MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 85 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast

Thread: Pewter pictures and hallmarks...

Boolit Master

I am a little lost here what exactly do we plan to use the Pewter for? and why?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Reload3006 View Post
    I am a little lost here what exactly do we plan to use the Pewter for? and why?
    Modern pewter is 85% or better tin and can be bought at yard sales and thrift stores at very attractive prices as compared to most other sources.

here's a picture of a pitcher and hallmark , this was a pretty good score - about 24 oz. for $.75 plus tax note that it's pretty beat up ( in addition to the umm hammered finish :P )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails marionpitcher.jpg   marionpitcher2.jpg  
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Grand Master

75 cents American?

You was robbed!

Reload3006, that is a perfect example of the "attractive prices" I was referring to...

ummm you must mean the 6 or 9 cents i was forced to pay as tax :P it is fixable ( other than just smelting ...even love the duckbill look of it ) it is solid all things considered and would make a great milk pitcher ( bet that was it's original use too )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]

Boolit Grand Master

Just tugging your chain. That was a way better than average price. As for fixing it... Not around here. That's boolit sweetener if I ever saw it.

yeah i know lolz but it did push my 2 dollar investment goblets further back from the edge of my "smelt soon" pile ( sadly however the hallmark didnt want to come out very good [dratz] )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails englishgoblets.jpg   goblets2.jpg  
    Je suis Charlie

Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

A nine inch vase, a little over a pound.

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-11-2015 at 10:54 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd be checking the value of some of those old pewter pieces before I just melted them down for some scrap pewter.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFM View Post
    I'd be checking the value of some of those old pewter pieces before I just melted them down for some scrap pewter.
    Get that all the time. Go check out eBay and see what actually sells for more than the price of scrap tin. You can "value" that dented vase at $500, but if you can't sell it, it isn't worth squat.

Boolit Grand Master

If ya want to sell it at a good price on ebay, just call it a VINTAGE piece. That will really increase it's value.

Boolit Grand Master

An 11.5 inch platter, 1 pound 6 ounces:

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-11-2015 at 10:55 PM.

Boolit Master

It's a shame what all of you are melting down!! I'd almost say it was a disgrace!! However, what I melted down the other day would probably make a lot of collectors cry their eyes out or drop to their knees. Hee, Hee. Make more good boolits!!
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    I found an unmarked plate that looks like pewter at the thrift store today. It does have a hallmark of an angel, but it is otherwise unlabeled. Any ideas?
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Boolit Bub
    This thread is a great idea, I was browsing a second hand store this week and was looking for some pewter and I wasn't sure what to look for. Now I do!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bumpo628 View Post
    I found an unmarked plate that looks like pewter at the thrift store today. It does have a hallmark of an angel, but it is otherwise unlabeled. Any ideas?

The angel hallmark is usually German / Swiss / Austrian pewter. I've seen the angel stamped in logo form, line art and even a "dot matrix" style. Does it say "Zinn" on it anywhere? Zinn is German for tin. Here are a few examples:

Boolit Master
    I found pewter at all of the local thrift stores, they think it's gold, like 12 bucks for a wine goblet, 14 bucks for a 7 inch platter, they can keep it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Flinchbaugh View Post
    I found pewter at all of the local thrift stores, they think it's gold, like 12 bucks for a wine goblet, 14 bucks for a 7 inch platter, they can keep it.
    I've seen some like that. With the pewter I have gotten, about 5 lbs so far, if it is good, around 90-92% tin, I've been paying about $4.00/lb for tin. With tin selling for around $17.00/lb retail, that's not bad. A lot of people look at the artistical value of it, not poundage as we do. It just depends what you want. There is a lot of good pewter out of a village/town in Holland named Tiel. I'm looking at a coffee/tea set at an antique shop for $50.00. It says Zuiver Tin, which can be translated as pure or near pure. If I can get it down to $35 or $40, I'll probably go for it. 5-7 lbs.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master

My personal limit is $5 a pound, but if you average out the 30+ pounds I have in the basement, it would come out at less than $3 a pound. The secret is in knowing what things weigh and walking away when the price isn't right.

Low cost lead stashes are built over years of scrounging. Pewter is the same way.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    The angel hallmark is usually German / Swiss / Austrian pewter. I've seen the angel stamped in logo form, line art and even a "dot matrix" style. Does it say "Zinn" on it anywhere? Zinn is German for tin. Here are a few examples:

Thanks for posting those images. The one I saw had an angel that was looking to the right so that the wings were on the left, not symmetrical. Most of those angels don't say pewter, tin or zinn, so chances are this one is pewter too. I don't think it said "zinn", but I'll have to go back and take another look. The price is right, so I think it's worth a try. I'll just smelt it separately and see what it looks like.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Page 2 of 85 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast