Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sorting Brass

Boolit Master

Question Sorting Brass

Here is my question, does it do any good to sort out brass by brand. By this I mean W-W from Winchester, R-P, PMC, Midway, etc. I do sort out the commerical from the G.I.

This is for 45 Colt, 45 acp and 44 Magnum.

What do the rest of you think?

Thanks,

Ron

I do not sort out handgun brass. I am picky about my varmint rifle brass.
    I am one gun away from happy

On Heaven's Range

Well, I do sort the pistol brass by headstamp. It's a holdover from our Bullseye competition days, when I strove to eliminate every possible variable.

Besides, I like the way all-the-same headstamps look in my 100-round boxes.....

I guess this stuff is really getting to me!
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master

Wink

---I don't sort pistol or rifle brass--its really up to you----If your load is good and you do your part-----Some loads are easy to shoot and 45 long colt and 45 auto and 44 mag fall into that category---Trigger control is the most important part of shooting---other things are important but without trigger control results will be poor-------Mag

"Moderator Emeritus"

In the 44 mag, I sort by R-P for accurate plinker loads (429667X7.0 Unique) starline for heavy hunting or OMG, it's eating me loads. and all the rest for everyday normal 1200fps loads.
    In 45acp I sort federal for serious loads and everthing else gets loaded with unique and 225-230gr squeeze-bang-explode fun loads.
    Krag35

I have never met a dishonest dog.

Expatriate, in my own country.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't sort 45 acp brass, most of which is range pick up.
    45 Colt I do sort, then I trim to uniform length. Most of mine is Star.
    Jim
    Cast boolets are the true and rightious path to shooting bliss.

Boolit Master At Heavens Range 2009 chunkum's Avatar

sort brass or not?

Consistancy is what is to be desired in any aspect of reloading and the brass is no exception. For plinking purposes, some sacrifices will not make a lot of difference. As distances increase and accuracy becomes more of a critical issue, consistancy in as many parameters as possible becomes more important. Sorting brass is one area in which varibility can be controled, as is trimming to a cosistant length for uniform crimp/neck-tension results. Bottom line: It depends on what kind of shooting you intend to do and what you expect of your reloads.
    Best Regards,
    chunkum
    Last edited by chunkum; 11-22-2006 at 12:25 PM. Reason: spelling :)
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and it irritates the pig.

Boolit Master
    Thanks to all who have replied. Much appreciated.

Another question, is W-W and Winchester the same with different headstamps ?

Thanks again,

Ron

I shoot a ton of .45acp and never sort the stuff. The brass shortens over time, lasts forever and I have not noticed any difference over my chrony using mixed vs sorted brass in .45acp.

I shoot some .45LC and use Starline brass all trimmed to the same length. I do sort my .38spl cases, and trim them to same length but I am not sure why. Just habit.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Brass is just like powder. Every lot is different! ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Brass is just like powder. Every lot is different! ... felix

I had to think about this for a minute because I simply couldn't believe that it would be done any other way. That gives you the hint about me huh?

Yep. I agree. And I not only sort by brand but by batch as well.

Boolit Buddy
    I fall into the BruceB category, I sort everything. For 80% of my handgun shooting it's probably a waste of time, but I too like having all of the same headstamp in a box. Felix is also very correct, every lot of brass is different, though I don't think that even if I had a rifle good enough to know the difference, I could shoot well enough to see much change. to answer your question, "W-W' & 'Winchester' are the same & different. I don't sort them seperately, they all go into the Win bin.

-Klaus

Boolit Grand Master
    You'll find me in the Bruce B/Klaus G camp on this question. I sort by make, and it might be a waste of time with most of my handguns......but I do it anyway.

One caliber where it ISN'T a waste of time is the 9 x 19 Parabellum. There are significant differences in dimensions and weights between the several makers' cases. I have settled on R-P as my "go-to" case for this caliber, and usually trade off or discard others.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I don't bother

My machine guns don't care. They aren't bullseye shooters anyway. Most of my shooting is just plinking anyway.
    What is important is case length more than anything in my opinion.

I agree with Deputy Al when it comes to 9MM cases. For .45acp I have not seen any difference in performance. Sorting .45acp, well I haven't been retired long enough to bother.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    Felix,

I understand what you mean about how eah lot of brass is different, but when you have as much brass for pistol caliber as I do that has been either bought used or is range pickup I figure the best I can do is sort by maker.

Thanks,

Ron

Smile

I sort everything by headstamp. I guess I'm just anal about that.

I've been doing this since I first started hand loading and bought 1,000 .30 Carbine military brass for $10. I sorted them by arsenal and by date, even to the point I had 18 of this and 23 of that. Not sure why, and darned sure it didn't matter in the Carbine.

But I'm sure there is a difference in SOME loads, so I just do it for all.

Just like I ream out the flash hole on brass that's new to me, whether new or range pickup.
    Regards,

WE

I do not sort brass in my .45 ACP for range use or IDPA but if I am going for bullseye style shooting then yes. I will sort by headstamp and weigh after trimming.
    My firearms review site. http://rangehot.com/

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkum View Post
    Consistancy is what is to be desired in any aspect of reloading and the brass is no exception. For plinking purposes, some sacrifices will not make a lot of difference. As distances increase and accuracy becomes more of a critical issue, consistancy in as many parameters as possible becomes more important. Sorting brass is one area in which varibility can be controled, as is trimming to a cosistant length for uniform crimp/neck-tension results. Bottom line: It depends on what kind of shooting you intend to do and what you expect of your reloads.
    Best Regards,
    chunkum
    I agree with you to 100%. length/ crimp is very importent for accuracy.

Boolit Master

i sort all of my pistol & rifle brass by brand & if possible by lot # , i also trim all of my pistol brass for straight wall pistol that use a roll crimp . i usually use a different brand of brass for different loads ,so by just seeing what brass i have i can tell what the powder charge is, which is usefull when you use a few loads with the same bullet. for all pistol brass i have at least 4 brands for each caliber for some i have 8.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast