RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 35 of 85 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Pewter pictures and hallmarks...

Boolit Grand Master

First time I've seen the Ray Silver mark. Thanks for the additions!
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

I have to say this thread is a most wonderful resource. Saw a small vase, rather thick and heavy for its size, but the mark was too small to read clearly (must get lighted magnifier) bought it because it looked right and that part of the mark "might" say pewter.

Little browsing later and on post 207 http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post2365154 I find my mark for "Oriental" pewter, purchase was a gamble, pretty solid piece but not large for $2 might be a good deal. Knowing that it's pewter thanks to the contributions from other members.... priceless
    Last edited by RogerDat; 11-26-2014 at 08:08 PM.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    At a thrift store yesterday, I scored the following pieces. All in all, about 5.5# for $26.01! I was satisfied with this price, as I am still building my reserve for my self and my fellow bullet casters!Attachment 123203Attachment 123204Attachment 123205Attachment 123206Attachment 123207Attachment 123208 I appreciate your input on all things alloys and mixing this obsessive hobby that is known as boolit casting!!! Have a Merry Christmas. Also, some more hallmarks. I have not seen some of these, so here you are.
    Last edited by Budzilla 19; 11-29-2014 at 08:14 PM.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Grand Master

Nice macro pics. Thanks for the additions!
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master

Under 5 bucks a pound is good. Look at RotoMetals pewter is $20.17 a pound.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I am trying to keep the cost to about 5-6$ per pound if possible! Another thrift store yesterday, another 1 to 1 1/2 pounds for 6$! Hey, some times ya win, sometimes,
    well you know the rest! Haha! BTW, imashooter2, can you believe those pictures were taken with an iPhone5? Once again, I appreciate all of your advice as to hunting pewter.(my wife said,"oh no, not another hobby!") LOL Merry Christmas to you all!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Picked up a few pieces this week. The 'score' was this big Revere serving tray for $3.24. Weight comes in at 2 pounds 12 ounces! Also bought some photo frames. Two were marked. One is a 'Fetco' like Konsole has been talking about. It's heavy and feels like pewter, bends like pewter so I'm really hoping it's pewter. All three frames for $4.23. Weighs in at 1 pound 11 ounces.

Pics: The hallmark off the big tray:
    The big serving tray:

Oh shoot.... I deleted the pics from the frames except for this 'Fetco' frame.

Can any of you tell me what the pattern on the serving tray is called? I've seen this on plates and serving trays of all shapes and sizes. This is the first time I've seen this pattern on an actual pewter item.
    Mike

Politicians should be limited to two terms.

1 in office. 1 in prison.

Boolit Buddy
    I would stomp on that picture frame and spit on it first before melting it. Things that ugly should never have been made.

Boolit Mold
    delete... discovered it's SILVERPLATE BRITANNIA.
    Last edited by aletheuo; 12-03-2014 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aletheuo View Post
    delete... discovered it's SILVERPLATE BRITANNIA.
    It will still melt into your pot. Just skim off the dross left from the plating. Britannia metal is pretty much the same as pewter.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Neck It View Post
    I would stomp on that picture frame and spit on it first before melting it. Things that ugly should never have been made.
    Yes. It's awful. I'm saving the world from it's blight by melting it into something purdy.
    Mike

I've noticed 2 types of those Fetco frames that look very similar.

The ones that appear to be pewter...
    - thinner lettering
    - darker color metal with a matte finish
    - surface is smooth and the same texture front and back
    - does not say made in China (Indonesia is what I have seen)
    - its thick metal but with your hand you can still bend it and it holds that shape without breaking
    - with everything kept on the frame I have seen them weigh between just over 1# and as high as 2.25# (I've found 4 frames)
    - for some reason i seem to find these without any kind of picture in the frame

The ones that don't appear to be pewter...
    - lettering is a bit thicker
    - the metal is a bit lighter shade and more "glossy"
    - surface on the back has a bumpy texture
    - says made in China (if the sticker is still on the back)
    - I don't remember but I think I recall it doesnt bend easily
    - often has a default picture in the frame with "Fetco Home Decor" written on it

A couple days ago I found a bag with 3 very small Seagull picture frames that where only about 3-4" tall each, so Seagull makes very small frames too.
    Last edited by konsole; 12-04-2014 at 12:46 PM.

konsole,

What you've written seems to jive with the now two Fetco frames I've seen. Both said Indonesia. Both had flat backs to the frame, not concave shaped.

None have had the original paper card in the window. Both I've found had a paper sticker on the stand.

I've only ever seen one Seagull frame. I've bought 3 other brand frames that were from Indonesia also. These were marked pewter and Royal Selangor.
    Mike

Those thick, heavy, lettered picture frames that are only going to look good as a puddle also can be scratched fairly deeply with a thumbnail. On the back just in case you don't buy it. Propane torch starts a corner melting in a second or two as confirmation when you get them home.

I picked up one for .95 at a thrift store, saw two more for $1.95 at another might go back and see if they are still there. At that time had not confirmed the thing was tin/lead or anything worth having.

Did manage to secure a touch over 3# between two thrift stores and an antique mall. Paid more than I liked as it averaged out to $4 a lb. but since I don't know anyone else selling hallmarked pewter at that price... I can live with it.

Interesting conversation at cash register of thrift store. Price on a small pitcher was $4.99, sticker was right above a deep dent bigger than a quarter, neck too small to easily work out the dent from the inside. I asked if they would come down on that price, the cashier asked someone who tipped it up and checked for a hallmark then sort of looked distinctly not inclined. I figure what do I have to lose? I spoke up and said yes it is pewter but if it was ever collectible that went out the window with the big dent and really those pitchers are pretty common. Now it is just a small tin pitcher that you can only display if you turn it so the dented side does not show. The came down $1 believe it or not the antique mall had some stuff with better prices.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Does anyone have a handle on a Hallmark: McLean , Black & Co Boston Mass Quadruple plate A1213. I have a full tea service of these items. Silver plating near gone Very light weight Any tin in these? I have no problem melting these down Cost me $6 in a junk shop
    Use to pack them up in one of my men's haversaks Then give him the third degree( In front of the public) for stealing from the locals during our Rev War Events!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Grand Master

From what I see on the net, they sound like silver plate over a base metal, not pewter.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by konsole View Post
    I've noticed 2 types of those Fetco frames that look very similar.

The ones that appear to be pewter...
    - thinner lettering
    - darker color metal with a matte finish
    - surface is smooth and the same texture front and back
    - does not say made in China (Indonesia is what I have seen)
    - its thick metal but with your hand you can still bend it and it holds that shape without breaking
    - with everything kept on the frame I have seen them weigh between just over 1# and as high as 2.25# (I've found 4)
    - for some reason i seem to find these without any kind of picture in the frame

The ones that don't appear to be pewter...
    - lettering is a bit thicker
    - the metal is a bit lighter shade and more "glossy"
    - surface on the back has a bumpy texture
    - says made in China (if the sticker is still on the back)
    - I don't remember but I think I recall it doesnt bend easily
    - often has a default picture in the frame with "Fetco Home Decor" written on it

A couple days ago I found a bag with 3 very small Seagull picture frames that where only about 3-4" tall each, so Seagull makes very small frames too.
    Do all these frames have "pewter" written on them? If they don't, how do they cast when used to sweeten your boolit alloy?

Boolit Master
    I also have some figuriens Marked solid pewter hallmark is "Gabriel" Those any good metal?
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Grand Master

Those should be good to go.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Those should be good to go.
    Thanks!
    Gee, just what I need another Hobby! May as well go find what I can. I never realized the tin content was so high