Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 53 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1682

Thread: Pewter pictures and hallmarks...

Colonial Pewter and CAWA Tin

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colonial Pewter.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	168866Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cawa tin.JPG 
Views:	407 
Size:	2.4 KB 
ID:	168867

Boolit Grand Master

Those are new to me. Thanks for the Additions!
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Man
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0174.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	169612
    Found an ashtray at the thrift store today, hallmark reads "MADE IN SWITZERLAND FOR BLACK STARR AND GORHAM". About 4 inches in diameter, weighed in at 10.98 oz. Fairly sure it's at least a tin-base alloy, a light hammer blow deformed it pretty well and it exhibits "tin creak" when I attempt to bend it. Can anybody confirm? Pic of the mark above as well as the hammer dent. If there's doubt maybe I'll throw a propane torch on part of it to see how quickly it melts.
    Last edited by NikA; 06-05-2016 at 08:07 PM.

Boolit Master
    Usually Swiss pewter will be marked etain or zinn along with an angel holding balance type scales. Could be ????? If it's pewter the melt temp will be just above 450degF. Propane torch burns about 4 times that.

Boolit Master

I pick up a lot of pewter at thrift stores, in fact, picked up 2 pieces this weekend. I normally use the bend test when I can't see the marking and have been pretty successful with that.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Man
    Checked the piece with a cheap electronics soldering iron and was able to melt the edge a bit, so I'd say it's almost certainly pewter of some type. Bend test wasn't really practical on this: it's about 3/16" thick at the edge, so me "trying" to bend it deformed it a small amount but required enough force that I wouldn't have called it "easy".
    Last edited by NikA; 06-06-2016 at 01:59 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

The thick edge isn't typical pewter form, but if it melts with one of those cheap soldering irons, you should be good to go.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

More HallmarksClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Things Remembered.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	169963Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Preisner.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	169964Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PN Solid Pewter.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	169965Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pewter Mug.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	169966Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KMD Pewter.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	169967Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fein Zinn-.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	169968Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colonial Casting Company.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	169969

Boolit Grand Master

I see a couple new ones in there... Thanks PBaholic!

Boolit Buddy
    Somewhere in the woods of Central Oklahoma
    Okay, I've spent the last three days reading this thread and trying to learn about pewter. I've also been going to thrift shops trying to find the stuff.................only there's none to be found. I'll keep trying because I'm not too keen on having to pay $15/20 per pound for the pure bars. Frustrating to drive for two or three hours and find nothing though.
    Chris

Boolit Grand Master

The results of scrounging cannot be predicted. While I was building the majority of this thread I was very actively searching. I still went through long dry spells where I would find nothing at all and even more where I only found a small piece or two over a few weeks. Don't lose hope and good luck!

I have recently accumulated about five pounds of thrift store pewter. A couple of things I have noticed; in my home town, there is scarcely any pewter in the stores. This probably has to do with the lower economic index of my home town. Nobody has a mother that leaves them pewter anything. Around the better (read high rent) neighborhoods of Pittsburgh, I am finding most of the pewter that I acquire. The stores that have a tag sale, half off for blue this week, are the best. When I buy I try to get every discount I can. Yes I do get the senior citizen discount. I do have a price point, though. If the price is too high, I wait until the week it is discounted, or just pass. It is more efficient if I follow a route on the way home from work that takes me by a store or two. That way I only have to spend a few minutes browsing if they don't have anything.

Don't give up on the thrift stores yet, Chris, but do broaden your search and look for the stores in higher income areas.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Buddy
    I know, I know..................but it's discouraging. Been scrounging lead for the past couple of months and it's like trying to catch fish in a wash bucket.....where there are none! I'll keep trying because I've much more time than money.
    Chris

Boolit Grand Master

Much of the thrift store wares here are the tailings from more affluent areas stores.
    Mostly broken or desperation goods. Any new or of value stuff donated here gets sent on the return truck. If they had pewter it would be priced like gold, and shunned by the local clientele.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a list of six Goodwill locations in a nearby city. I'll see what I can find tomorrow. I'm keying in on more affluent areas.
    Chris

I had a nice post, went to get a cup of coffee and it "left" Anyway I read the entire post, I wish
    I lived close enough to some of you, I would trade you pure tin by weight for some of those items. And I'm no collector. I buy pewter to, but not for bullets, I pour nose caps on Muzzel loaders with it. Bought 5 little mugs this AM at flea market, for $1, wife just finished cleaning
    one in picture. I guess they won't go in pot until she tires of them. I lived near tin plate mill and
    guys brought me tin all the time, when it closed a couple years ago I managed to get several
    hundred pounds. So I'm not to the point of using pewter as bullet alloy. I have been pouring
    20:1 for most of my pistol bullets. Lead is very easy to come by also.

Boolit Buddy
    Not fair!
    Chris

Boolit Man

Pewter pictures and hallmarks...

Latest haul from the father in law. The funky broken up candle holder did turn out to pewter, though they I had my doubts at first, making it about 7 lb total. They were unmarked. The wire part wasn't. I don't know what he paid, but usually it's from a rummage sale were you fill a shopping bag of whatever for about $5 or $10. He would'nt pay more for anything. Not sure if I posted his previous haul.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Most of the Selangor I find runs 97% tin or better. I got one piece that was 99.2% Sn, .3% Cu and the rest ?%. The Preisner candlesticks usually have a maple turning or plaster turning/casting in the spindle to maintain that round shape. That ornate candlestick set at the end is a little suspicious. Looks to be plated but I haven't had my hands on it or seen the touchmark. Better then 3lbs is a great score. Good find all.

Boolit Man
    Good to know about the Selangor. The only thing I've melted down yet was the suspicious candlestick, because, well, it was suspicious and I wanted to check the melting temp...it was right there in the pewter range. The bent up wire holder was something else, it would not melt even with a small touch. The candle stick had a very small amount of small copper and brass hardware bits, not much at all weight wise.

I'll check the other sticks for wood or plaster , but they seem hollow and do dent up in the middle as they were dropped a few times and man handled after the photo. I was happy to see no stinky clay filler in the bottom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk