WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 75 of 85 FirstFirst ... 256566676869707172737475767778798081828384 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,500 of 1682

Thread: Pewter pictures and hallmarks...

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I emailed the company and they responded telling me that the tin content is over 90% in this frame.

So...not ALL frames marked pewter have a high lead content as some posters have said.

Boolit Master
    Abraham Lincoln said you could believe anything you read on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Abraham Lincoln said you could believe anything you read on the internet.
    Lol, yes, do the research yourself....I read old posts at the beginning of the thread giving me the false information.lol

Might try and sell my $1.25 frame as I see they are going for $30/$50 shipped in some sights. It will buy me a lot more pewter or pay for other projects.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-11-2019 at 09:02 AM.

Banned
    ZINN = TIN in German

Gramps, I wouldn’t melt that. I bought a similar mug for $4 and sold it on eBay a week later for $89

Banned
    I paid $2.50 for it (50% off and Wednesday) I put it in my pewter display cabinet. I have several mugs/tankards and plates Their fate is yet to be determined. I have lots of Pewter just can't break the habit of buying it (Only if it's less than $4 a pound)

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    I paid $2.50 for it (50% off and Wednesday) I put it in my pewter display cabinet. I have several mugs/tankards and plates Their fate is yet to be determined. I have lots of Pewter just can't break the habit of buying it (Only if it's less than $4 a pound)
    Yep, I have pewter cabinet as well. I melt the modern stuff first. I have more pewter now than I’ll probably ever use but can’t help myself either!

Had a $5 credit at goodwill so I ended up paying a buck for two goblets that weight 1.1lbs.

Says real pewter 94%...if life was always that easy!

I might have to keep these for boozin if I take up the sport again!

Boolit Master
    OK, I know all about the "no pcs=it didn't happen" But I'm to darn tired & lazy to provide them.

We have a Habitat for Humanity "ReStore" here in town.

First pewter I found there was a fairly big, stoppered jug, I guessed at least a pound, for $2.50. Turned out to be 1#13oz.

So I bought a fish scale, rigged a rubber covered clamp on the hook so I could weigh without marring the piece. Took it with me today when I was planning to stop at the ReStore. Turned out I was able to justify having it.

Pewter bowl, 9" diameter, maybe 6" deep, "International Pewter", carrying a $5 price tag. Hung it on the scale, 1#8oz. I offered $4, they politely declined so I threw down a fiver.

So far that's something like $3.37/lb for my purchases there. Every little bit helps!
    Literacy should not be considered optional in computer based communication.

Boolit Master
    You guys are a bad influence. I picked up right at 3lbs of used pewter for just over $6.00/lb. Not a steal but not bad either.

When you think about it - it's true that it's a better "investment" than aluminum or especially ceramic/glass ware. That stuff is worth nothing when you get rid of it. You can barely even give away a bent used aluminum or stainless steel pan much less get anywhere close to $5.00/lb for it. That stuff goes straight into the trash.

Boolit Buddy
    Picked up roughly 11 pounds for $22 today.

Cups - Mullholland

Pitcher - Mullholland

Everything in the set on the platter to the right - Kirk Stieff

Tray - Old Colonial

Flower vase - Norway TINN

I don't think I did so in previous posts, but I've decided to make it a habbit of typing out the maker's mark so folks can search the forum. It was helpful to me when I first started hunting.

The mug doesn't have a mark. But, I'm certain it's pewter. It's built exactly like the marked ones I have and it looks and bends like pewter.

Boolit Master
    Went out yard/garage sale browsing today. Not a great haul but 3# 4oz. of hallmarked pewter for $11 and a 14 oz roll of flux cored, electronic/electrical solder for a whole 25 cents. The pewter will get hammered and added to the stash, the solder will get added to other mystery solder until I get enough to make a decent sized batch. At which time I will melt it all together and send a sample off to BNE to see just what it really has in it, then I will add it to a batch of alloy.

I got pics today but am having issues with getting them off my phone and into the computer so I can post them.

Boolit Master
    Alan, if that solder is nearly all tin, your score netted you about four pounds of that most useful alloy additive for under three dollars a pound. That's pretty good.

There do certainly seem to be regional differences in the availability and cost of pewter, but anything under the going rate in S&S seems worthwhile for those in need.

The photos of the items and of the touch marks in this monster thread are both good for IDing genuine pewter. The hundreds of images help describe what forms are typical for pewter ware. Seeing examples of the touch marks helps when an item under consideration only has a partial mark visible without those critical letters P-E-W-T-E-R.
    Last edited by kevin c; 07-28-2019 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Grammar edit

Boolit Buddy
    Forgot these in the car...(for post earlier today)

maker's mark - Dreisner

edit: shrank pics

Boolit Master

Finally Got Pics Figured Out!!!!!!!

What I could not manage to muddle through yesterday evening was clear as anything in the early morning light. I was able to get pics of the small haul from yesterday into the computer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stash5.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	245912

The tray with the shiny sugar bowl & creamer are all Royal Holland Pewter, 97%.

The grungy bowl, in the center of the tray, is just marked "Real Pewter"

The two pitchers behind the tray are both "Royal Holland Pewter, Made in Holland" in a circle with "K. M. D." and "Tiel" in the center of the circle, KMD above and Tiel below. To faint for me to try taking a pic of the marks. Both pitchers are the same design, just one smaller than the other.

Here's the bowl I mentioned in Post 1489 from a few days ago. Marked "International Pewter".

Name:	stash 3.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	245913
    Last edited by Alan in Vermont; 07-28-2019 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Alan, if that solder is nearly all tin, your score netted you about four pounds of that most useful alloy additive for under three dollars a pound. That's pretty good.

There do certainly seem to be regional differences in the availability and cost of pewter, but anything under the going rate in S&S seems worthwhile for those in need.

The photos of the items and of the touch marks in this monster thread are both good for IDing genuine pewter. The hundreds of images help describe what forms are typical for pewter ware. Seeing examples of the touch marks helps when an item under consideration only has a partial mark visible without those critical letters P-E-W-T-E-R.
    There is no substitute for putting your hands on the real deal and "playing" with it a bit. I can stand at the front of a booth at the flea market and spot it. Of course, you still ought to look at the other stuff too and the boxes underneath. 10K primers for $5/K. 2 Lortone tumblers. And .....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan in Vermont View Post
    What I could not manage to muddle through yesterday evening was clear as anything in the early morning light. I was able to get pics of the small haul from yesterday into the computer.

Name:	stash5.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	245912

The tray with the shiny sugar bowl & creamer are all Royal Holland Pewter, 97%.

The grungy bowl, in the center of the tray, is just marked "Real Pewter"

The two pitchers behind the tray are both "Royal Holland Pewter, Made in Holland" in a circle with "K. M. D." and "Tiel" in the center of the circle, KMD above and Tiel below. To faint for me to try taking a pic of the marks. Both pitchers are the same design, just one smaller than the other.

Here's the bowl I mentioned in Post 1489 from a few days ago. Marked "International Pewter".

Name:	stash 3.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	245913
    I think I've seen those pitchers going for around $50. Might want to investigate a little before melting.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sureYnot View Post
    I think I've seen those pitchers going for around $50. Might want to investigate a little before melting.
    So, I did a little ebay browsing and I found a few of that very same style being offered for high prices. I found a few that had been sold for "best offer" prices that weren't very impressive.

I don't think I see any pitchers in my pictures, only potential puddles.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, while its possible to sell a piece of garage sale or Good Will pewter for multiples of what was paid for it, it's not the most likely scenario by far.

Boolit Master
    WELL!! Went yard saleing again today. I did run across some small cups that looked pewterish but hallmarked "Stede", one of the names on the fake list. Didn't buy much but one lady told me where she drops off the stuff she doesn't sell. Said this other woman had lots of pewter/pewter looking stuff. We were only six miles from there so off we went.

What we found was a very cluttered "junk errr, antique shop", with beaucoup pewter. I found & purchased a couple small pieces. There was lots more but literally piled chest high against a wall and very hard to get individual pieces out without causing an avalanche. More on a second floor but I did no go up as there was only a single footpath up the center of a fairly wide staircase and I'm a little creaky on stairs now.

Struck up a conversation with the owner, a very nice, mid-70s lady who let on that she has to clean the place out in order to sell it. PERK!! I told her I would pay $4/lb for pewter items regardless of physical condition AND I would help her sort it out. Then it was HER turn to perk. Time will tell if it ever happens but if it does, and my disposable income holds out I'm thinking there's enough pewter in there to last out my lifetime. Now I need to do a bunch of range mining to finance this grand scheme.

Too dark in there to see hallmarks without a magnifier There is a bunch of silver plate, Reed & Barton. No idea what the base metal is, nothing I find about R&B indicates what it might be other than they made/make "silverplate". Quite a bit of "Triple Plated" as well, probably brass base metal on that?

All input cheerfully accepted.

Page 75 of 85 FirstFirst ... 256566676869707172737475767778798081828384 ... LastLast