RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 71 of 85 FirstFirst ... 21616263646566676869707172737475767778798081 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 1682

Thread: Pewter pictures and hallmarks...

Boolit Master
    Usually they will say PEWTER not PEWTERWARE. I got a closeup of the hanger and it doesn't look like anything I've ever found that's pewter on this site:

https://www.ebth.com/items/7248421-w...wter-tableware

Expand the pic and go to 7/23. That hanger is cast with the plate and from the angle of the picture you can see the drilled hole looks like aluminum.

I've seen a bunch of pewter but I ain't seen it all. That one on the lower right has a hanger on it that's held in place with a screw. That's usually a good indicator that it's something other then what we use.

Boolit Bub
    That figures, I could get a bunch of those local dirt cheap. Thanks for the help.
    I did pickup a 1.2# bowl today at the thrift shop. $2 Said pewter and was easy to bend. Melted it down with a soldering torch fast.

Quote Originally Posted by DestructionDan View Post
    Are these real pewter? Only thing on the one I have is Americana Art China Co. Sebring OH and 2157
    Got some miniature molds and have been on the hunt for pewter.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Bi...MAAOSw37BaW6cd
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    Unless it says "pewter" I don't mess with it. Found out the hard way after buying things looking like pewter!
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Usually they will say PEWTER not PEWTERWARE. I got a closeup of the hanger and it doesn't look like anything I've ever found that's pewter on this site:

https://www.ebth.com/items/7248421-w...wter-tableware

Expand the pic and go to 7/23. That hanger is cast with the plate and from the angle of the picture you can see the drilled hole looks like aluminum.

I've seen a bunch of pewter but I ain't seen it all. That one on the lower right has a hanger on it that's held in place with a screw. That's usually a good indicator that it's something other then what we use.
    Dan, Those plates in that ebay listing sure looks like fake pewter, Wilton is a company that made a lot of fake pewter, see how similar these Wilton pieces look like the Williamsport.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-RWP...-/113244910074
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ble...P/323445626967
    It's an aluminum alloy, not pewter, something called pewterware is a red flag. Makers of real pewter proudly stamp it pewter, why wouldn't they? It only adds value and assures the buyer it's real pewter, why wouldn't Williamsport Foundrey stamp it pewter if it was indeed pewter? And I agree, they wouldn't have cast hangers like that. Unless it's stamped pewter I'd pass, I got burned a few times myself starting out.

Spend an hour browsing this thread from the start, look at all the pics posted and you'll get a better idea what to look for. Keep hitting those thrift stores, I know it gets discouraging because others hit them also looking for pewter but eventually you'll beat them to the punch and find some. First place I look when I go is the beer mug sections, look for the glass bottom pewter beer mugs, around here they show up more often then other pewter pieces, know the glass is thick and heavy so I won't pay more then $4 for a mug and I won't pay more then $6-7 a pound for pewter pieces because once I factor in my time and gas money spent running around looking for it, I can buy pewter ingots from other members here for not much more, remember time and gas spent chasing it. Be careful buying pewter candlestick holders, they are hollow and filled with weighted brown **** that stinks like camel dung, look at the pictures in the 2nd post on the first page of this thread, the OP shows how those are filled and how little pewter you can up with, I usually will pass on all of those unless they are only a buck or two.

Good luck, keep hunting, it's out there!
    Be careful what you wish for!

Boolit Master

That figures, I could get a bunch of those local dirt cheap. Thanks for the help.
    I did pickup a 1.2# bowl today at the thrift shop. $2 Said pewter and was easy to bend. Melted it down with a soldering torch fast.
    You got real pewter dude!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

You posted while I was digging for links to reply to you. Well good deal, you scored and you did great on the price! Just have to keep hitting the thrift stores and don't get discouraged, other caster's are out there looking to. I'll warn you, hunting for pewter can get addicting, after a year I ended up with more then I'll likely ever use. I went through withdrawals but I kept telling myself, "You don't need anymore, stop and leave it for the other guys."
    Be careful what you wish for!

Boolit Master
    There's no substitute for hands on experience. Since you've had your hands on it you'll identify it easier each time you do see it. I'll buy a large bunch at one time. I use melt temp as my final determination. It's slow but a 450-500degF pot of pewter alloy is much better than a propane or mapp torch (both over 3600degF).

Boolit Bub
    I read about 20 pages so far. I think i'm lucky where I live, I don't think there are any or many other pewter hunters.
    A few of the shops are looking for pewter for me. One of them wants me to cast some miniatures for them.
    I need the pewter for range scrap, and miniatures. So i'm going to be on the hunt for a little bit. Got to build up the stash.
    Again thanks for the help on the not real pewter plate.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    Unless it says "pewter" I don't mess with it. Found out the hard way after buying things looking like pewter!
    You and I both!

Boolit Bub
    Hey TheGrimReaper, off topic but I cast you the other day.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wizgrim.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	227318

In Remembrance
    I will admit to having read only 25 pages, so don't know if this has been asked before. Do you think this piece is pewter? It is Hallmarked (ITZ) but not marked as pewter. It does bend easily. Made in Holland
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

In Remembrance
    A friend gave me this decanter(?) a few years ago. The only place that is marked is the bottom of the stopper

NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

You have it backwards...(your dyslexia is showing ) It stands for Zeister Tin Industrie...its the real deal. ZTI.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I just saw a touchmark I haven't seen before. Thanks.

In Remembrance
    No dyslexia, just not knowing how to read the Hallmark stamp. The "T" is in the center of the stamp and I read from left to right. I'll add it to the "real" pewter stash.
    Last edited by mazo kid; 09-18-2018 at 09:00 PM.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

What do you gentleman think about this? 5 plates for 15.00$ could it be antimony? Marked SB. I doubt it wishful thinking mostly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk357 View Post
    What do you gentleman think about this? 5 plates for 15.00$ could it be antimony? Marked SB. I doubt it wishful thinking mostly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Post 1398 had that same plate. Top of this page has my thoughts. If you do decide to go ahead and buy them, please let us know what you find.

Looks like its from Williamsport Pewterer to me...its likely pewterete...but I'm not sure of its contents. I wouldn't add it to a known Pewter melt for sure....just in case. It looks cast to me...the only pewter that I buy doesn't have casting marks on it. I just don't take the chance on contamination when I'm melting 20-40 lbs at a time.

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

2 pound mug. Says, "Peltro".
    Can't upload pics for some reason.
    Last edited by The Governor; 09-21-2018 at 04:33 PM.

Boolit Master
    Italian for pewter. Is it bendable or mark easily?

Got 2 mugs for $8. One is the 2 pound L. Acerbi marked Peltro. Doesn't bend easily but is easy to scratch.

The other is nice and shiny, beat up and dented , like an old stainless vase.
    Under is an eagle and it says International Pewter.

Page 71 of 85 FirstFirst ... 21616263646566676869707172737475767778798081 ... LastLast