WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything
Page 6 of 85 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast

Thread: Pewter pictures and hallmarks...

The bride and me have been stopping in consignment shops and thrist stores for years. Wish I would have read this post years ago.

First time I read this thread was about two weeks ago and have reread it a few times since. We have been collecting up stuff for about a week now and have about 10lbs of definate and about the same in probably/maybe.

If I set the pot on about 450-480 and take it one at a time, will this tell me if I have pewter on the maybe stuff? will the maybe stuff not melt at that temp? Not sure how to do this even after all this reading.

One more question: I am finding little candle holders and such that are stamped pewter but are maid in china-etc. passes the nick test but have not seen yall discussing oriental modern pewter.
    Healing hurts. It is supposed to.

RED HORSE US Air Force

Boolit Grand Master

Melt something known, hold it at just melted and see if small chunks cut off the unknown will melt into it. That isn't a guarantee, but it is a pretty strong indicator.

I've had stuff with oriental marks on it before. It melted at higher temperature and seemed to me it had a higher lead content. I find enough hallmarked, modern and probably lead free pieces at attractive enough prices that I just don't mess with anything else these days.

unknown content usually gets smelted singly by me , by that time i have a pretty good idea if it's the good stuff or not and whether to keep it separate , imashooter brings up a couple very good points , the smelting of a known gives you some experience as well , and i've found that food service items tend to be of the better quality eg; no lead . trinkets and what nots that one doesnt use for food/drink often has more lead ( less tin ) but ...so many alloys can be called pewter it isnt funny , the hallmarked stuff is indeed the best way to go until you gain the knowledge
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I picked these up a few weeks ago. They have Banka-Tin stamped on them. They pass the bend test easy but the wife won't let me melt them anyway, says it's to pretty. They now sit in the china cabinet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351112298.334623.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	48941Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351112321.102658.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	48942
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Grand Master

If you had bought them bent and dented, they would be in your casting pot instead of the china cabinet.

Ohio's BEST CCW resource: http://ohioccwforums.org/

Got these items (pic is identical) from the thrift shop, dented up, for $3 out the door.

Royal Holland Pewter Daalderop

This hallmark, but added "DAALDEROP" to it.
    Due to market fluctuations I am no longer buying range scrap jackets.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Here is a link to Pewter Tankards and Flagons on The Wayback Machine. Not sure how long this will stay active, but for now it looks like the whole site is there intact.

http://web.archive.org/web/201106261...dsflagons.com/
    I don't know if anyone would be interested but I put the pewter marks info, pics and all, from this link into a MS Word (Office 2003) .doc format. 146 page, 7.5mb in size. It is also set up in Document Map format which, when View>Document Map is chosen, gives a "Table of Contents" frame that links to specific main categories. I didn't get the "Shapes", "Thumbpieces", or "Links" pages.

Don't know the best way to distribute though if there is interest.
    -------------------------------------
    “I apprehend no danger to our country from a foreign foe... Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger."
    — Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

------------------------------

Always looking for Savage 6b and similar .22's, and related parts.
    Feedback for Swappin and Sellin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt60 View Post
    I don't know if anyone would be interested but I put the pewter marks info, pics and all, from this link into a MS Word (Office 2003) .doc format. 146 page, 7.5mb in size. It is also set up in Document Map format which, when View>Document Map is chosen, gives a "Table of Contents" frame that links to specific main categories. I didn't get the "Shapes", "Thumbpieces", or "Links" pages.

Don't know the best way to distribute though if there is interest.
    You can just attach it to one of your posts.
    If they won't let you attach the .doc format, then just put it in .zip format. I know you can attach zip files.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Boolit Grand Master

I've seen Cobalt60's document. It's a beauty and a lot of work went into creating it.

That said, I don't know the impact to this site of posting / hosting copyrighted content from another (albeit defunct) website. I'd contact management before I just made an attachment...

Boolit Mold
    I've seen Cobalt60's document. It's a beauty and a lot of work went into creating it.
    Thanks! More time spent than anything.

That said, I don't know the impact to this site of posting / hosting copyrighted content from another (albeit defunct) website. I'd contact management before I just made an attachment...
    You are correct. Dealing a wee bit of a gray area, in my opinion also, so I'd rather keep CB at as little risk as possible. PM if interested and we'll see how that works.
    -------------------------------------
    “I apprehend no danger to our country from a foreign foe... Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger."
    — Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

------------------------------

Always looking for Savage 6b and similar .22's, and related parts.
    Feedback for Swappin and Sellin

Boolit Grand Master

Another pitcher. This one is 8 inches tall and has very heavy walls. Weighs a full pound and is 97% tin.

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-11-2015 at 11:05 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Another weighted candlestick. 9.0 ounces gross, only 4.4 ounces net.

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-11-2015 at 11:06 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

A 7.5 X 4.5 inch dish, ~7 ounces...

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-11-2015 at 11:06 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

A fair find today. 2 candlesticks and a neat box with a hinged lid. The box is 4.5 inches diameter for scale. The smaller candlestick is 6.6 ounces, the larger candlestick 8.9 ounces and the box is also 8.9 ounces.

A couple new variations on hallmarks. The box is by Woodbury Pewterers, but has a logo from the Henry Ford Museum instead of their usual mark. The box also had a sticker on it. The larger candlestick is another piece of Web pewter with yet another variation on their mark.

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-11-2015 at 11:07 PM.

I picked up a mug at the Hospice House with the Henry Ford Museum stamp today too. Nice photograph as mine is hard to read even with a magnifier.

Boolit Grand Master

A 5 inch covered tankard with solid bottom (11.4 ounces) and a classic 2.5 inch Jefferson cup (5.4 ounces). The tankard's hall mark was so faint that I couldn't get a picture, but it had the traditional "fine English pewter" and "made by craftsmen in Sheffield England" on it.

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-11-2015 at 11:08 PM.

Here's one I hadn't seen before. Netted 8 ounces.

mikeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1831.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	60124Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1833.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	60125
    I saw this in a cartoon once. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off...

Boolit Grand Master

A tea set... The pot is about 4.5 inches tall and 5 inches diameter, 1 pound 6.7 ounces. The pot lid is 4.8 ounces. The cream and sugar are 2 inches tall, 3.5 inches diameter and weigh 6.2 ounces. Their lids are 1.9 ounces each. I love finding big plates / trays. They are always heavy. This one is 11.5 inches diameter and 1 pound 12.1 ounces. The whole set is just shy of 4.5 pounds total.

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-11-2015 at 11:09 PM.

A tea set... The pot is about 4.5 inches tall and 5 inches diameter, 1 pound 6.7 ounces. The pot lid is 4.8 ounces. The cream and sugar are 2 inches tall, 3.5 inches diameter and weigh 6.2 ounces. Their lids are 1.9 ounces each. I love finding big plates / trays. They are always heavy. This one is 11.5 inches diameter and 1 pound 12.1 ounces. The whole set is just shy of 4.5 pounds total.
    If my wife saw that one it would end up in the china cabinet on display.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    If my wife saw that one it would end up in the china cabinet on display.
    Then make sure the wife doesn't get to see it until it is a dented up pile of scrap.

Page 6 of 85 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast