MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bullet lube for 30-30?

Banned

and you can get jaxketed velocities from the 30-30 by following the above advice ,all of it.
    all 20 suggestions are right.....
    i have used b-wax alox and carnuba,
    parrafin,and moly
    grease and b-wax.
    parrafin,b-wax,moly,lithium, carnuba, lanolin, and atf combinations.
    to exceed jaxketed velocities in the 30-30.

alloys from 50-50 through 4%sn/6%sb all work fine also.
    as do powders from bullseye through whatever you got in burn speed.
    you just gotta narrow the window down to your specific needs.

Didn't expect to be called ignorant for offering advice. Gearnasher, I have been pouring lead since 1965 with fair results for four handguns and 6 rifles including a microgroove marlin. Lymans Cast Bullet Handbook agrees with my .309 sizing, and yes, you can always size larger, you are just squeezing it down when shooting. As for alloys and speeds read the book 'From Ingot To Target' by Glen Fryxell. It is available online for free. Just trying to help, sorry for stepping on someones toes.

Larryy, I don't think that Gear was trying to call you ignorant. He was probably just being a little exuberant about the number of casting myths that the combined experiments of people on this board have debunked or overcome in the past several years.

There is a wealth of good information to be found here. That does not mean that information from other sources is any less relevant. Please try out some of the things that people here recommend & compare the results to what you have been doing in the past. I expect that some of the time, you will be pleasantly surprised by the outcomes. At least that has been my experience.

Gear has helped me out in the past when I was fooling around with a few non-standard projects. He's a fairly creative guy that has come up with some good ideas. He, & most other people here on this board, actually tend to be pretty helpful to others most of the time.

I'm sorry if things here got off on the wrong foot for you.

I for one would like to say - welcome aboard sir.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master

To answer your question regarding the Lee Factory Crimp Die, there are actually 2 different types of Lee Factory Crimp dies. Theres the rifle die which uses a collet like crimper to do the crimping, and they work fine on cast boolits. Then there's the pistol die which works totally different, and has a carbide sizer in it to resize the case to factory size. It's the pistol die that can cause problems, as the carbide sizer can actually size the boolit smaller than is needed to prevent leading. I don't think anyone has a problem using the rifle die, and even with the pistol die it's not a 100% rule that they can't be used with cast boolits, some folks use them all the time without problems, others have had nothing but problems when using them. So, the 30-30 Factory Crimp Die being a rifle type die should give you no problems. I have one of the dies in 30-30 and use it for crimping boolits when loading 30-30.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Grand Master

Also let me repeat that you don't need to worry about sizing wate dropped boolits because the hardening that happens takes place over weeks, not immediately. Size one right after dropping it and then another a month after dropping it and you will feel the difference. Any work softening that occurs is minimal, affects only the surface, and is counteracted by the hardening process that then occurs. Size right after casting and worry not.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!