Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I bought a Taurus lemon

Boolit Grand Master

I bought a Taurus lemon

A few days back, I bought a Taurus model 94 .22 revolver with a 5 inch barrel and adjustable sights. I got a bad one.

I tried everything I could think of and it just won't shoot. The dealer is going to send it back for me.

What I thought was weird was, that one in the paster was the first shot out of a clean barrel. After that, it went to sling shot mode.

Perma-Banned

Taurus is Mandarin for Lemon. Better luck next time, Jim. Here's how one guy modified his "Hi-Point" on U-tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us7mK...layer_embedded
    I have no dog in this hunt as I have never shot or owned either. I am thinking about a Hi-Point, though, just from the cost factor.,

[FONT=times new roman][SIZE=3]Je suis Charlie

Safeguard our way of life...Defend the Constitution against ALL Enemies, Foreign and Domestic!!!

Boolit Master
    Well, as far as Taurus as a lemon, Welcome to the club!! I have owned three. First was a fixed sight 357. Not bad if you didn't mind hitting 3 feet left of the target at 25 yards. Second was a Taurus tracker in 44 mag. Wore it out to the point that it would not index or lock up twice. Sent it back each time and it came back, well, not to my satisfaction. Third was a taurus raging bull. Shaved lead every time. My knuckles were more bloody than what I was shooting nearly every time. Never again.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master
    I owned one Taurus about umteen years ago and ever time you bumped it on the side it would go off. Took it back to the dealer for refund and never owned another.

Boolit Master

Jim

Is that single action or double action? Mine does way better than that in SA mode. DA is a pipe dream even with model 83 springs (the wrong ones by the way). But that is all I have ever been able to get. I will leave it at that on my story.

I had higher hopes for you.

In Remebrance

Jim, I assume you gave it a thorough cleaning and tried several different brands of ammo? Checked the muzzle crown and throat area? I'm not saying don't send it back, just that back in the day we sold a lot of H+R 22's and most wouldn't do any better than yours without some "finish work". First thing Dad did was get the thing really clean, then check for timing issues and then the muzzle and throat. H+R didn't always cut much of a forcing cone type of thing in the breech end of the barrel, so Dad had a lap type set up he used. Some were terribly rough and cut at a slant. Usually this would result in a much better shooting gun with the right ammo.

Boolit Master
    Hmmm, well then. I suggest everyone go to the "Cast Boolits" section and look at the current thread about the S&W 629-6 5" (title: "S&W says no lead bullets for me"), with the junk barrel (incredibly bad forcing cone/ rifling leade) .....that S&W claims is just fine. S&W doesn't walk on water, either.

As for Taurus, they certainly have produced some rubbish over the years, no doubt. All I can say, though, is that the Taurus model 851 I have now is excellent. Very accurate, flawless function, well- finished, etc. I've put just about 1000 rounds through it, in about 4 months time - with nary a problem.

Boolit Master
    I wonder what Taurus will do. It isn't broken, you have the holes in your target to prove it.

This reminds me of one of the jokes in one of the MANY internet Taurus threads. It goes like this: Taurus has a lifetime warranty. When it breaks you spend a lifetime trying to get them to fix it.
    Rule 303

No matter the maker I always clean the gun spotless. Then grab one box from every available 22 manufacture and see what the gun likes. I've got (3) 22 pistols and they all shoot different factory rounds if I want good groups.
    You didn’t say if that was the first handful of rounds threw the gun or not. Most all 22’s seem to shoot better the more rounds put down the pipe.
    Then again you very well may have got a turd from them.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Face the facts. It's a Taurus. Low rent sorry copy of someone else's design. Poorly constructed out of steel that is a step above pot metal, with springs that belong in a ball point pen. Those who own them know they are garbage, but feel the need to jump up on a soap box and defend them when someone posts a negative comment(otherwise known as the truth) about Taurus. We all have been fooled into buying one by their low price and neat configurations(like the 5 shot 44 and 45 Tracker), but quickly came to our senses and sold them after one trip to the range.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tek4260 View Post
    Face the facts. It's a Taurus. Low rent sorry copy of someone else's design. Poorly constructed out of steel that is a step above pot metal, with springs that belong in a ball point pen. Those who own them know they are garbage, but feel the need to jump up on a soap box and defend them when someone posts a negative comment(otherwise known as the truth) about Taurus. We all have been fooled into buying one by their low price and neat configurations(like the 5 shot 44 and 45 Tracker), but quickly came to our senses and sold them after one trip to the range.
    Brutally honest. I have that trait also. I'm getting better with it, but it still gets me in trouble from time to time.

