Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Lyman 270 Win molds

Lyman 270 Win molds

Looks like I have found some new old stock lyman molds. One is the 125 gr. 280473 and the 150 gr. 280642. I have a Colt/Sauer coming in this caliber and was wanting to know from any of you that may have these molds, which one works fine for you. I am leaning towards the 125 grain at 1900-2200 FPS for fun range shooting but if the later design 150 is that more accurate, then I'll go with that. Thanks ahead for your comments. I may buy both and sell the one I use less here.

Just to let you know, your not limited to .270 moulds. In my trials of all the Lyman, some Herters, Lee, Hensley & Gibbs and others, the 7mm 285346 ended up as the pick of the litter. The 280412 was the worst. It's clone from Herters did better. your pick of 280642 was in the middle of the pack. Once past 2100fps, all groups open fast. If you don't mind angle of deer 4.5" to 5", you can move up to around 2200fps.

Every gun is different of course, and you'll need to keep trying with what you have on hand. 35gr of 3100 gave me 2025fps and that's the load we stayed with for Bambi.
    N.R.A. Life Member

OK, thanks. My buddy has Lyman 287346. Can I ask what size you were sizing? Did you apply 270 or 7mm gas checks?

.278 was the sizing die is and 7mm I believe is the GC's. The lee 7mm was another good one to try.
    N.R.A. Life Member