Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25 Auto

Boolit Master

25 Auto

Anyone shoot cast in 25 Auto?

My dad has two 25's we dont shoot them enough for the molds to even be paid for with the savings on j-bullets.

Just interested in how well they shoot. Dads are arent very accurate past arms length but they are good pocket guns, you know what they say "first rule of a gun fight...bring a gun"

I think it would be interesting to have a carbine chambered for 25 auto, might be good for rabbits and squirrels.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master
    I really don't see how that little pipsqeak has held on for so long. It is an interesting little thing though. My guess is that you probably won't find many that are anywhere near accurate. They are itty bitty little pocket pistols, not meant for any long range shooting and not powerful enough for much of anything. Have to admit though to having the same kind of thoughts you're having. I've not wondered about rifles or game, but an economical plinker. Kind of like having a baby brother to the .30 Carbine. We gun lovers can get some real strange thoughts sometimes.

Boolit Master
    I cast for the 25 with a 2 cavity mold I got from someone on this board. I haven't experimented with it too much as it is a bit dinky to cast, size and load. I suspect the factory loads are on the anemic side based on some limited penetration tests as compared to some of the 35 grain JHPs I loaded. I have a Beretta Jetfire and it does shoot surprisingly well.

Its virtue and probable longivity is due to its tiny size and concealability. True, its rather puny but its better than shouting "go away" and was a nice companion on long motorcycle trips.

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    I believe that the .25 Auto has held on for so long because it is a much sturdier round than the .22 LR. Rule no. 2 about gunfights, "bring a gun that feeds."
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Grand Master
    I came across a 25 ACP die set a while back, and got all sorts of grief from the Peanut Gallery here about handloading the caliber. Well, I don't. I do use the sizer die to neck-size 25-20 WCF cases, but that's about it. I think Curmudgeon hit the nail on the head--feeding reliability advantages over a lot of 22 Short and 22 LR pocket pistols is likely the reason for its continued popularity.

I've used a few 22 LR pocket pistols over the years--a stainless Walther TPH once went on a neck chain or hat cord under my body armor for Onion Field Insurance at work. That little critter was reliable with Remington HVHP's, and (for its size) pretty accurate. It would keep all shots inside the 8-ring of a B-27 target at 25 yards, if I kept a close eye on business. I now have a blue-steel version that needs more range time--but it ran pretty well on its maiden flight.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    Anyone shoot cast in 25 Auto?

I think it would be interesting to have a carbine chambered for 25 auto, might be good for rabbits and squirrels.
    We need to see if Buckshot can build a Mauser in .25
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Grand Master
    Oh, please don't! He would assume I put everyone up to it, and my supply of H&I dies would dry up forthwith.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I used to load for a H&R .25 Auto. The Ideal 252435 bullet wasn't so good as the nose was pretty short of "bore riding;" most of the shots keyholed. I found the 257420, sized down enough to fit in the case, a little better.

Not a lot of scope for creative handloading there; if I recall, all my loads were 0.8 gr of Bullseye or somewhere near. The H&R had a nice big sloppy chamber and a somewhat pitted bore (and no sights) but it did OK because of the very ergonomic grip and the way it held. Don't recall any jams, even with cast bullet loads. Never lost a case to full-length sizing, either; they seemed pretty stout.

Finally traded off the little H&R to somebody who already had the .32 version and needed to complete the set.

A friend had one of those Colt vest-pocket size .25's and it shot very accurately for such a small gun. Never tried anything but factory ammo in it, though.

In Remebrance

Sad to say, but I have a lovely little Beretta 25 auto. The sucker can shoot too! The biggest problem is the sights. On the old SHooters board there was talk of converting a 10/22 and Mk2 Ruger Peestol to 25 and seeing what it would really do. Any gun is better than no gun. I've taken a few skunks, coons, cats with the 25 and 35 gr HP. It's better than a 22, but not up to the 22 mag or anywhere near the 380/38S+W/32S+W Long.

Boolit Grand Master
    25 ACP in a full-sized rimfire handgun.......or a 10/22. Just dunno. I suspect the factory ammo is significantly underloaded from Browning's original idea of a bullet at 850-875 FPS. Even at full potential loadings, how much faster could a 50 grain FMJ or 35 grain JHP get going? I imagine SOMEONE has tried this somewhere, and the lack of discussion or documentation on this idea might be a measure of the experiment's outcome. The silence is deafening, in other words.

