WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: your best rimfire shot ever NO BS

your best rimfire shot ever NO BS

ok i love to here about the best shot i ever made with a rimfire storys. please NO BULL **** no rule 16 and no storys starting with there i was.

my best shot was many years ago I was just getting into shooting as a kid. I started with a old yogo training rifle I got from ACE and i dont even know what ammo. I was lucky and lived out in the stikes and was able to hunt almost all year. Anyway the shot that i can still see in my head is of a rabbit i shot about 120 yards out. I hunted in a patch were thay started trees in before thay moved them to biger lots. thay had rows that were about 8" or so and i only seen the back of the rabbit and never even really planed on hitting the dang thang my buddy bet me a box of ammo on it. Now that i think about it the bang target was only about 1 1/2" and with the old gun and a 5 doller scope was a one shot i bet i cant redo. here's to the shots we wish we had on tape lol

Boolit Master

Best group instead of best shot.
    I was at the range shooting a Win. 52 and a Remington 37. I have just one Unertyl scope and was switching it between the rifles. I had shot both at 50 yards and was ready to head back to the house. That day the Remington seemed to better the Winchester at 50 yards.I had put up a 100 yard target but had not fired on it. I put the scope back on the Remington and tried it at 100 yards. Since there was an adjustment needed to switch between the two rifles I was not zeroed at 100. I fired one,two,three rounds and could not find my bullet holes to make a sight correction. I fired two more rounds and could not see where I was impacting the target.
    I walked up to the target and about a foot low was the impact point. When I got home and measured the 5 shot group it was 5/16" Center to Center.

15 years old and a Marlin 39A. Offhand at @ 70 yards. A dove in the top of a pecan tree. 2nd shot (missed clean on the first - I don't even remember him flinching) took the top of his head off.

A true Holy $h!t shot (and maybe a little luck).

Wes
    If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.
    SASS 17373
    Proud Dad of a USAF Airman

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Back when I had good reflexes, good eyes, and lived where there was quail, I pretty consistently shot quail on the wing with a .22 Marlin.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

many moons ago me and 2 buddies was plinking turtles at a pond and we made our way around to the other side. one of them said something about leaving there pop on the bank on the other side (the pond was about 50yrs across) and i said here i will open it for ya!!! before he was able to say a word i popped a shot off. offhand i spun the lid off and up in the air around 5ft. we figured i hit just below it, when we got back over there i had just nicked the lid enough to spin it off. he keep his pop out of sight after that!! that was with a westernfield pump 22 with open sites.
    Last edited by camaro1st; 09-19-2011 at 11:31 PM. Reason: added
    man who pees uphill gets feet wet with experience

Boolit Master

25 rounds back to back out of my Savage 93R17 FV 17 HMR just one big jagged just under a quarter in size,new rifle at 100 yds. Do have the target to prove it.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

"Moderator Emeritus"

7 Grouse out of one tree. Started at the bottom and worked my way up.
    Krag35

I have never met a dishonest dog.

Expatriate, in my own country.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I forgot about pheasants at nearly 250 yards, on plowed fields. Walked the shots in.

Did I mention these things were illegal? Statute of Limitations are WAY down the road on these, though.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    One night at the range some guys found a junk arrow from the archer club. They hung it on a target hanger with the axis in line with the range at 25yds. They were banging away at it with pistols. I had my mossy 144 LSB that night. I slipped on into the chamber, got into a nice solid standing position and started my little figure 8s. Squeezed one off. Bullet split the aluminum shaft all the way down to where it was already kinked. I coolly opened the bolt and put it back into the case like nothing unusual happened. In side I was scream HOLY *&$_
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Buddy
    Shooting a 70 series Colt 45 frame with a Kart 22 conversion on it - finally managed to shoot a true one hole group at 50 feet. Actual hole was approx .23 but it was one round hole, not a cloverleaf. I know it was more luck than skill, as 22 ammunition just isn't capable of shooting such tight groups but didn't matter to me.

Carried that target in my billfold for the next 10 years - never could duplicate it.
    In these parts, often one's very life may depend on a mere scrap of information.

We were target practicing and my buddys truck was about 25yds. away, I told him I am going to shoot the little ball off the radio antenna, he goes OK and I shot and "Ping." it disappeared.
    Marlin Golden 39A.

