Inline FabricationWidenersPBcastcoLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 69 of 85 FirstFirst ... 19596061626364656667686970717273747576777879 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 1682

Thread: Pewter pictures and hallmarks...

Boolit Master
    The mugs on the middle left shelf look like Wilton which IS NOT pewter. Ask the seller if it's stamped Wilton, RWP, Pewterex or ????

I'm counting 29 items? If that's the case the average weight of each would have to be around half a pound that would bring you in at $5/lb or $2.59/item. Which is about what I've been paying for thrift store items. I think it's a fair deal. Not a steal but if other sources are scarce might be worth it.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    It'd help to get a sense of scale. How big are those plates behind the pewter? If, for instance, they are twelve inches across, only the two pitchers on the top row are more than six inches tall, and all the cups, mugs, the serving ware and candle sticks would be on the small side. I've had big solid bottomed mugs that topped three quarters of a pound, but a small mug could be much less, especially with a glass bottom.
    Last edited by kevin c; 06-17-2018 at 03:36 AM.

I appreciate the input from everyone. I am waiting for a response from the seller about which ones have a pewter hallmark. She did say the plates were Armalite not pewter. She offered to sell the pewter separately.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    7lbs 9 oz today for $15.54

After reading about picture frames I'm not going to toss the photo frame in my melt. It's the only thing not marked pewter and I got it for half of what it's marked. Explains why my 16:1 mix had a BH of 7.5. The salt and pepper shakers along with the 2lb stein I paid $4.90 for are keepers

What I have left from photo frames I'll use to add to coww for better mold fill out.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-06-2018 at 12:13 AM.

Banned
    Nice haul Tripplebeards never been that lucky finding pewter up north

We all need to remember, Some of the pewter we buy could be worth a LOT of money. It wouldn't hurt to check and see what a piece is really worth before we melt it.

Four stops in my home town and $3 later. I passed up a 6" plate marked $3.99. It was a little high in my book after my big score.

Boolit Grand Master

That's a fair couple of days scrounging! Is the ash tray weighted or hollow on the bottom?
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    That's a fair couple of days scrounging! Is the ash tray weighted or hollow on the bottom?
    It's weighted. Filled with a yellow looking glue like substance. Never saw a pewter ashtray before. Glad I don't smoke. Lol

I saw my 2lb mug for sale on eBay for $78 plus shipping. I threw it on Craig's list for $75. Ill see what happens. Figured I could put it towards a 35 whelen die set or a mold...or a lot more pewter!

Boolit Bub
    My first Pewter score and a few Hallmarks.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180719_152735.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	223927Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180719_152724.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	223928Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180719_134647.jpg 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	223929Click image for larger version. 

Name:	score.jpg 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	223930

Boolit Master
    That's the first piece of Selangor pewter I've ever seen whose touchmark looks like Wilton, but every piece of Selangor I've seen was 97%+ tin. I'd have bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    7lbs 9 oz today for $15.54

After reading about picture frames I'm not going to toss the photo frame in my melt. It's the only thing not marked pewter and I got it for half of what it's marked. Explains why my 16:1 mix had a BH of 7.5. The salt and pepper shakers along with the 2lb stein I paid $4.90 for are keepers

What I have left from photo frames I'll use to add to coww for better mold fill out.

Time to go scrounging again! I just sold my $4.90 on eBay for $80! That's a lot of future pewter funding. Glad I didn't melt it.

I must resist the urge.... I have enough, I have enough..... Spending any more is a waste, I have enough to last me the years I have left. I should leave it for the other caster's out there. But I have to admit, the chase and rush from scoring pewter can be habit forming LoL. Almost as much fun as chasing tail back in the day, (OK, no where as much fun but you get my drift). The score was the payoff but the chase was more fun.
    Be careful what you wish for!

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    It's weighted. Filled with a yellow looking glue like substance. Never saw a pewter ashtray before. Glad I don't smoke. Lol
    I have a small "made in occupied japan" pewter ashtray, I read they were bring home novelties.
    Be careful what you wish for!

I found a Sheffield silver sugar bowl. Very heavy, now it didn't say "pewter" but the lid was clearly soft as pewter and smooth even gray patina of pewter. The bowl is very ornate and not showing copper with a slightly different patina. The weight is heavy, 2# for a sugar bowl about the size of a softball.

Only other marking is S-8502 nothing says pewter or silver plate or EPBM so I figured what the heck $3 makes it worth a try.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I have enough, now I can be picky. Of course now I've got a taste for pewter so I'll buy some pieces just to keep.

Quote Originally Posted by etherwalker View Post
    I have enough, now I can be picky. Of course now I've got a taste for pewter so I'll buy some pieces just to keep.
    Yeah I hear you. I hate to see it going to waste collecting dust so I rescue it for an exciting life as bullet alloy.

The weight and the top made it worth picking up, price would be about $1.50 a pound if it is pewter core. It is a neat piece. Very ornate and the silver is not all splotchy the way old cheaper silver plate gets. It is possible the S-8502 is really 850 or 85% silver a notch down from sterling according to this article. https://www.kristinworks.com/about/sterling-silver/

If this is so that would be 1.7 lbs. of silver in a 2 lb. bowl. Wonder how hard that would be to melt down and take into a precious metal buyer. Would be about 27 oz. at what around $10 per oz. ?
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Silver has a spot price per ounce today of $15.38. It might net you more to try to sell it as is to a dealer or on ebay rather than melt it first. A metals dealer won't give you much, if any at all if you melt it because it would need assaying for him to resell it.

Picked this 1lb 14oz pot up today for $4.99. Passed on a candle stick holder that I was guessing a half pound for the same price

Page 69 of 85 FirstFirst ... 19596061626364656667686970717273747576777879 ... LastLast