RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 10 gauge slug mold?

Boolit Man

10 gauge slug mold?

I have a browning bps 10 ga as my waterfowl gun and was wondering if anybody had ever made a rifled slug mold for the 10 gauge? ive bought the federal ones and enjoy shooting them and was just wondering if they were avalable to reload?

Boolit Man
    or even a round ball mold?

maybe a 12 guage slug in a 12 guage cup in a 10 guage cup put in a 10 guage shell to make a sabot round might shoot straight check dimentions for tightness

Boolit Grand Master

If it has a choke you don't want to be putting a bore size round ball down it!

Not sure if anyone makes a 10 ga. Foster slug mould.

If you can't find a slug mould you should be able to find suitable ball diameters to load into shotcup. As long as the combination is no more than about 0.003" over the choke diameter it should do fine.

There are a number of ball moulds available that should work either in a shotcup or using a donut wad or inverted gas seal to keep the undersize ball centered.

For 12 ga. I have 0.662", 0.690", 0.715" and 0.735" all Lyman moulds and still available. Not sure if 0.735" would fit through a choke in a 10 ga. shotcup but it should do well on top of a donut wad or inverted gas seal.

Another option ~ Jeff Tanner in the UK will make whatever size ball mould you want:

http://www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk/moulds.htm

If you go the ball route, use at least one 12 ga. nitro card wad under the ball. A scoop of buffer or COW between the card wad and ball is good too.

Longbow

Boolit Man
    thanks for the info, ill have to slug my imp cyl choke and minus my wad thikness x2 from that and that should be the ball size i need right?

Boolit Man
    ok so i measured the imp cyl choke and it is .764 and my wads are .055 thick toward the bottom and .35 thick at the top so .764 -(.055x2 =.110) .654 so that would be around the size of ball im looking for? or couls i use a gas seal with a .764 ball on top of it?? thanks in advance

Boolit Grand Master

I have to say that I am not familiar with 10 ga. wads but 0.055" seems awfully thick. Are these steel shot wads?

With a ball, the equator will be about 1/2 way up the wad petal so probably not the full 0.055" thickness.

A 0.654" ball will be awfully light for 10 ga. as it will be under 1 oz. A 0.662" pure lead ball is 1 oz.

I will have to measure my 12 ga. wad petals but I am pretty sure they run around 0.020" and the LEE and Lyman 12 ga. sabot slugs run about 0.685" diameter to fit standard shot wads for 0.729" bore for smooth 12 ga. Again 0.055" seems very thick.

I worked on a 12 ga. slug design that was to fit into a 12 ga. steel shot wad and it was 0.654" diameter.

If the wad petals are really that thick and you can't get or don't want to use different wads then my suggestion is to get a larger ball diameter of close to the tightest choke dimension (0.764" would be max. diameter) and use inverted gas seal (those with deep rounded profile) or donut wads to center the ball.

Cut wad petals off then put a nitro card wad or two on top of the cushion leg, then the inverted gas seal then ball. You might have to use a thicker card wad to get wad column height right.

A 0.764" ball is a little less than 1 1/2 oz (in wheelweights) so not a bad weight. If you use a ball weight same as shot weight you can use shot load recipes for the ball safely ~ as long as it fits through the choke! You might have a little trouble finding slug loads for 10 ga. so it makes it easier to use the same weight slug as common shot loads.

Maybe someone who has loaded up slugs for 10 ga. can provide first hand info. This is as good as I can give.

Longbow

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the info. the wads i measured are balistic products multi metal. and i measured there bpd wads that were a bit thiner, i also have some remington sp10 loads that seem real light duty so ill measure them up and see what they look like... thanks again

Boolit Grand Master
    multi metal are for hevi shot too
    so they are thicker
    I shoot the Federals out of my 10 ga
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Man
    would this mold be worth trying. if not can anyone post a link to a .760 dia round ball and if my imp cyl choke measures .764 would a .760 be to loose for it?

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/catego...Support=1&as=1

Did you ever go forward with this mold? I just picked up an Ithaca 10 ga. roadblocker with cylinder bore (.775) and I am interested in this mold. The bore of my H&R 176 36in. full choke barrel is .740 so for saftey concerns, I might not want to get this mold.

Brooks Mould and Knife can make you a foster style 10ga slug mould but they are kinda pricey.

BB

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Ok, this thread fas got my interest, so here is my question.
    I have an older savage 9478 model 10ga break action single shot 36" full choke (I think).

My SP10 wads are .041 on the pedals, and the wads are .7565 in dia.
    My Lee drive key slug is a 12ga. dia is .678
    I mic'ed the end of the barrel and got .737
    I haven't slugged the choke area of the bbl but I will soon.
    I would like to shoot the 12ga slug in the wad with some 20ga fiber wads for height adjustments.

Any thoughts on this combo?

Boolit Grand Master

You can probably get the slug to fit one way or another, though accuracy may suffer due to the choke, but what about load data? a 1 oz. slug is awfully light for a 10 ga.

Maybe light birdshot loads using a fast powder would work but probably wouldn't be near optimum. Not sure how light in shot weight 10 ga. loads go but a manual would tell you pretty quick.

Longbow