Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Convert RCBS lube sizer to push through

Boolit Master

Convert RCBS lube sizer to push through

I have a spare RCBS lube sizer that I am considering using a push through sizer for powder coated bullets.
    Has anyone ever used an HI die (with no lube)as a push through?
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master
    I understand there are a lot that have been doing it. I personally use the Lee push through dies for PC because they are inexpensive and I can use them on my press which is a lot faster.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    I understand there are a lot that have been doing it. I personally use the Lee push through dies for PC because they are inexpensive and I can use them on my press which is a lot faster.
    Lee does not make a 0.258 push through and I have a H.I. die for RCBS in .258

Boolit Master
    Easy as pie 10X. I do this at times because I have a proper size H&I die on hand and not a Lee push thru. Just pull the pin out of the die and remove the threaded adjuster and pin lifter (the parts under the die) to get them out of the way. Not always needed but I have fat fingers and you want to catch the sized boolits as they drop from below the die. I replace the top punch with a 1/4 inch bolt with the head filed down to pass easily thru whatever size die I'm using. Get the 1/4 inch bolts with the long unthreaded shank and you can vary the length as needed to allow clearance for the boolit and still push it as far thru the die as possible. The next boolit will push it the rest of the way and out. Don't put the threaded end of the bolt in the ram! It gammahooches up the inside! Champher the head of the bolt a bit so not to nick the mouth of the die. I do this with a drill and a file. No special tools needed. Audie...the Oldfart.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart1956 View Post
    Easy as pie 10X. I do this at times because I have a proper size H&I die on hand and not a Lee push thru. Just pull the pin out of the die and remove the threaded adjuster and pin lifter (the parts under the die) to get them out of the way. Not always needed but I have fat fingers and you want to catch the sized boolits as they drop from below the die. I replace the top punch with a 1/4 inch bolt with the head filed down to pass easily thru whatever size die I'm using. Get the 1/4 inch bolts with the long unthreaded shank and you can vary the length as needed to allow clearance for the boolit and still push it as far thru the die as possible. The next boolit will push it the rest of the way and out. Don't put the threaded end of the bolt in the ram! It gammahooches up the inside! Champher the head of the bolt a bit so not to nick the mouth of the die. I do this with a drill and a file. No special tools needed. Audie...the Oldfart.
    Thank you very much!
    With powder coating I may well forget about wax and alox lubes.
    My 22 hornet put 10 shots into a dime size group at 25 meters using a NOE 37 grain plain base bullet with powder coat and some extremely old Dupont bulk powder. MV is about 1300 fps.
    I hope to do this well with my recently acquired 25-35...

Boolit Bub
    I've got a lube sizer I'm waiting on parts for because a previous owner didn't understand machines.

Not to say what you are trying to do won't work, but I will say a regular press can handle a lot more strain. A lee 243 die and a F drill would get you close and polish it out to where you want it.

But if you already have the h&i die in the size you want, go for it. Just remember it isn't a rock-chucker.

Boolit Master
    Merich is right on. If you have access to a small lathe or drill press large enough to chuck up a die it's easy to polish out several thousands on a die. A little diamond paste on a hard wooden dowel will even polish out carbide. Since powder coating is about the same hardness as copper plate it is going to put more of a strain on the lube/sizer, but it should work. I considered making a threaded die for my press that would hold the H.I. dies, but all die sizes I need I can get or have in a Lee push through die. Good luck with your project.