WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 48 of 85 FirstFirst ... 383940414243444546474849505152535455565758 ... LastLast

Thread: Pewter pictures and hallmarks...

Hey pewter pros, what's the picture frames made of?

Boolit Grand Master

Just about anything... Do you have a particular frame in mind?
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Pewter pictures and hallmarks...

I'm just getting started gathering equipment and materials for casting. Some of the fine members here told me to start hunting out pewter, so on my way to work I stopped in at goodwill. I found this jefferson cup, bowl, and the dreaded Wilton plates. Now that I've gone through this whole thread, I feel more confident in my hunting! Here's my modest score for $3.50:

Here's the hallmark from the bowl that I haven't seen in the thread. This one is etched instead of stamped:
    Last edited by 358 Yeti; 09-08-2015 at 02:07 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

A fine score! Thanks for the addition.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Well, I redeemed myself today! After the Wilton let down, and armed with the knowledge I gathered from this thread, I returned the plates for store credit and began browsing. I found a pitcher and gave it the deform test. I was certain that it was pewter, but the price tag was covering the hallmark. I bought it and peeled back the sticker to find a nice "Continental Pewter" stamp. The weight on the pitcher was 21oz. I also found a tray that weighed 31.25oz stamped "Old Colony Pewter". Pleased with these finds, I decided to go to another thrift store in town and found a tankard that weighed 8.25oz after I removed the glass. There was no hallmark on the mug anywhere, but I'm certain its pewter. It cried like tin, deforms easily with no spring back, and just felt right.

So since yesterday I'm at just over 5# of pewter averaging $3.20/lb! I'll call it beginners luck!

Here's todays grab:

Boolit Master
    Good grab. Your off to a great start.

No particular picture frames, just asking, I picked a few up that I knew would melt... not realizing, at the time, they could be pure lead or any mix in between pure tin.

Boolit Grand Master

Or some sort of pot metal that has neither lead nor tin content. You just can't tell with items like that with no requirements other than to look pretty.

On my way to pick up my new suppressor I decided to stop at a thrift store in the area. I ended up picking up a few smaller pieces that totaled 24oz. All of these were hall marked pewter (no new hallmarks to show)

I also found this candle holder. The only mark on it was "Italy" on the rim. It's very malleable, but almost seems like it may be lead. What say the experts?

Well actually, I'm referring to picture frames that I know will melt. When I started hunting this stuff I grabbed a few of these frames, and can get more but not sure of the tin content

Boolit Grand Master

The candlestick is most likely pewter. Even if made of the lowest grades of leaded pewter it is over 80% tin.

Boolit Master
    Maybe this will help:

The constituents of pewter were first controlled in the 12th century by town guilds in France. By the 15th century, the Worshipful Company of Pewterers controlled pewter constituents in England. This company originally had two grades of pewter, but in the 16th century a third grade was added. The first type, known as "fine metal", was used for tableware. It consisted of tin with as much copper as it could absorb, which is about 1%. The second type, known as "trifling metal" or "trifle", was used for holloware and is made up of fine metal with approximately 4% lead. The last type of pewter, known as "lay" or "ley" metal, was used for items that were not in contact with food or drink. It consisted of tin with 15% lead. These three alloys were used, with little variation, until the 20th century.[3]
    Older pewters with higher lead content are heavier, tarnish faster, and oxidation gives them a darker silver-gray color.[citation needed] Pewters containing lead are no longer used in items (such as cups, plates, or jewelry) that will come in contact with the human body due to health concerns stemming from the lead content. Modern pewters are available that are completely free of lead, although many pewters containing lead are still being produced for other purposes.[citation needed]
    A typical European casting alloy contains 94% tin, 1% copper, and 5% antimony. A European pewter sheet would contain 92% tin, 2% copper, and 6% antimony. Asian pewter, produced mostly in Malaysia, Singapore, and Thailand, contains a higher percentage of tin, usually 97.5% tin, 1% copper, and 1.5% antimony. This makes the alloy slightly softer.[3]

Most of the Italian pieces I find are "aged" with a little nitric acid. The softer stuff most likely has less copper and antimony in the alloy. I use a modern American version of your candlestick when the lights go out. Mine has a brass insert that deflects some of the heat when the candle gets short.

Very interesting! Thank you! I'd be willing to bet that the candle holder is 15% lead based on what I read

Picked up some good finds at yard sales today. All for $20.00 out the door. Or in this case, off the lawn.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pewter-2015-09-01.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	149810

Item
    Weight (oz)
    Goblet 7.50
    Candle Sticks (2) 25.50
    Bowls (4) 29.25
    Small Plates (2) 30.50
    Large Plates (3) 54.50
    Charger 18.00
    Total

And now for the hallmarks:

Candlesticks

Name:	Pewter-2015-09-02.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	149811

Goblet

Name:	Pewter-2015-09-03.jpg 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	149812

Bowls

Name:	Pewter-2015-09-04.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	149813

The plates had multiple and partial stamps

Name:	Pewter-2015-09-05.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	149814Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pewter-2015-09-07.jpg 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	149816Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pewter-2015-09-08.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	149817

Name:	Pewter-2015-09-09.jpg 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	149818Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pewter-2015-09-10.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	149819Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pewter-2015-09-11.jpg 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	149820
    Cats are fun and magical when you can't smell their poop! Fresh Step!

JPFO; NCOWS; NRA (Life); NYSRPA (Life); SAF, SASS

I'm looking for a shooter grade Smith & Wesson Victory model in .38 Special.

Boolit Grand Master

After you peel those candlesticks to take out the glue weighting material, you'll be closer to 6 ounces on the pair. Still, close to $2 a pound is not bad at all. Thanks for the additions!

Oh, I know the candlesticks will only weigh out at half (at best) after the weight is removed. But like you said, $2/lb for pewter is pretty good. Especially since (on the commodities market) Tin is selling at something like $7/lb lately.

Always keeping my eyes open.

David

Name:	003.jpg 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	149835

Today's score! I was debating whether to go to a car boot sale or not. I'm glad I did. A total of approximately ten pounds of pewter.

Simon.

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	149838

It continues......

I went to another local car boot this afternoon and acquired another 7 pounds of pewter.

I am going to make ingots while the sun shines!

Simon.

Name:	007.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	149846

And finally.........

All melted down. I used my Lyman dipper with the spout blocked to dollop a "consistent" quantity into my ingot moulds. I will weigh each one and write on it. A productive day all round.

Simon.

My candlesticks listed above (sans weights) came out at just over 12.5 oz. Or, about half the weight.

Still a respectable haul. Now to make some ingots!

David