Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 28 of 85 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233343536373878 ... LastLast

Thread: Pewter pictures and hallmarks...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1817[1].jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	117720Please don't melt me! Oh yes I will!

Boolit Master
    With this many pages, it's hard to remember what's made it in here...... Has a "Jacobite" hallmark been listed??

Dan

Boolit Grand Master

No sir. Got a nice macro for us?
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Nothing in the picture for scale, but to be 5 pounds, I'd expect it would have to be about 18 inches tall.
    its over a foot tall, dont know if its still there had to replace the trans in my truck this weekend, so i haven't gone back for it yet and supposedly my dad has found a guy that has pewter at the flea market, he had already bought lead bullets for muzzle loaders from him and some ingots for a decent price,

Boolit Master
    I found a 8.25" plate this weekend. The touchmark on the bottom is "MADE IN NEWPORT BY D :MELVIL" above a scallop shell over 13 stars. Research reveals that it is a colonial era, 1755-1793, pewter plate made in Newport, RI by David Melville. Museum value is @ $400, Sotheby's auction estimate is @ $200. I paid $2, the asking price, and could have paid less if I pressed the issue. I'm going to hang on to it as is or give it as a present this Christmas.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    No sir. Got a nice macro for us?
    I'll see what I can do....

Dan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    I found a 8.25" plate this weekend. The touchmark on the bottom is "MADE IN NEWPORT BY D :MELVIL" above a scallop shell over 13 stars. Research reveals that it is a colonial era, 1755-1793, pewter plate made in Newport, RI by David Melville. Museum value is @ $400, Sotheby's auction estimate is @ $200. I paid $2, the asking price, and could have paid less if I pressed the issue. I'm going to hang on to it as is or give it as a present this Christmas.

Yeah, not worth melting down due to the lead in it......... ;P

Dan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 220swiftfn View Post
    Yeah, not worth melting down due to the lead in it......... ;P

Dan
    It's the GREEN thing to do!$

Has anyone ran into any pewter with the hallmark Bisco Genuine Pewter Holland?

I saw a small tea server/creamer type deal at the thrift store at lunch for $0.99 had some heft to it but it was really shiny and felt a little heavy for it's size. I passed on it only because the line was kinda long and I had to be quick...wasn't going to wait for an unsure piece.

Boolit Master
    Dutch pewter tends to have a shinier, slicker finish with a little more attention to detail. Real pewter "feels' heavier. Buy with confidence. Great price too.

Thanks jsizemore, I'll grab it tomorrow if it's still there...and do a little more digging. I only had a few minutes to spare today.

Went back and found it...almost gave up someone walked around with it and set it on a piece of furniture.

Will have to see what it weighs when I get home, but for a buck should be a good deal. *EDIT* Weights 5.6oz
    Last edited by jwber; 10-02-2014 at 06:27 PM.

I read through this entire thread and then went pewter hunting for the first time today. Must admit I had fun looking for it at two nearby thrift stores. One word of advice...TAKE YOUR READING GLASSES OR MAGNIFYING GLASS . A lady nearby asked if I could reach a trinket of some sort on a high shelf in the first store. No problem and I returned the favor by asking if she could read the dad-blamed fine print on a pewter mug for me! We had a good laugh.

OK enough nonsense...here's what I found today (sales tax is reflected in cost on my posts in this thread):

4 1/2" x 8" tray @ 7.0 oz (my very first find for $1.05!)

Name:	IMG_0441.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	118182

Name:	IMG_0433.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	118183

10" diameter plate @ 13.75 oz for $0.31 (bent up pretty good...perfect)

Name:	IMG_0439.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	118185

Name:	IMG_0435.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	118186

4" high glass-bottom mug @ 6.25 oz (w/o glass) for $1.05

Name:	IMG_0444.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	118187

Name:	IMG_0436.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	118189

6 1/2" x 9" tray (I went out on a limb on this one. Barely a mark on the back but recall seeing the same one on Ebay that the seller claimed was pewter)

Name:	IMG_0440.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	118191

Name:	IMG_0438.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	118192

Something tells me the last plate isn't what we are after. Wasn't sure at the store but figured for $1.49, I'd pick it up just in case. I think the first three items are legit but am hoping someone can confirm.

What say you?
    Last edited by Recruit; 10-09-2014 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Added weights and costs

Nice job one the first three but the last isn't. Google the initials and you will see what I'm talking about.

Boolit Master
    He started out so well but ended up in the ditch. At lest it only cost him $1.49.

I've been finding a few pewter items that are stamped genuine pewter on them ,but I did find a Bicentennial Collective plate the shop says it's Pewter it does have a York stamp on it on the back. But not stamped pewter. Is it ?

Boolit Grand Master

Just about everything made in York is aluminum based and worthless to boolit casters.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Thats what i thought,thanks

That "Our Daily Bread" pan is quite common in thrift stores I have found. Avoid the "RWP" stuff, not pewter like others have stated. Items that have a pitted metal look like that arent pewter. You will probably find some tankards/mugs that have a "pitted" metal look to them also. Also remember the tankards/mugs with the handle riveted on arent pewter, and I have noticed the non-pewter ones say "Hong Kong" on the bottom. Even the tankards that are pewter will have a fair amount of weight in the glass & caulking, and on some the ring where the stamping is can also be non-pewter (probably aluminum).

Boolit Grand Master

In my pricing estimates I always figure the glass, caulk and ring at ~3 ounces.

Page 28 of 85 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233343536373878 ... LastLast