squirrel in the ear sitting on a fence post he laid on the ground with a 22 and a 4 power cheap scope we bet bill he couldnt hit it , it dropped instantly we thought it ran down the post , as we couldnt hardly see it .. walked out to check it , right in the ear on the side of the head i could see hitting it with a good varmit rifle but a 22 wow ...

I was always fairly good at hitting things from the hip with my 10/22. I was sitting in a lawn chair, leg crossed with the rifle across my leg. There was a big sunflower about 35 yards away. I bet my buddy I could clip the stalk. I did. Better to be lucky than good.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Buddy
    Just thought of another one that's kinda funny...

Years ago, just after getting engaged to my wife, I ended up living with her and her family for a while. I had an Anschutz model 64 22 and used to walk out behind their place to shoot rabbits with it. About the same time, I started noticing cat tracks all over the hood, window, roof etc of my car. They didn't own a cat so we figured it was a stray. Well, one day when I was getting back to their house, (actually a trailer on a foundation with an addition off one side) this black cat comes out from under my car and streaks towards the trailer. I just whipped up and snapped a shot looking over the top of the scope. Now, I used to practice that stuff years ago just out of boredom and actually found it to be pretty easy to hit just gapping off the muzzle like you would an arrow when shooting a bow with no sights. When I shot, the cat kinda swerved and ran under the trailer. I saw dust kick up behind it and I figured I'd missed. That thing was really moving out!

Fast forward about a week...

I went in the bedroom I was using and thought I smelled a faint whiff of something dead. Figured it must be a mouse or something. Next day it's a little stronger. Day after that it's pretty obvious and my fiance notices it and comments. Of course, I've got no clue right? In another day or so it seems to be coming out of the floor vents for the AC. By day 5 or 6, it's getting pretty bad everywhere in the trailer and we're taping paper over the floor vents. Each day is exponentially worse than the day before! Back on about day 3 or so, I'd started wondering if maybe I'd hit that cat after all... But I thought, nah... it was moving too fast and I just snapped one in the general direction. What are the odds?

Day 7 and EVERYONE is suffering, father and mother-in-law are going nuts trying to figure out what's up. General consensus is that some animal has died under the trailer....duh! I offer to crawl under and look around a bit because I'm just a nice guy right? No dead critters or kittys to be found but there are two places where the fiberboard over the outside of the floor joists is falling down almost to the ground... Makes a nice little ramp for critters to walk up and get into the actual floor area. I look and look, shine a light but can't see anything. Being as this is in SW Arizona, I'm a bit concerned about snakes, scorpions etc. After a good while, I give up.

Two days later, my fiance's dad goes under and starts pulling down floor covering and finds "something big, black and fat with short little legs like a piggy bank" up under the floor. That darned cat all swelled up and ready to pop! He gets it into a garbage sack and hauls it away to the relief of everyone in the house. Meanwhile, I keep mum but a year or two later (after the wedding) I come clean and we all got a good laugh. That story still comes up most times we get back there for a visit.

It really was a pretty good shot....
    Last edited by Dave Bulla; 10-13-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 161 View Post
    I still remember in the cold morning air the steam of Dad's breath on the back of my neck saying OH S--T.
    Great story!! Thanks for the laugh.

I once tapped a red squirrel as he came down the tree head first.
    Shot number one made him freeze. Shot number two had him doing a hollywood western bad guy drop to the ground. When I got to him at the base of the tree, I noticed two little holes almost touching right behind the ear......
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Bub
    I have a High Standard Supermatic Trophy that I use for Bullseye and am practicing for an upcoming match. At the 50 yard line I put a 12 gauge empty on top of the frame. Hit it with the first shot. The practice didn't do any good at the match though.

Boolit Master
    last deer season I took my mother and my wife to the deer stands to hunt and I took a browning buckmark carbine to a stand that overlooked a feeder at 50 yards to shoot some corn robbin squirrels. I was trying some aguila sub sonic pistol ammo (not the 60 grain kind). Most were one shot kills, but the last one, I shot that guy 6 times. He would just move a little and look around. It was like I was missing, but I knew I wasn't. I kept moving the sights to try to compensate like the scope was off. I finally quit shooting and he fell over. I recovered the 8 dead squirrels I had there and the last one was perforated all over the head and upper chest. I have never understood why he was so hard to kill even though he had two through the head!! Nothing to do with a lucky shot, but one of my most memorable.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Grand Master

But my best shot WAS a bull! But here's my second best.

At the age of 15 ANYTHING is possible. Larry and I were out shooting with our 22's and we had just about done in our ammo supply for the week we were down to on solitary 22 short when we spotted the owl that had been taking chicks from the farm yard. There he perched in the top of an old cottonwood just about 200 yards away. I looked at Larry and then at the 22 short he was holding out in his hand, "Bet you can't hit him". I cranked open the bolt on my new Remington 514 and slid the tiny shell home, "how far away do you suppose he is"? "Oh must be 40 rods or more" (farm kids talk 200 yards or so to you city kids). "How high do you think I should hold"? "Oh a good ways ove him I'd say". So I put the bead between his eyes and then raised up about a foot over his head and let fly. Pop, "Ya missed him"! and then as we watched the big old owl slowly spins off the perch and drops to the ground, whupm. We pace it off as best we can and figure the shot was at least 200 yards, the bullet took the owl right between the eyes. I took the carcase home and my grandfather gave me a whole box of real LONG RIFLE shells for dumping the owl. A lucky shot, you bet but the thousands of rounds of 22's that went down the barrel of that 22 didn't hurt any either.

By the way this was long ago when owls and hawks were pests and well prior to any legal restrictions.

