Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 54 of 85 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1682

Thread: Pewter pictures and hallmarks...

Boolit Buddy
    Somewhere in the woods of Central Oklahoma
    I found 6 standing "statues" from Seagull Pewter Canada. They are angels about 9" tall, thin in cross section, side view, blowing a trumpet and she has a flowing dress. I'm computer illiterate and can't seem to post the pics of the angels or the base showing the stamp from my phone. Have no idea of the weight. Felt heavy for being so thin. They want $7 apiece for them. Seems pretty high, but like I said, I had no access to a scale while there. Do these sound like authentic pewter and are they worth that much?
    Chris

Boolit Grand Master

While it is difficult to be sure without seeing and handling the pieces, yes, that sounds like genuine pewter. The horns should bend easily on the thin sections and not snap off. If they break, then don't buy the rest. Pricing is tough. If they are solid, I would expect them to be near a pound each. That would be an OK deal. If they are hollow, then they could be pretty light.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry it took me so long to figure out how to get the pics to my computer, but here goes:

The angel
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p2088746566-4.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	206.0 KB 
ID:	170650

The base
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p2122645896-4.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	225.7 KB 
ID:	170651

The backs are hollowed out.
    Chris

Chris, if my old woman read your post she would be shipping you my tin. I am butt deep in angles. Have to look them in the eye while on the can!

I missed pics while posting mine. 9" tall X 1 dem, is not going to be 1lb @. Those angles are
    poured like tin soldiers, they are solid, no doubt. 1/2lb @ would be stretching it.

Boolit Buddy
    I agree. Have a friend who is going to loan me a scale to take back to the store tomorrow so I can check the weight. I think they are way over priced for my purpose. I really don't think I can go higher than $5/lb and these things might weigh 4 or 5 oz.
    Chris

Boolit Grand Master

Concur. Hollow back would make them too expensive for me. On the up side, they are real pewter, so you can't say you haven't found any anymore.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Buddy
    Yup, but I drove for three hours today to do it. I'm beginning to think buying 1# bars of pure tin for $15 isn't too bad!
    Chris

When I buy pewter to melt, the only thing that conserns me is the weight Vs the cost. A lot of times I get bent and dinged up pieces for chump change. When you get into buying them at
    nic-nak prices you can't afford to use them. 50% of what I buy are creamers, they were a staple
    in restaurant business before the little tear off containers. Also a lot of the ashtrays that were
    sold in tourist traps were pewter up into the 60s. That stuff can be bought cheap, cheaper if
    beat up. A lot of times its painted, so you have to know what you are looking for.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm just starting at this new "hobby" of pewter hunting. Never in a million years did I assume this was part of casting and reloading. Lots to learn, for sure.
    Chris

I probably find a few lbs a week at a couple of the local Goodwill stores by me. I like to find the Pewter mugs, as they are usually $0.99.

I don't normally look at the lamp section, but I just happened to one day, and there was this large lamp with a metal base. It felt like Pewter, but there were no visible marks. I unscrewed the base enough to see inside, and sure enough there was an angel mark. All said and done, there was over 3# of Pewter in this lamp for $6.99. I was going to take pics, but the battery was dead on my camera.

Generally I won't pay over $1.99 for a piece, unless it's a big piece like a bowl or pitcher. Yesterday I found a candelabra that looked like pewter, but had no marks. It was priced at $2.99, but was already 50% off because it was last weeks tag. One of the candle holders was missing, so I asked for a discount, and they too off another 50%. It seemed like it had one of those rosin filled bases, which I hate, but the entire thing was quite heavy. When I got it home, I had to peel back the metal of the base all the way around to expose the rosin. It came out fairly easily, but there were still no marks. It was Pewter though, and I ended up with just over a pound for $0.75.

The little vase I bought along with it for $0.80 pissed me off, because it had a hidden rosin pocket. As soon as it started melting, I had that yellowish goo everywhere. I hate that stuff. I won't buy those "Weighted Pewter" candle holders regardless of the price.

Has anyone ever bought the "Pewterlite" stuff? Is it Pewter??

Boolit Grand Master

Pewterlite (or for that matter Pewterwhatever) is not pewter and has no value in casting.

Boolit Buddy
    Update: Just back from Salvation Army Thrift Store. Turns out I was mistaken and there were only 5 of the statues. They varied in weight, but averaged around 9 oz each, 2.75 pounds total. I offered them $15 for the statues and they stood firm at $35, so we couldn't come to an agreement. But the manager did say to come back in a month and he might be willing to reconsider "a little". I'm not too encouraged about it, actually. Stopped by 3 more thrift shops and found no pewter.
    Chris

Boolit Buddy
    I've a question about the "Seagull Pewter Canada" figures I spotted at the Salvation Army store. I bent one of the horns. It bent easily, but as I did it I held it up to my hear and didn't hear the metal "cry" as some have mentioned. Did the same with another portion of the figurine. What would that tell you more experienced pewter hunters?
    Chris

Boolit Grand Master

I have only ever heard tin cry in the very high percentage Asian pewters. The usual 94% American or European alloys don't make a sound I can hear.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, imashoter2, that's good info to know.

Stopped by three thrift shops and two recycling centers today..................no pewter, tin or solder. I may end up just having to purchase tin, outright, from private sources.
    Last edited by Chris C; 06-22-2016 at 06:14 PM.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris C View Post
    Stopped by three thrift shops and two recycling centers today, no pewter, tin or solder. I may end up just having to purchase tin, outright, from private sources.
    You have to have a little patience, and keep looking. It seems like there are other folks looking for pewter too, as it seems to be in short supply.

Most everything pewter is marked "pewter" or "zinn" or "etain", although it may not be marked well. You will never find baking pans, but I have found flat plates, and serving trays. The figurines are least likely to be marked, but if it's small and heavy, it's likely to be pewter. Basically scour the store for everything metal. Pewter can be shiny, but I have not yet found a silver plated piece to be pewter. RWP, Wilton and marked items are NOT pewter.

Boolit Buddy
    "in short supply"..............or maybe just not available in this area! I talked with several managers of the thrift stores I "canvased" and they claimed they seldom see pewter......just a very few pieces here and there. One said they received a box of pewter mugs...........a dozen or so...........a couple of years ago. Other than that she said she'd not seen any more than an occasional picture frame. Oh well, I've about decided with the money I'm spending on fuel for driving my truck around I might well be better off just paying to buy tin from folks here on the forum. orisolo sells 3# ingots of pewter for $25. I've been paying $15/lb for pure tin bars. Big difference...........when a pound of pewter will do just as good a job.
    Chris

I have the same problem down in TX. Seems most of the Pewter is up above the Mason Dixon line.

Boolit Buddy
    Glad I'm not the only one, borg. Beginning to feel like the "Lone Ranger".
    Chris

Page 54 of 85 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364 ... LastLast