Statute of Limitations
    I was 13 Dad took me along deer hunting with my Glenfield .22 because he had seen some fox the day before. 3 does came in Dad shot one with his 20 ga. the other two ran and stopped about 70 yards away. Being a little kid I asked if I could shoot. Thinking I would miss he said OK. I leaned against a tree and asked where to aim. Dad said put one right behind her ear. So I did she dropped like a rock. I still remember in the cold morning air the steam of Dad's breath on the back of my neck saying OH S--T.
    "Some times it's just better to smile an walk away."

"Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
    -Butch Cassidy & the Sun-dance Kid

In Remebrance

Coyote with a 22 short HP out of my 4" Smith Kit Gun, offhand, at about 60-65 yards.Couldn't have put it any more centered and level with his eyes if I'd had a laser guided missile. Pure luck on my part. I'm sure.

With a rifle, a skunk we'd live trapped and turned loose in a big hay field. Junior and his buddy emptied a clip each from their rifles and never cut a hair. By the time I got my Remington pump clone, open sights, he was pushing 110-115 yards. 3 shots, 3 hits, you could hear the bullets hit with the standard velocity ammo I had. Again, lucky.

Most impressive shooting, stopped by the Fish and Game Club range one night to watch the 22 shoot. Friend had a brand new Marlin target rifle. I forget the model, but it was like the 2000 or something, a very limited production rifle you don't see anymore. He had a nice Leupold target scope on it too, 12 or 15x. He handed me the rifle and invited me to try the swingers at 50 yards offhand. Nailed all 4, then he said there's 5 rounds in the mag, lets see you hit that little one again. Yup, popped it. I couldn't do that again in a million years, but i had a good rep in town for some time after that. I think the little one was 1".

Boolit Master
    pure luck, no skill.

A friend of mine, Doug, and I were taking the kids out shooting 22 at turtles at our back pond. The kids shot a lot and hit a little, but had a good time. The guns went up and the beer came out. he and I sat there for a WHILE as the kids ran through the pasture behind us. A cormorant landed on the pond about 75 yards away. As we just put 3000 dollars worth of bass fingerlings in that pond, we couldnt let it eat them. Grabbed my Browning Buckmark Carbine with a leupold on it and one handed (the other was,.... um,,,, full) shouldered the rifle and fired. The bullet hit about six feet in front of the bird, ricocheted, and hit the bird in the neck just under the head. DRT. I told Doug some lie about how good I am and he threw a handfull of mud in my face. It was all funny till I took a drink and noticed how much ended up in that can. THAT'S just MEAN!!!!
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

the best part of all the storys are that in one way or another most are with kid or back when you were a kid. One more thing to think about when you get ready to go out "find a kid take a kid or be a kid" the best times will be had.

Best shot (or luckiest) with a .22, my wife and I were at the back porch and a squirrel ran past the house and into my horse pasture.I went back into the kitchen grabbed my Ruger bearcat from the cupboard, ran back out and shot at him while he was in a dead run and rolled him. My wife was on the phone, I made her hang up and go with me while I paced off the shot. 43 long paces and hit him in the neck

Boolit Bub
    A few years ago I took a dove out of a tree at 125yds with a Marlin mod 60. I was pretty proud of myself!

Banned
    Was out at or 200 yard service rifle range doing the mowing chores and ran a target up in the butts with a new face on it. Well as I made the rounds on the mower I would stop at the 200 yard firing line and shoot a mag out of my HS Victor at the target Get back on the mower and check and paste the target when I swung around the butts. Learned that if I held right level with the top of the frame I could put the rounds in the center area of the target.
    Next day found me back out at the range and a couple of young guys were shooting a chinese AK copy at the 200 yard line. Walked up and was talking to them and they were pretty happy to be hitting on paper at that range. Told them I could hit the black with a 22 pistol and they called BS. When the bettin was done there was 2 cases of beer on the line and I set down with my hands resting on my coat on the bench and proceeded to put 10 rounds in the 8,9 and 10 ring. Never could do it again and the boys bought the beer.......Russ

In Remembrance

My best shot with a 22 was at age 14 with a Mossberg carbine rifle with a peep sight. I just bought it and went with a buddy to our pasture where the jackrabbits were thick. The first five or six we jumped I rolled on the run and then I let him try the next one which he missed several shots. It ran and then sat up on a dirt hump at least 300 yds away, looking like a little white dot. He said "let's see you hit that one". I took aim, elevated the sights at a high angle and fired. The jack dissapeared and he said "missed". Then we heard "eeee". He couldn't believe it, but I'd hit it through the head. He told everyone at school the next day and of course I just acted as it was no big deal.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast