Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 8 of 85 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast

Thread: Pewter pictures and hallmarks...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by CountryBoy19 View Post
    Anybody heard of "Eastern Pewter"? Found a small piece with those markings in plain block letter and wasn't sure. I passed on it based on price but I'm just starting the pewter searching so wasn't too sure if it was real or not.
    No, I've never seen that one, but there are a few examples of plain lettering on this thread. If it had a pewter form (thin sections, bendable, no rivets or cast marks) I would have bought if the price was right.

Boolit Grand Master

A decent score today:
    A large pitcher, 10 inches tall, 5 inches diameter on the fat part, 1 pound 6.4 ounces.

An 11.5 x 7 inch tray, 12.5 ounces.

And what looks like 10 inch shallow footed bowl that someone smashed flat into some sort of plate, just over a pound.

Hallmarks from the above, in order, pitcher, tray and flattened bowl.
    Last edited by imashooter2; 10-11-2015 at 11:14 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

It's been a good couple weeks...

No new hallmarks, but thought I'd post some weights to help my fellow scroungers. The coffee pots with the rattan handles are about 1.5 pounds. The teapots are a little over a pound. The fat coffee pot is 1.75 pounds. The 11 inch tray is 1.5 pounds. The small creamer and sugar on the tray are just 3 ounces each. The larger creamers and sugars, the Revere bowls and the square candy dish are all between 6 and 8 ounces except the covered creamer on the right. That one is Woodbury, which over time I've found is heavier construction than most pieces. It goes 10 ounces. The large porringer is just over a pound and the small one 10 ounces.

Some closer pictures:
    Last edited by imashooter2; 10-11-2015 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    It's been a good couple weeks...
    You're so... hateable.
    I haven't found squat in the last couple weeks. Lots of yard and estate sales and I haven't spent a dime.

mike
    I saw this in a cartoon once. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off...

Boolit Grand Master

Just luck of the draw... I live right around the corner from an affluent college town with an aging population. All that holloware that an upscale 50's homemaker had to have holds no interest to their kids when it's time to settle their estates.

Boolit Bub
    Found my first score today since I started looking a couple months ago. Got a 6 5/8 oz candle-stick holder mark "Woodbury Pewterers" for $.25 and a small 7 3/4 oz TIN pitcher for $.50. I was a bit skeptical that the pitcher was tin but the base & handle are both soldered on, there is a small roll-mark on the bottom that says "H K, TIN". It is very flexible/bendable even though it's a bit thicker. I'm going to say it is certainly close to pure tin.

Boolit Grand Master

Another week, a few more pieces and a couple of new hallmarks...

A footed 6 inch bowl, 10.5 ounces:

A pair of 5 inch bowls, left hand is 7.5 ounces, the footed bowl on the right is 8.2 ounces:

A shallow 9 inch bowl at 14.5 ounces:

And finally a short candlestick (7.8 ounces) and a solid bottom mug (13.2 ounces):

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-11-2015 at 11:18 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Before you melt that pewter item in GOOD condition you may want to look at this site.........
    http://www.pewtersellers.com/

I think some pewter is very valuable.

Boolit Grand Master

LOL! I'm starting to get that post once a page. Some antique pewter is very valuable. Modern stuff is not. Everything you see here is modern pewter that I got cheap because there isn't any real market for it.

Boolit Buddy

I would agree, imashooter2, just putting it out there so people will be watchful for unique pieces or pieces that look very old. Of course it goes without saying that if it has a 1800's date on it you may want to look up the value. I think the value of pewter in PA is going to rise over time.........cause it keeps disappearing.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Smokepole50 View Post
    -snip-
    I think the value of pewter in PA is going to rise over time.........cause it keeps disappearing.
    I think of it as a service, increasing the worth of people's valuable collectables. But I've always been a giver.

Boolit Man
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0121.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	72443Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0122.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	72444

I found this pewter at the local swap meet today and picked it up, I havn't weighed it yet. I purchased it with 1/4 spool of lead free solder which from what I found is at least 95% tin along with 2lb 2oz of lead fishing weights.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the addition! Are the brass pieces (assume it's brass anyway) inserts or plated onto the pewter?

Boolit Man
    The rings around the vase are plated but the emblem was attached with some sort of adhesive. It is soft and malleable appears to be brass.

Boolit Man
    Question for the pewter guru (imashooter2)....thanks in advance!!!
    Can I assume that if the word pewter is stamped on the bottom that it is actually pewter? Or can fakes be found with this stamp? Was at scrap metal yard today and may have found 30-40 lbs at a very good price!!!! Cheers Peter

Boolit Grand Master

Anything can be faked, but I've never seen an item stamped simply "pewter" or "genuine pewter" which was not. Beware of pieces stamped "Mexican Pewter," "Pewterx," "Pewter Finish" "and the like. Always look for the genuine pewter form traits... thin bodies, soldered attachments, no casting lines.

Boolit Grand Master

Another classic 5 inch glass bottom tankard. 13.9 ounces as it sits, should net 10.5 - 11. A new hallmark on this one, but it does have the standard "English Pewter" and "Made in England" that I see on most of the glass bottom specimens. Pardon the mouse pad reflection.

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-11-2015 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I don't know if I could bring myself to melt that down. It's pretty.

I think most of the scrap tin in this thread is pretty darn ugly. I don't understand why anyone would want to drink their beer from a tin tankard when it already comes perfectly prepackaged in an icy cold can. Empty cans also make a nice target for much prettier boolits, it's win win

Anyhow, on topic and before it gets sent down range, here's some pics for posterity from my recent scrounging.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tankards.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	73297Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TankLarge.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	73298Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TankMedium.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	73299Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TankSmall.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	73300

The first two are Aussie manufacturers, the larger one Huntly by Silcraft in Melbourne, the middle one says Kirra and I'm guessing by the name and boomerang in the hallmark it's Aussie too, the last smaller one is Selangor-Pewter Malaysia-Singapore.
    Last edited by Full Mold Jack; 06-12-2013 at 03:13 AM. Reason: my backwards syntax

Boolit Grand Master

zidave, maybe I have no soul, but other people's 40 year old bowling trophies go in the pot.

Full Mold Jack, thanks for the additions!

Page 8 of 85 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast