MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 12 of 85 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262 ... LastLast

Thread: Pewter pictures and hallmarks...

Boolit Grand Master

Looks like a device to pour from a bottle (typically wine). Is it big enough for a wine bottle? Anyone's guess if it's genuine pewter, but the break off of the handle is typical of the real stuff. Melt it separately, or break off a small bit and see if it will melt on top of what you know for sure is pewter.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Looks like a device to pour from a bottle (typically wine). Is it big enough for a wine bottle? Anyone's guess if it's genuine pewter, but the break off of the handle is typical of the real stuff. Melt it separately, or break off a small bit and see if it will melt on top of what you know for sure is pewter.
    The size is right for a wine bottle so I think you've got it. I will try the melting test when I get far. It was half price day too, so 19.8 oz. for $1.50+tax.

How rude of me...I forgot to say "Thank you for your help." I apologize about that.

Thanks.
    Dave
    Last edited by NewbieDave007; 09-12-2013 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Forgot to say thanks.

Thank you for the post. I have been burned when trying to find real pewter. I have only found real ZINC.

Wooo Hooo!!!

These two items are my first (and second) for sure Pewter that I have found.

This item is 4.8oz. ($1+tax, because of half price day)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-09-11 16.16.09.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	81621Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-09-11 16.16.34.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	81622

This one is 7.8, but I know that some weight will be non-pewter in the middle. ($1+tax, because of half price day)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-09-11 16.16.54.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	81623Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-09-11 16.17.12.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	81624

Boolit Grand Master

The Asian stuff is always nice to find due to the slightly higher tin content. Thanks for the additions!

Boolit Grand Master

Found some more Jefferson cups. The large Stieff cup in the rear is 3 inches tall and 3.5 inches in diameter, 6.1 ounces. The Crownson made cup on the forward left is 2.75 inches tall and 3.25 inches in diameter, 4.3 ounces. Finally, the small Stieff P50 cup on the forward right is just slightly smaller than the Crownson and will fit tightly inside it. It is made of thicker metal though and at 5.2 ounces is more than 20% heavier.

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-12-2015 at 08:41 AM.

Does it have to be marked to be pewter

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1bilmr59 View Post
    Does it have to be marked to be pewter
    No, but when buying non marked items, knowing what genuine pewter looks and feels like is important so as not to buy junk. Hallmarked stuff gives you the assurance that what you're buying is what you expect it to be.

Boolit Man
    I found a couple things at the local Goodwill. One was a silver plated duck bank that was marked Leonard on the bottom. The other was a plate that had Rogers 870 on the bottom, another said Continental and the last just had a beehive looking mark that I couldnt read. I need some help to know if they are Pewter or not. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Basket.jpg   Duck.jpg   Mark.jpg   Plate.jpg   Tray.jpg  

"I will ask permission of no man, for that which has been granted to me by God and the Constitution."

Boolit Grand Master

Hard to tell for sure from the pictures, but the oval tray looks like aluminum, the round tray silver plated steel, the duck silver plated pot metal. The candle holder might be, but there is something about the interior bottom that tells me it is probably cast pot metal too.

Boolit Man
    Thanks, I will keep searching.
    "I will ask permission of no man, for that which has been granted to me by God and the Constitution."

Boolit Grand Master

A 9.5 inch plate at 13.5 ounces. This also solves the overstamping mystery in post 162...

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-12-2015 at 08:42 AM.

Boolit Master

With all the questions regarding what is and what is not pewter - and these excellent hallmark examples, I'm thinking this thread ought to become a sticky. Very useful. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    The "prettier" of todays find. Found 5lbs today and will hit another goodwill this evening as we head out for meeting in a bit.

Boolit Bub
    I wish I would have seen this thread earlier. Just bought 4 Wilton plates. Oh well. Might try and resell them, But I won't label them as pewter as the seller did.

I bought 13 pounds of "pewter" from my scrap yard for $3.00. Heck, they even gave me a 5 gallon pail to pile it in. Most of the stuff I hand picked was stamped pewter. Almost all of it was scuffed in a spot and folded like they some how tested it. Unbending the stuff seemed real easy. A lot of it looked pretty old.

I don't have much money into this stuff and was wondering if I melted the more obvious pewter first and added the other stuff after known stuff melted. My question is this, am I correct in assuming that non pewter items will require a much higher melting point? Is there any such thing as silver plated pewter? Thanks all!

I have found silver plate.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Miata Mike View Post
    I bought 13 pounds of "pewter" from my scrap yard for $3.00. Heck, they even gave me a 5 gallon pail to pile it in. Most of the stuff I hand picked was stamped pewter. Almost all of it was scuffed in a spot and folded like they some how tested it. Unbending the stuff seemed real easy. A lot of it looked pretty old.

I don't have much money into this stuff and was wondering if I melted the more obvious pewter first and added the other stuff after known stuff melted. My question is this, am I correct in assuming that non pewter items will require a much higher melting point? Is there any such thing as silver plated pewter? Thanks all!
    Placing small amounts of unknown metal on top of molten known alloy held just above liquidus is pretty safe. Most contaminant type metals melt at much higher temperatures than genuine pewter. As Sasquatch-1 says, they do silver plate pewter, but most silver plate is not pewter. The stuff that isn't is clearly harder metal, won't bend like pewter and won't melt at anything near the same temperatures.

Boolit Grand Master

A few finds with new hallmarks. This stuff is all pretty beat up, which is fine for our use... it melts just like the pretty ones.

A 7.25 inch coffee pot, 1 pound 5 ounces. Terrible picture of this neat hallmark from Norway. I tried a dozen times before I settled on this blurry example.

A 12 inch pitcher at 1 pound 7.5 ounces.

A 10 inch bowl, 1 pound 6.8 ounces.
    Last edited by imashooter2; 10-12-2015 at 08:44 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

A 6.5 inch candy dish with a cut edge and a 2.5 inch creamer, 4.9 and 4.7 ounces respectively.

And last, a 5 inch porringer, 9.7 ounces.
    Last edited by imashooter2; 10-12-2015 at 08:46 AM.

Page 12 of 85 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262 ... LastLast