Boolit Grand Master

17HMR on a standing Prairie Dog, at 135yds. via rangefinder, from the bench,
    w/9x scope, on a single shot H&R. At the shot, I could see a red spot on the neck, but the dog just sat there not knowing, I guess that it was dead. Took ;8-10 seconds before it just toppled sideways. Hor. ammo by the way.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Quote Originally Posted by 1Shirt View Post
    17HMR on a standing Prairie Dog, at 135yds. via rangefinder, from the bench,
    w/9x scope, on a single shot H&R. At the shot, I could see a red spot on the neck, but the dog just sat there not knowing, I guess that it was dead. Took ;8-10 seconds before it just toppled sideways. Hor. ammo by the way.
    1Shirt!
    Thats one of the best thiings about the 17HMR, it is like watching the action on TV! No recoil.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Quote Originally Posted by x101airborne View Post
    I have never understood why he was so hard to kill even though he had two through the head!!
    Just one tough S.O.B!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

I was bird hunting with my father in law. We were walking along a hedge row by a corn field. He started chasing a squirrel with his H&R 410. He was shooting at it some and seemed like he was having a good time so I started walking through the cut cornfield towards a patch of woods. I kept looking back and he was looking for the squirrel to try another shot. I spotted it better than 3/4 the way up one of the trees. I was 70 yards (paced it out) out in the field and had my single six with me and figured what the heck maybe I will scare it and he will see it. I pulled up with it single handed and let his head rest on the front sight and touched of a round. The squirrel fell out of the tree. I didn't believe it so I walked over to were it fell and met my father in law. Sure enough, there it laid with bullet hole through the head.

That has to be my best (read luckiest) shot that I have ever made.

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Quote Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
    I was bird hunting with my father in law. We were walking along a hedge row by a corn field. He started chasing a squirrel with his H&R 410. He was shooting at it some and seemed like he was having a good time so I started walking through the cut cornfield towards a patch of woods. I kept looking back and he was looking for the squirrel to try another shot. I spotted it better than 3/4 the way up one of the trees. I was 70 yards (paced it out) out in the field and had my single six with me and figured what the heck maybe I will scare it and he will see it. I pulled up with it single handed and let his head rest on the front sight and touched of a round. The squirrel fell out of the tree. I didn't believe it so I walked over to were it fell and met my father in law. Sure enough, there it laid with bullet hole through the head.

That has to be my best (read luckiest) shot that I have ever made.

Jerry Jr.
    It's hard keeping a straight face after shots like that!

1983, back before the last oil bust, and I was in the drilling business.
    I had a Gold Cup I carried under the seat.
    Promoter that we were drilling the well for had a .357 loaded with .38 specials, he was shooting at oil cans in the reserve pit with the .357. I asked him if he had any real ammunition for that 357, rig crew gave me a "woooo!".
    So I got my 45 out, shot at the oil can once, hit it low, it flew straight up, I tracked it with the 45, 45 went off again. I hit the can. Lucky accident.
    I gained great status in the community, and roughnecks who could break me in two like a cheap pencil were saying "Yes sir" as opposed to "wooo" thereafter.
    Everybody grab a shovel, we got a swamp to drain.

A clay pidgeon set up at 75 yards with a Remington 241 unscoped. First shot broke half of it off. 2nd shot powdered the other half. offhand.

Boolit Master
    I shot a duck in a pond 200 yards off in the head once, even had witnesses. PEEP SIGHTS even called the shot no rest of course! I would not have remembered that, but when I was talking to an old military buddy he reminded me of the shot and said he was completely amazed. I would shoot the pecans off the tree without hurting the nut as a kid. Shot a little striped gopher in the head at 100 yards as a kid the first time I went out with a 22, I think my dad was a little thrilled and a maybe a little jealous as I could always outshoot him with his own guns. I could hit a flipped quarter with my little H&R 922. Lots of practice and a little luck.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

i started this thread not know if it would be a good you or if anyone would evenwright on it but to my shock it seems like a hit so keep them going and keep reading them.

OK, I've giving you 3. This is the last one.(Maybe I need to shoot more, haven't made a great one in a while). About sixteen maybe seventeen years ago, I had been playing with one of my Marlin 39A's at 150 yards with iron sights, Redfield receiver on back. A girl I was dating at the time was with me on the back porch at the shooting bench and a rabbit came out of the woods next to the 150yard target. She said "I bet you can't hit that rabbit with iron sights, that being a .22 and all. I said "Well lets see". I cranked the sight back up to where I knew was on at 150 and took aim and the truth is I couldn't see the rabbit through the peep so I had to figger where the rabbit was and then shoot at a spot. Touched it off, the rabbit jumped about 3 feet in the air, hit the ground,kicked three times then was dead as a hammer. She was impressed Me, I was just glad I hit it because I realy could'nt see the darn thing.
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

Another squirrel

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    The year after I graduated high school, a friend and I went rabbit hunting on his Cristmas vacation. For three days we had kicked a rabbit out of one brushpile that he missed with his bolt action magazine fed .22. The fourth day I had him kick the rabbit out and I drilled a perfect heart shot on the run with my single shot (he had been thinking his was better because of the magazine).

A few years before that I shot a squirrel that was facing me with a CCI .22 Short HP at about 40-45 yards. I found the bullet in an almost perfect mushroom under the skin of his rear leg, I had that bullet in the misc. box for a long time.

Robert
    I did almost the same thing while hunting squirrels on the Cumberland Plateau in TN one fall. I was out hunting with a friend, and carried my ancient Rem Scoremaster that I mounted a cheap 4x scope on. I was loaded with 22 shorts. While sitting on a log, I spotted a squirrel looking right at me. I shot and dropped him; amazing how well those shorts penetrate! The bullet ranged completely through from front to back, and stopped under the skin on a hip. Distance was a modest 30-40 yards, offhand.
    Wayne

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast