Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 9 of 85 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959 ... LastLast

Thread: Pewter pictures and hallmarks...

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    zidave, maybe I have no soul, but other people's 40 year old bowling trophies go in the pot.

Full Mold Jack, thanks for the additions!
    Haha. That I can see, no sentimental value to you but those cups are sweet.

Boolit Grand Master

Another tea set. The pot is 10.5 inches tall and weighs 1 pound 10 ounces. The creamer and sugar are 5 inches tall, the creamer 7.5 ounces and the sugar 10 ounces. Interesting hallmark on this set... A faint original maker's mark that I can't make out heavily over stamped by the Gimbel Brothers.

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-11-2015 at 11:20 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Another Old Colony pitcher, exactly the same as the one in post 142, except this one is a little heavier at 1 pound 8.6 ounces...

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-11-2015 at 11:22 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I've picked up a few more pieces lately as well... I've been doing pretty good at one particular Goodwill store... had a new piece every time I go in there. Although I've passed on a number of pieces as well because of price.

Just yesterday I picked up a 7.75 oz ash-tray Proofmarked "TIN" & "Made in Denmark". Had to spring a whole $1 for it.

Picked up a 6 oz belt-buckle for $.50 and a small "Jefferson Cup" marked "Pewter" "Made in Italy" for $.25...

So far, ALL of my pewter scores have come from Goodwill stores... 90% of them from the exact same store that seems to get all sorts of good stuff in...

Boolit Master
    Well done sir. My best finds have been there too.

Boolit Grand Master

Found some stuff with new hallmarks...
    A 9 inch decorative plate with the classic angel hallmark, 1 pound 8.9 ounces.

A pair of Jefferson cups, 5.9 ounces each.

Another coffee and tea set. 9 inch coffee pot, 1 pound 7.5 ounces. 7 inch tea pot, 1 pound even. 5 inch sugar, 9.3 ounces.

A small salt cellar. Only 2.6 ounces, but a neat Italian hallmark.

And yet another coffee set. This one was a good score... The 10.5 inch pot is 2 pounds 7.2 ounces. A 4 inch creamer at 10.3 ounces. A 5 inch covered sugar at 12.3 ounces. All on a 13.5 inch tray at 2 pounds 8.8 ounces.

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-11-2015 at 11:24 PM.

Southern California, (South Kalifornikstan)
    Found this at our local Goodwill. $1.95 plus tax.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374416062.394861.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	76718Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374416075.136923.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	76719

Found this one also. $1.95 plus tax. I busted out the glass and removed the little gasket so the weight is all pewter.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374416545.100667.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	76720Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374416554.727272.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	76721

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RikyRacr View Post
    Found this at our local Goodwill. $1.95 plus tax.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374416062.394861.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	76718Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374416075.136923.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	76719
    A fine example of "not pewter." That's Wilton Armetale, a proprietary aluminum based alloy that is of no use to boolit casters. Tell tales (besides the RWP hallmark) are the thick body and cast in handle.

Found this one also. $1.95 plus tax. I busted out the glass and removed the little gasket so the weight is all pewter.

That's a good one with the classic markings. Thanks for the additions!

A fine example of "not pewter." That's Wilton Armetale, a proprietary aluminum based alloy that is of no use to boolit casters. Tell tales (besides the RWP hallmark) are the thick body and cast in handle.
    Thank you for the info. I would have tried to use this. I am new to casting and just started watching for pewter in the last couple of weeks.

Boolit Grand Master

Thank you for the info. I would have tried to use this. I am new to casting and just started watching for pewter in the last couple of weeks.
    It wouldn't have hurt you, it won't melt at anything close to casting temperatures. Take heart, you aren't the first (nor will you be the last) to buy a piece of Armetale by mistake.

Boolit Master

You'll notice on this piece that there's a rolled edge above the ring that has 'ENGLISH PEWTER SHEFFIELD'. If you peel that rolled edge outward you can remove that ring, which is sometimes aluminum, and the glass bottom along with the caulk. Old mugs used caulk similar to stained glass caulk but the new ones use a silicon based seal. I try to remove as much of caulk before going into the pot cuz it does very little to flux/reduce the melt. After the ring is removed, the glass comes out with a little steady pressure from the inside on one edge. That mugs enough pewter to add to 2-10 pots of alloy. I peel that rolled edge with a pair of pliers.

Boolit Bub

I was shopping for pewter for the first time yesterday. I found a lot of things that looked promising, but was afraid to commit. A thin seashell shaped piece with three candle holders (soldered on), and thick legs (also soldered on) but no hallmark. Do ALL pewter pieces have a hallmark? I saw one piece that had a funny looking 'K R', but I didn't see that mark in this thread. There were two 'teacup' sized bowls, obviously turned, by the machine marks. Is any of this pewter? Some stuff said Sheffield Silver, and seemed really cheap for silver. Is there any value to scrap silver?

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    You'll notice on this piece that there's a rolled edge above the ring that has 'ENGLISH PEWTER SHEFFIELD'. If you peel that rolled edge outward you can remove that ring, which is sometimes aluminum, and the glass bottom along with the caulk. Old mugs used caulk similar to stained glass caulk but the new ones use a silicon based seal. I try to remove as much of caulk before going into the pot cuz it does very little to flux/reduce the melt. After the ring is removed, the glass comes out with a little steady pressure from the inside on one edge. That mugs enough pewter to add to 2-10 pots of alloy. I peel that rolled edge with a pair of pliers.
    Thanks!

I love this forum. You guys ROCK!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUSP View Post
    I was shopping for pewter for the first time yesterday. I found a lot of things that looked promising, but was afraid to commit. A thin seashell shaped piece with three candle holders (soldered on), and thick legs (also soldered on) but no hallmark. Do ALL pewter pieces have a hallmark? I saw one piece that had a funny looking 'K R', but I didn't see that mark in this thread. There were two 'teacup' sized bowls, obviously turned, by the machine marks. Is any of this pewter? Some stuff said Sheffield Silver, and seemed really cheap for silver. Is there any value to scrap silver?
    Not all pieces are marked especially the amateur stuff. I'd stick to the hallmarked stuff till you've handled the real deal for a bit.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by SteveUSP View Post
    One way to look at it is that you are learning. If the piece you are in doubt over is only a few bucks, consider it tuition and buy it. Then study it, compared to a hallmarked piece of similar condition and finish. Melt and cast the pieces separately. Use a boolit mold and compare weights and such (like melting points).

Over time, you will get a good feel for unmarked pieces. You still want to quarantine unmarked stuff and check it by melting it. Look for it to melt under 450 deg.
    Jeff

Boolit Grand Master

Another couple of weeks of good scrounging. Found some weight, but mostly the same old marks. A few new ones though...

An 8 inch diameter bowl, just over a pound. The hallmark is something I'm seeing more of these days, acid etched rather than stamped.

Another 5 inch tankard. This one has a solid bottom and goes 11.3 ounces.

And yet another tea set. 10 inch tray at 15.3 ounces, 3.5 inch sugar and creamer at 9.7 and 8 ounces respectively. And the 9 inch tall, 4 inch diameter pot at 1 pound 14.3 ounces.

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-11-2015 at 11:28 PM.

My latest findings for the melting pot from a deceased estate.

Name:	pewter1.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	78406

The candle holder by Metl-craft Australia doesn't appear to be weighted at 11 ounces and has someones drivers license number engraved in it for theft prevention. The two small Selangor Malaysia cups are quite thick and weigh in at 7 ounces each.

Name:	pewter2.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	78407

Mug by Strachan is 9 ounces, not sure where this one is from?

Name:	pewter3.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	78412Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pewter4.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	78413

A small pitcher by K.M.D Tiel Holland at 7 ounces.

Name:	pewter5.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	78414Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pewter6.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	78415

Goblet, Huntly by Silcraft Melbourne Australia is 5.2 ounces.

Name:	pewter7.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	78416Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pewter8.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	78417

Total 39.2 ounces, I paid $20

Boolit Grand Master

Nice! Thanks for the additions!

Nice! Thanks for the additions!
    You're welcome

This is a great thread and I'll continue to keep an eye out for some more additions.

Page 9 of 85 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959 ... LastLast