We have also discussed the re-birth of a 25 caliber rimfire with updated ballistics from the old rounds--seeing the prices of the 17 HMR and 17 Mach 2, I suspect it would die a borning from ammo costs. No doubt about the 25 rimfire cartridge's value as a small game harvester, but such uses are not commercially viable these days. Folks that want such calibers just dig up a 25-20 or 32-20, like many of us here--or adapt their methods to the 22 LR. Non-casters and non-reloaders are the probable big market for the 17 HMR, enough cheaper than the bulk-packed 223's and enough accurate for a lot of varminting. It's no equal of the 22 Hornet, but has usurped the Hornet's role to some degree. The 17 HMR's are accurate--more so than the 22 WMR, from what I've gathered--but I can still reload 223's with j-words for around the same cost as buying 17 HMR's, even less cost for the Hornet, and less yet for the 243's with castings. This last platform has been a real enjoyable project for me, yielding some of the best cast boolit/rifle accuracy I've obtained, and whacking rats with vigor.

Ok, I'll stop now. Starting to ramble here.

Back in the 30's Charles Askins, Jr. had Pachmayr convert a High Standard target pistol to .25 acp, and shot it in the "Any Centerfire" category at Perry. He won the national pistol championship that year. After that, they changed the rules so that it had to be at least .32 caliber.

When I came across that story the caliber was .22 Velodog. Here is a link to a good story about Askins by Skeeter Skelton. Well worth reading.
    http://www.darkcanyon.net/The_Legend...ley_Askins.htm

Banned

If i consentrate real hard my 25 berreta will put gold dots into 2 inch at 25 yards off of bags. Thats as good as some of my single action will do .

Boolit Mold
    I agree it isnt my idea of a great round either but I have a seecamp that is undetectable when worn well. It is not very powerful but I would not want to take one to the noggin from 10 feet. Better than a knife and easier to carry.
    My 2 cents worth.

Mel

Boolit Master
    My dad loads for his two 25's. One a Baur the other a Sterling. He loads them pretty hot at 1.1grs and a 50gr FMJ if I remember correctly. They both feed every round out of the mag. The load is a flame thrower and you can barely hold on to the pistol...lol

I still think is would be a fun cartridge in something like a Handi Rifle. No recoil more punch the a 22 and probably equal noise level.

If only I could find a barrel the right bore diameter and long enough to make a sleeve for my NEF.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

25 Acp

I've been reloading the 25 ACP since I don't know when.
    Use to buy once fired-primer test bulk brass and there were always a bazillon 25s in the bottom, or so it seemed.
    I bought a Hollywood carbide sizing die back before everyone else had them.
    Use the 252435 HP as the mould of choice.
    Originally converted a Herters 243 sizing lube die.
    Getting a powder measure to throw the small powder charge was a trial and error method.
    Have a little blue powder measure which was originally for pistol powder and I move the brass insert up enough to throw the charge I need.
    And the 25 is all that powder measure does!
    Actually was looking at a couple little 25s last weekend.
    Just couldn't convince myself to pay the required $.
    Maybe this weekend.
    DaveP

In Remebrance

The hard part with the 25 Auto, and 25 Stevens RF for that matter, is the .251 bore. When we were discussing it on Shooters the guy with the idea said he had a line on .251 liners. If one could be found a Handi rifle would be a great platform to test fire. I would think the 35 condum loads could be pushed well over 1200fps, maybe faster. Accuracy would be the main question.

I've got a guy with a Stevens Marksman 25 Stevens Long I've been trying to buy for 10 years. The 25 Auto allegedly can be fired in the Stevens, as the 32 Uto can be fired in the 32S+W Long. Extraction is iffy. Be interesting to try.

Boolit Buddy
    I keep seeing people comment that 25 auto has a bigger punch than a .22lr, and I wonder how this could be so. How does a 35-50 grain bullet moving at 850-875 fps have more punch than a 40 grain bullet moving at 1200-1450 fps? Am I missing something here? Please clarify.

The .22 long rifle won't do that velocity out of a 2" barrel.

Scrounger, an excellent article, and much more authoritative than the one I read. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast