Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 7 of 85 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757 ... LastLast

Thread: Pewter pictures and hallmarks...

I just about woke up the sleeping she bear with that remark Ima...too funny.

Just had to pass on this collection of pewter at my local salvation army. They were priced 12.50, 10,8 and 2.50 for the small ones.....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1361636874542.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	62166

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by boltons75 View Post
    Just had to pass on this collection of pewter at my local salvation army. They were priced 12.50, 10,8 and 2.50 for the small ones.....
    Yep. Nice heavy pieces, but priced too high. I see pewter almost every trip I make to a thrift store. I've walked away from a lot of stuff that doesn't make my price point.

I wouldn't have the heart to destroy something like that. I would put it on internet auction and use the money to buy a cheaper pewter item. My lady has a few very heavy pewter objects that I want her to sell (or give to me to melt down - except they look too good to destroy!)

Those Asian pewter items are high lead - don't eat or drink from them.

Doh!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pewter-homer-bottle-opener.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	62245
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Grand Master

It's already melted. I guess I just have no soul.

Seriously though, as much as folks want it to, modern pewter doesn't sell for much on eBay. If it does sell, the pewter and protective material is heavy and expensive to ship. Often more than the pewter sells for. Of course eBay now adds that shipping into their final value and charge you fees on what you're going to pay the Post Office. Frankly, after you pay the PO and take all your fees out of the selling price, you're better off putting it in the pot.

Just found this in Wikipedia;
    A typical European casting alloy contains 94% tin, 1% copper, and 5% antimony. A European pewter sheet would contain 92% tin, 2% copper, and 6% antimony. Asian pewter, produced mostly in Malaysia, Singapore, and Thailand, contains a higher percentage of tin, usually 97.5% tin, 1% copper, and 1.5% antimony. This makes the alloy slightly softer.
    I was thinking of this pewter;
    The last type of pewter, known as "lay" or "ley" metal, was used for items that were not in contact with food or drink. It consisted of tin with 15% lead.
    Frankly, after you pay the PO and take all your fees out of the selling price, you're better off putting it in the pot.
    Makes sense. But sometimes pewter-ware is collectable. And double check that's it's not ancient Roman pewter-ware!

Watching TV this morning there was the lady saying that she was about to sell some trinket or other for a few dollars when she saw something on TV about it. She had it valued at $10,000! That one wasn't even Roman.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 02-23-2013 at 10:23 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Just found this in Wikipedia;

I was thinking of this pewter;
    Buying antiques, you can get leaded pewter. The modern food service stuff is all lead free.

Boolit Grand Master

Another teapot. About 5 inches diameter x 7.5 inches tall, 1 3/4 pounds.

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-11-2015 at 11:11 PM.

Can someone let me know what is the right price that is to buy any of this stuff for what we all want to use it for? or close to what should be close to the price? I have seen some in some places and think it was high for a picture frame for $5 and some others that I forgot now . Thank you
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

I like to be under $4 a pound for what I scrounge and less is better. You have to maintain discipline and walk away from a lot of stuff to get that price.

I don't know how you folks are so lucky to find such nice pewter stuff. I'm a re-enactor and I'd give anything to find cups, noggins and especially plates to eat off of in my encampment ...... I found a couple of candle sticks and I use them on my tent table !! The pewter teapot in the above picture would have been a fabulous find .....
    Gunpowder tea from a pewter teapot ..... how revolutionary !!
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I like to be under $4 a pound for what I scrounge and less is better. You have to maintain discipline and walk away from a lot of stuff to get that price.
    Thank you ,I know alot of it that I seen was more then that and did not touch it.Also I was not sure what was the price should be also.When i was not sure on what the price was I just past it up.I do that on alot of things. This is something new for looking to buy this like this .Thank you again.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    As for the cost factor, it tends to wash out for me at about $4-5.00 per lb. Some 6 oz pieces I pay $3-4 for, and some 1.5 lb pieces I pay $3.00 for. Just as soon have seven lbs at $5.00 a lb, than 4.5 lbs at $4.00 a lb.

At the same time, one of the local stores got a new manager, who wants them to be a "collectables mall", and is pricing some stuff at those levels. They went from a small shelf for the cool collectables, to three shelving units, and now four tables. Chock full of Norman Rockwell plates, and other things nobody wants. The pewter ended up there, and someone bought it at very overinflated prices, dents and all, after a couple of months of gathering dust for a $10 four oz cup.

Boolit Grand Master

Either I live in a "pewter starved community" , or somebody is beating me to it. I've looked for several years and only found a few pieces. I scored 2 weighted candlesticks because they had been dropped and badly bent. I spotted 2 marked lightweight drinking cups that they were asking $6. ea.
    The only real find was a "Dollar" type store that had 47 marked religious pieces @ 2/$1. The total weight was 17# and I got them at a discount for taking them all. I paid $20. + tax. Owner said he had dusted them for as long as the store had been open.
    Nobody around here seems to have seen any pewter at Grandma's house growing up.

Thank you for this post. I read it a weak too late. I picked up a Wilton bread tray for $2.50 last week and tried to melt it down. Turns out it contained ZINC! (I have access to an XrF machine at work that can tell me the composition.)
    Another clue I missed was that it was VERY hard to break up to put into the pot.

Boolit Bub
    Picked up 16lbs of this on Craigslist today ($40). Mostly Nantucket Pewter.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 30CalTy View Post
    Picked up 16lbs of this on Craigslist today ($40). Mostly Nantucket Pewter.
    You have to get some pictures and post them up.

Nice surprise at Goodwill this morning. Two of these cost me a buck. Netted 20.5 ounces ingoted.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1903.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	67984

The other one was in the pot when I took the pic... wasn't gonna have photo evidence of a fail.

mike
    I saw this in a cartoon once. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off...

Boolit Master

WOW - Didn't we make this a sticky yet ???????? Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Bub
    Anybody heard of "Eastern Pewter"? Found a small piece with those markings in plain block letter and wasn't sure. I passed on it based on price but I'm just starting the pewter searching so wasn't too sure if it was real or not.

Page 7 of 85 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757 ... LastLast