Boolit Buddy
    funny, I don't remember ever standing on a soap box when talking about how well my taurus's have performed. I have an M85 an a PT1911 and both have performed flawlessly to date. like any other gun maker, yes kimber and SW have both had jam omatics but they get a pass. i get so tired of people blaming the entire line of a maker, because they either got a lemon themselves, or heard a story from a friend of a friend about how bad his taurus is. I own smith,s rugers and others down to a lowly Jenning j22, and yes it hasn't blown up yet either and its 20 yrs old. if you got a lemon you got a lemon, doesn't matter who made it, they all make lemons now and then. If there's something wrong with your gun Jim taurus will fix it. Just my .02 for what its worth.
    Last edited by kyle623; 09-17-2011 at 07:56 AM.
    Have lead, Will cast

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle623 View Post
    funny, I don't remember ever standing on a soap box when talking about how well my taurus's have performed. I have an M85 an a PT1911 and both have performed flawlessly to date. like any other gun maker, yes kimber and SW have both had jam omatics but they get a pass. i get so tired of people blaming the entire line of a maker, because they either got a lemon themselves, or heard a story from a friend of a friend about how bad his taurus is. I own smith,s rugers and others down to a lowly Jenning j22, and yes it hasn't blown up yet either and its 20 yrs old. if you got a lemon you got a lemon, doesn't matter who made it, they all make lemons now and then. If there's something wrong with your gun Jim taurus will fix it. Just my .02 for what its worth.
    This is so true. I worked for a sporting good distributor for 4 years and sold many thousands of firearms. One notable lemon was a M29 S&W that came back. The customer fired one cylinder full and could not eject the empty cases. I examined the gun when it returned and the issue was one case that was firmly stuck in the cylinder. After I pounded it out, the cause was obvious. The chamber reamer had chatter so bad in that one hole it looked like it had been done with a rat tail file. Lemons come in all flavors and price ranges. I had a Colt Python that shot 18" low at 50 yards with the rear sight elevated as far as possible. It was the "Silhouette" model. I sent it back to Colt and they found no issues with it. Even sent it back with a test target. Of course, they targeted it with 125 gr ammo. Who shoots silhouette with 125 gr bullets? I called the factory and they would not correct the issue. As I said, any gun can be a lemon regardless the price or name tag.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OBIII View Post
    Taurus is Mandarin for Lemon. Better luck next time, Jim. Here's how one guy modified his "Hi-Point" on U-tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us7mK...layer_embedded
    I have no dog in this hunt as I have never shot or owned either. I am thinking about a Hi-Point, though, just from the cost factor.,
    That guy is a MORON. HI Points may be inexpensive but they are about indestructible and accurate. (There are YOU TUBE video's that prove that ) I would make a bet if I Challenged that guy to bend over at that same distance and bet I could not shoot him in the posterior with a HI Point he would pass. LOL I have one in 45 ACP and it is accurate. Shoots cast well too once I got the barrel cleaned out well from shooting factory jacketed.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Banned

Some of the holes look like the bullets are not stable. I had a 357 from them that did the same thing. Looked down the barrel and the rifling was really heavey on one side and a smooth bore on the other side.

Boolit Master

Is a Taurus Lemon the one with the grip safety?

Quote Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
    Is a Taurus Lemon the one with the grip safety?
    And the ones without...

Boolit Grand Master

My only first hand experience in detail was rebuilding a friend's Taurus 1911 into a reliable
    pistol. While, to be totally honest it was not a ***, it was a real exercise in making a gun
    with the lowest possible cost engineered into it. I own many 1911s from mil stock to pretty
    high end and have worked on them for 30+ yrs. ALL the Taurus small parts were redesigned to
    work with a sloppier fit than is normally required. I could go on about how each piece was
    re-engineered to be cheaper to make and still work with less hand fitting.

The take home is that it is a low cost 1911. It reminds me of some of the 'consumer grade'
    chainsaws. They absolutely work, but all the materials and design are for low cost and they
    will wear out a lot faster than a Stihl, but for MANY customers, a 25 hr operating life means
    it will last for 35 yrs because they cut about 45 min or less per year. For a pro, it will be done
    in a week and a half. Different grades for diffferent users. Like a Harbor Freight hammer drill
    for me. I might use it for 1 hour every other year. Fine for me, but would be worn out in a week
    by a pro.

Same for this 1911 Taurus. It started misfiring and hammer following at about 1000 rds.
    Frame, slide and bbl were good quality. So we replaced everything else with good parts and
    now the gun runs like a champ. To a large extent you get what you pay for, but I do realize
    that many folks only shoot a box or so per year, so the 1000 round point will come up in
    20 yrs, so they will be happy with that sort of life. For some, that is 1 month of shooting.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Moderator Emeritus

I also wondered if the bullets were stable. Could you try it at 50 yards and using a large enough target, see if they are key-holing? If so send the target in as well.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Some of them WERE keyholing. Look at top left hole and the bottom left three. Clearly
    keyholing.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.