Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lyman Lube Sizer vs. RCBS Lube-A-Matic

Boolit Buddy
    I too am shopping for a lube sizer. Anything wrong with the Saeco? I understand mounting it to the side for better leverage. Or should I buy the RCBS? The star is out of my budget but don't want something that will easily break either.

Banned
    To be dead honest.....If I could go back in time I would have simply pan-lubed awhile longer, saved my pennies and along with that I spent on lyman style sizers and waited till I could afford the STAR. IMO it is worth the wait and you will not have to "dump" the other stuff (dies/top punches) at a loss once you do get the STAR. Just one mans take that did it wrong when 20/20 hindsight is factored in.

L 4500 has done me well

Boolit Buddy
    I'd love the star but I'm on a budget. The new ones are $325 plus dies. I only lube about 200 or so bullets at a time. I do like the Saeco with the spring loaded lube system.

Boolit Grand Master
    I should amend a remark I made a couple years ago in this thread. I have purchased a 2nd sizer/luber, but unlike my stated intentions to go RCBS I opted for a Lyman 4500. Familiarity and spare parts inventory figured into this, but the 4500 machine is an obviously more strongly-built tool than is my existing 450. I also incorporates a heater element that does almost too good a job in summer temps, so I see an inline switch or rheostat being spliced into its power cord sometime soon. After a year of use, it has confirmed my belief that it is a better tool than its predecessor 450.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by timtonya View Post
    I too am shopping for a lube sizer. Anything wrong with the Saeco? I understand mounting it to the side for better leverage. Or should I buy the RCBS? The star is out of my budget but don't want something that will easily break either.
    It is hard for anyone except yourself to answer some questions. I also think the star is a good machine though I do not have one. As for what I do it is simply not needed. I can see saving and getting a star if you plan to do allot of the same bullets at a time.

I use an Old Lyman 45 but I also use a semi soft lube by Lars called BAC so it works fine. But if I size and lube 150 bullets that is a bunch lol.

So if you do not shoot a whole lot or you shoot a little of different type and size of bullets then the Lyman 4500 should serve you well as mentioned they have a heater that is designed for the Lyman 45OO so you can use a harder lube such as CR. Or you can Tumble lube with 45-45-10 or also as mentioned pan lube.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Mold
    Star all the way! A little more expensive, okay quite a bit more expensive but soooo much faster. Purchased a Star recently and am so happy with its operation.

Boolit Buddy
    Star is nice but for the expense, I don't believe you should have to use lead shot to fill some of the lube holes.

Boolit Buddy
    To those that one the Lyman 4500, how stoutly built is it? I've read reviews where the linkage gets sloppy and isn't as nice as the RCBS.

Boolit Mold
    I had both of the two, but I found the RCBS to be better in general.

Boolit Buddy
    So why doesn't anyone ever pick the Saeco? I use Redding dies all the time. I don't mind the extra expense of the dies.

Boolit Grand Master
    To those that one the Lyman 4500, how stoutly built is it? I've read reviews where the linkage gets sloppy and isn't as nice as the RCBS.
    The 4500 has a more secure and potentially better-aligned ram than does my 450, but you are correct in saying that the Lyman linkage does not inspire confidence in its strength or its alignment integrity maintenance. The system has done a "good enough" job for me to enable a sufficient number of sub-MOA cast bullet groups to give the Lyman system a second shot and declare it "good enough". I am so deeply invested in Lyman-type H&I dies that to use any other sizing/lubing system than the Lyman/RCBS would be economic folly. Add on the plethora of spare parts of all sorts already on hand for the Lyman tools and my 33 years of success with them......well?
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Mold
    What kind of lube, hollow or solid, works with the RCBS sizer?

Quote Originally Posted by SantaFe66 View Post
    Sorry I am a bit confused by the question. But depending on how you look at it both. The hollow stick lubes have a hole in the center the size of the pressure stem. Or to say the screw that goes through the middle of the lube cylinder. A solid has no hole. But can be melted and poured into the sizer then of course let it cool off and harden before use.

LsStuff-White Label Lube http://www.lsstuff.com/ has a very good selection of bullet lube in all forms. Solid,Hollow and they sell most of it in pounds if you should so desire.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaFe66 View Post
    If you are buying {shudder} your lube in sticks, you will need the hollow stick for either the Lyman or RCBS sizer.

If you make your own lube; you can either make molds for the hollow stick, or melt it and pour it in. I usually fill my LAM after I am done for the day, this lets the lube cool and set up before the next use.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Star is nice but for the expense, I don't believe you should have to use lead shot to fill some of the lube holes.
    The Star is much faster and more concentric then the others, if the die matches the bullet you don't have to plug anything, money spent on anything else is a waste, as most serious shooters end up with a Star, or 3 of them like me.

Boolit Master
    I own three Lyman #45, five #450, one SACO and one RCBS. I keep them each set up for a different caliber. While it is true that the Lyman sizing dies will work in the RCBS whether they are old or new but the reverse is not true, at least not for the #45. The dies for it are of two diameters. I made the mistake of forcing a new Lyman die in one of my #45s and I had to dismantle the sizer and pound it out with a drift pin. The SACO is great but the dies and the top punches cost a lot more. I have never owned a Star.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

I have an old Lyman 45 & an RCBS. I prefer the RCBS.
    Last edited by Rod B; 08-21-2015 at 02:08 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I have an older Lyman 450 and an RCBS and I personally prefer the RCBS for my use.

So why doesn't anyone ever pick the Saeco? I use Redding dies all the time. I don't mind the extra expense of the dies.
    I have used a SAECO and while it looks well made it had the worst alignment issue ever. The RCBS is a bit simpler and eats O-rings but that is what I use. Never had a Lyman.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast