RepackboxLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 55 of 85 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1682

Thread: Pewter pictures and hallmarks...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris C View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one, borg. Beginning to feel like the "Lone Ranger".
    I was in Dayton, OH recently, and had a conversation with a re-loader that said that he NEVER finds pewter at the thrift stores. I stopped at the Goodwill near my hotel, and found a creamer set for $1.99. I guess I'm just lucky.

I stopped at one today, and found 2 bowls, a vase and a candle holder. It melted down to 1.5 lbs. Paid $6, so $4/lb.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Most of the Selangor I find runs 97% tin or better. I got one piece that was 99.2% Sn, .3% Cu and the rest ?%. The Preisner candlesticks usually have a maple turning or plaster turning/casting in the spindle to maintain that round shape. That ornate candlestick set at the end is a little suspicious. Looks to be plated but I haven't had my hands on it or seen the touchmark. Better then 3lbs is a great score. Good find all.
    Ok, so follow up on the Preisner candlesticks. I banged on them with a ball pain, and the ends dented and caved, but the middle only dented a little...so something was in there.
    I went cut the pewter off around whatever it was, and couldnt tell. So ICUs through it. Some kind of soft metal. I then cut it down the middle and extracted it. It looked a lot like lead or tin, but cut too easy, just like the pewter. So, next I checked the melting point...right there with the other pewter! So, it appears to be filled with, more pewter., maybe a lesser grade, with more lead, do not know.

When my ingots have sat a week or so I'll check the hardness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Somewhere in the woods of Central Oklahoma
    Quote Originally Posted by PBaholic View Post
    I was in Dayton, OH recently, and had a conversation with a re-loader that said that he NEVER finds pewter at the thrift stores. I stopped at the Goodwill near my hotel, and found a creamer set for $1.99. I guess I'm just lucky.

I stopped at one today, and found 2 bowls, a vase and a candle holder. It melted down to 1.5 lbs. Paid $6, so $4/lb.
    Well, while I'm happy for you, I'm disappointed on this end. Have talked with several of my friends who confirm pewter is pretty rare to find around here. Guess it's a regional thing. They say solder, found at garage sales and companies going out of business have been a better source.
    Chris

Boolit Master

A search of this thread for Becker Stuttgart returned zero results so I am showing a recent 14 oz find.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

This is cross section of a industrial Tin ingot, they are about 8" wide at bottom. They came 4' long. This one about 6" thick, typical lunch box size, if you know what I mean. There were 3
    plating plants they all used tin in different forms. The more modern plant used tin that was
    about 2"x4" and had a hole molded in about every 2', that was for the automatic feed on their
    machines. This chunk was cut nice and square, I keep it on my bench as sort of a anvil for stuff
    I don't want to scratch. Recently at a flea market a guy was selling ingots of what I call pot
    metal. These bars came from a old MARX toy plant. They were used to make the old metal cap
    guns. I didn't buy any, but a lot of people were buying it to make sinkers. Good luck to them,
    that stuff probly has higher melting point than their sinker molds.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sekatoa View Post
    Ok, so follow up on the Preisner candlesticks. I banged on them with a ball pain, and the ends dented and caved, but the middle only dented a little...so something was in there.
    I went cut the pewter off around whatever it was, and couldnt tell. So ICUs through it. Some kind of soft metal. I then cut it down the middle and extracted it. It looked a lot like lead or tin, but cut too easy, just like the pewter. So, next I checked the melting point...right there with the other pewter! So, it appears to be filled with, more pewter., maybe a lesser grade, with more lead, do not know.

When my ingots have sat a week or so I'll check the hardness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It is unusual to find metal filler used rather than plaster or resin. That said, as a Manufacturing Engineer, I'd say it is reasonable that the manufacturer could find it overall cheaper to use the expensive pewter they already had on hand as filler. To use some other metal would add procurement and inventory carrying costs as well as separate equipment to process.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

Pewter is scarce here in Arkansas too! When you do find any, they want antique prices. I've had better luck finding solder. I agree with you, its cheaper to buy pewter here from the members that can find it than to continue to drive around burning fuel for nothing. Its been interesting reading about your experiences and questions as you learn about our hobby. Don't get discouraged.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, lightman, it certainly has been a "journey", both literally and economically.
    Chris

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    It is unusual to find metal filler used rather than plaster or resin. That said, as a Manufacturing Engineer, I'd say it is reasonable that the manufacturer could find it overall cheaper to use the expensive pewter they already had on hand as filler. To use some other metal would add procurement and inventory carrying costs as well as separate equipment to process.
    Like iamashooter2 said, it's unusual to find metal fill. I've found it a couple times. Could be ley pewter, a lower grade with about 35% Pb or there abouts. The melt temp is still close to fein or fine pewter used for food service grade pieces.

One of the fellas I buy from went on a selling tour the past few weeks to western Va./N.C. and Charlotte. He had nothing for me but said most of the pewter he saw was heavy and had a collectible price like $300 for an 8lb platter. That would be a mighty expensive puddle!

Some one came up with a good point. I didn't think of it because was keyed on Pewter. For your
    buck, buying common Plumbing Solder, which can be bought in 50 lead: 50 Tin. I have no idea
    what it goes for new. This is not the wire type on rolls, it is sold in sticks that resemble a wrench
    handle. Sold at Welding supply stores. In pic you can see the 2 lower bars are hi in tin, the upper bar is not. They were all the same when they came off a construction job, 20yrs ago. If they are
    hi in tin they will keep the shine.

Boolit Master
    I worked with an older gentleman that did the copper work on a few houses I built and repaired. All the soldering was done on the backside or inside so the solder wasn't visible except for a thin line at the joint. It was a privilege to be his helper. He used 50/50, which he got from the roofing supply, with muriatic acid for his flux. The bars he used looked a lot like those in your pic.

Boolit Master

I have two thrift stores that I frequent and this recent score is about 10 pounds and cost under $20.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	170957Click image for larger version. 

Views:	29 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	170958Click image for larger version. 

Views:	39 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	170959Click image for larger version. 

Views:	30 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	170960Click image for larger version. 

Views:	27 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	170961Click image for larger version. 

Views:	29 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	170962Click image for larger version. 

Views:	27 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	170964
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy
    (as I shake my head in disbelief!)
    Chris

Boolit Master
    You may find yourself disappointed in the STEDE. Still a great score.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    You may find yourself disappointed in the STEDE. Still a great score.
    Yep. The Stede items are not pewter.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Buddy
    Still, I'm envious of the rest of that "find". I'd be in hog heaven with a find like that.
    Chris

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris C View Post
    Still, I'm envious of the rest of that "find". I'd be in hog heaven with a find like that.
    Me too.

Boolit Grand Master

I'll add a third. I've had some big hauls, but they are few and far between. 8 pounds in a day is great scrounging.

Boolit Buddy
    Downright disgusting, if you ask me!
    Chris

Boolit Buddy
    Okay, I've been complaining I couldn't find any pewter and now I've got some!

I persevered and "hit up" the manager at the Salvation Army store again. Told him he still had those 5 nicknacks and probably would for another couple of months at least. Offered him $15 for them and they are mine!!!!! So now I've got 2 3/4 pounds of pewter! WHEW!!!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p2081221581-4.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	290.7 KB 
ID:	171088
    Chris

Page 55 of 85 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465 ... LastLast