Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bull Plate: Substitute ???

Boolit Master

Bull Plate: Substitute ???

Well it seems Bull Plate can't be ordered anymore so what
    can I use as a substitute for this until BP returns (If and When) ?

Being new, I was not aware of the seasonality issue othewise I would have
    put a higher priority in ordering this product.

If they do not come back in business, then what else can be used?

I thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Boolit Grand Master
    I heard ,now that is all heard so I can't say for a fact
    that mercury outboard oil is very similar in use
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I feel your pain I waited and out it off now I'm out. I use some left over synthetic 2 strike oil it works o.k. But it's not bull plate but will get you by

Boolit Master

Maybe NOE can spare a few tubes? I know I have a small stockpile, getting one small tube with each mold....still am working on the stuff I bought from Bullshop.

Doug

I think for aluminum bull plate original is the best. Brass seems to use 2 stroke oil ok

Boolit Master
    Use what is best but its not for sale.

Snooze and you lose.

Looks like I am in the hurt locker ![/B]

Banned
    Clear Silicone Dielectric Grease from automotive parts stores works fine. It has no petroleum. Any mold lube must be applied very sparingly and none in the cavities. I use a tiny amount on a Q-Tip and rub it to a shine leaving no excess and this works fine.

Gary

Banned

+1 on the clear silicone grease. Another good one is silicone tool and die oil, if you can find it in small quantities. Yet another one is Permatex brake caliper slide lube, in the green and white bottle at autoparts stores. My personal favorite is Sprayway #936 wet silicone spray, it finds many, many uses around the casting and reloading area.

The necessity of extreme moderation in application of what ever you use can't be overstated.

Hopefully Daniel will be back in business at some point and you can have the REAL stuff again.

Gear

In Remembrance
    I have been watching eBay for several years ... looking for a particular brand of bullet lube.
    It has never appeared, but I get a regular dose of what is on the eBay site.

Do a search on eBay for 'bullet lube'. You will find a substitute.
    I think it's been there about six months ...

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Buddy
    Here's the research I've done.
    Don't think it's 2 cycle motor oil or STP. Both have a flash point around 300 degrees, far below how hot the mold gets. This is from the MDS sheets. Brake lube would be great if it wasn't so thick, it's a grease not oil. It's flash point is around 3000 degrees, again from the MDS. If there was some way to thin it out and retain it's high temp, not necessarily 3000 degrees, maybe 1000 would be good. Anyone know how to thin grease w/o solevent?

Here's from NEI Bullet Mold's website under Mold Information:
    Sprue Plate Lube:
    A silicon die lubricant, water soluble, quick drying. Will prevent galling.
    http://www.neihandtools.com/mold_info.html

Problem with Silicon Die Lubricant is can't find it anywhere. It's flash point must be over 1000 degrees since it's used for non-ferris metal casting. This may be the stuff, but just where to find it or even get a sample to try.

Maybe some machinists can run with this and find out more and add it to lube receipes once something has been found.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 30yrcaster View Post

Problem with Silicon Die Lubricant is can't find it anywhere. It's flash point must be over 1000 degrees since it's used for non-ferris metal casting. This may be the stuff, but just where to find it or even get a sample to try.

Maybe some machinists can run with this and find out more and add it to lube receipes once something has been found.
    Isn't Lee Case Sizing Lube, in the red and white tube, silicone die lube? One thing's for sure, RCBS Case Lube II (water based) is NOT good for sprue plate lube.

Have you tried Permatex caliper slide grease on a hot sprue plate? I'm talking about the green stuff. It's excellent, although not as convenient as Bullplate.

Gear

Banned

30yrcaster

You note the flash of some petroleum products, more important than flash point is that petroleum vaporizes or boils at casting temperatures and cause voids in castings. No petroleum is a clean guideline for mold lubes.

Again, auto parts stores. They sell silicone dielectric grease for installing diodes and various electronic parts that require dielectric grease for installation or insulation.

It comes in little tubes and lasts forever because so very little is used when applied correctly with the tiniest amount rubbed out to a shine using a Q-tip.

Any pure silicone oil with no added petroleum or petroleum distillates added is also excellent.

100% synthetic 2 stroke oil will also work. Just avoid any petroleum.

There is a lot of choices for mold lubes without petroleum that causes casting flaws by gassing out or puddling and boiling in mold cavities.

Gary

Banned

Gear:

I believe Lee Case Lube is hydrogenated lanolin, waxes and texturizers. Lots of the wrong stuff for a mold lube but a great case lube..

Gary
    Last edited by onondaga; 09-21-2011 at 08:25 PM.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    Daniel and family are Alaskan subsistence hunters. This is their hunting season. When their site was up and running, they always mentioned a somewhat "closed shop" during this time of year.

Dan is a true friend of mine and in all my heart I believe he will be back to business as usual as soon as hunting season is over.

I DO appreciate the information on alternative sprue plate lubes although I am absolutely sold on the "Bull-Plate" lube.

Bob
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labι], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Made in U.S.A.
    I was able to get a supply of Bull-Plate lube
    from Daniel to keep on sending with or moulds.
    He also sent a a very nice letter.
    In the letter he stated:
    "I will continue to supply our products but will only
    correspond via the old way through snail mail."
    I wouldn't give up on Bull-Plate yet, maybe just
    drop a order in the mail and see what happens.
    A slower pace of life with the right priorities could
    be a good thing.

Swede Nelson
    The expectation of evil is more bitter than the suffering -OR-
    More people die from worrying about getting ate by a bear then get ate by a bear.

hey Gear:
    ""One thing's for sure, RCBS Case Lube II (water based) is NOT good for sprue plate lube"" funny you said that I tryed some one time and it worked way better than what i used before which was nothin. Just wipe hot mold with a cotton rag.

case lube II works good for case sizeing I put a small glob on my hands rub them to get a smeary feel than grap a handfull of brass and mush around in my hands till they are shiney then I wash hands off and start sizeing.

Banned

Gary: Thanks for that info, I didn't know what it was for sure.

Bruce381: The problem I had with the RCBS case lube was it just burned on the surface and quit working after about 20 pours. I put it on just like Bullplate, very sparingly to a hot mould. Just goes to show how different results can be between casters.

Gear

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by SwedeNelson View Post
    In the letter he stated:
    "I will continue to supply our products but will only
    correspond via the old way through snail mail."
    Let's hope that coming changes in the USPS don't make a mess of that.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    Charlie, does that mean if I mail funds , he still ships Bull Plate lube ?

Boolit Master

I've been looking online at some of the high-temperature aerospace lubes. Only problem is the prices I've seen so far have been shockingly expensive, as in hundreds of dollars per pint. I'll keep looking, but I hope Bullshop gets back into business soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast