Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lyman Lube Sizer vs. RCBS Lube-A-Matic

Boolit Buddy

Lyman Lube Sizer vs. RCBS Lube-A-Matic

I have both an old Lyman Lube Sizer and an old RCBS Lube-A-Matic. Both do not have heaters. I have three dies for the Lyman and none for the RCBS.

Is one better than the other? I will need to purchase more dies, but don't know which one to buy dies for.

Any comments would be helpful!

Thanks,
    Jason

Boolit Master

did you try your lyman dies in your RCBS i think they will fit i would keep them bolth
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy
    I will try putting the Lyman dies in the RCBS. The pictures online of the RCBS and Lyman dies look different, so figured they weren't standardized.

Boolit Buddy
    Also, the new ones come with heaters. Should I purchase a heater?

Boolit Master

The heater will be your choice depending on the lube, and possibly the temp in your loading area...I have a heater from Midway on one of mine the others I do not, but if the lube does need a little warmth on those, I use a hobby iron set on the base of the sizer. Mounting the sizer on a plate of aluminum or steel with a regular iron will work fine as well. (other ideas are out there, heat lamp, etc....)

Doug

Boolit Master

Definately keep both! The dies work in both. If you cast long enough you will probably add a third and a fourth. I keep 3 set up, each with a different lube so I don't have to mess with melting lube out of the press when I make a change. I keep a real old Lyman #1 with BAC, a RCBS with SPG, and a Lyman 450 with a harder lube in it. The #1 and the 450 have heaters on a rheostat. The #1 with BAC has a heater just to be kind to it's old mechanism.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Buddy
    So one's not better than the other?

Are RCBS dies better than Lyman dies? (I ask because the RCBS dies are more expensive.)

Midnight - What calibers do you use with each lube?

Boolit Buddy
    94Doug - So the heater is there just to make the lube more plyable?

Boolit Master
    I have both dies, myself I prefer the Lyman, as the entrance has more of a taper, but they both work fine.
    Sometimes they are undersize slightly and need to be opened up.

Boolit Buddy
    Heavy Lead - Are some the Lyman undersized, or is it some of the Lyman and RCBS are undersized?

Boolit Grand Master
    In my Lyman 450 sizers, both Lyman and RCBS are interchangeable. I prefer Lyman dies to RCBS dies, and strongly prefer Buckshot's dies to either of those. Buckshot's dies are ON THE DOT, and better made. And--Buckshot is a cool guy, even if he doesn't fish.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

The SPG is used mostly for the old black powder cartridges like 45-70 & 577-450, 38-55 although it works well with any low pressure cartridge. The White Label BAC is used mostly with the 25-20, 38 Spl, 357, 44Mag, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 500 S&W, 50 Beowulf and similar cartridges. The harder lube is Jake's Ceresin Scarlet and is used with most of my higher velocity & pressure rifle catrridges. I believe all of my dies are Lyman. They cost less and are usually the only ones seen used on gun show tables. When buying used Lyman dies be careful to only buy the newer ones with four lube holes and a tapered entrance. The old Lyman dies were bored straight and tended to shave lead making out of round bullets. If I had it to do all over again I would go with the SAECO. Their threaded top punch it seems to me to align better with the nose of the bullet. The Lyman method with a set screw would, it apears to me, allow for misalignment or the nose punch. If you can't find the die you want, Buckshot on this forum will make you any size you want. The Perfessor here also makes a self aligning nose punch for you. Sorry to be so longwinded but a relative newcomer here can use all the advice he can get. Maybe others will chime in with advice disagreeing with mine but that is how we all learn.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    In my Lyman 450 sizers, both Lyman and RCBS are interchangeable. I prefer Lyman dies to RCBS dies, and strongly prefer Buckshot's dies to either of those. Buckshot's dies are ON THE DOT, and better made. And--Buckshot is a cool guy, even if he doesn't fish.
    buckshot dont fish
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks a bunch guys!

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    buckshot dont fish
    Come on with a name like Buckshot he is afraid if he falls in the water he will sink lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master

Yes, there are some lubes that REQUIRE heat, and then harden. Something like Felix lube, (if you decide to make them) Speed Green and Ben's red are fairly soft, and in most cases do not need the heat. There are comercial lubes like sold here that will flow without heat as well. I say most cases, as I have my set up in the basement, and if it gets too cool, heat is needed.

The dies are interchangeable. I like the Lyman better than the RCBS. However, the RCBS luber I find is a better piece of kit than the Lyman, and RCBS stands behind their product a lot better than Lyman does. If you break a part or something wears out, RCBS replaces it no questions asked. Lyman...you'll often have to pay for the replacement part and the shipping. Not so with RCBS.

As for buying a heater or model with built-in heater, unless you plan on using a lot of hard lubes, it isn't necessary. You can get away using an improvised heater with a 100 watt light bulb in a table lamp or a hair dryer.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting."
    - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Grand Master
    I'll pile on with X-Man and say that if another lube-sizer comes aboard, it will be RCBS--and for the reasons he stated.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

In Remebrance

I have the Lyman 45, 450 and an RCBS LAM, the old model. Dies interchange. I prefer the RCBS, then the 45 and the 450 last. I have had dies from both companies be off.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all of the insight guys! Still in the process of gathering tools and supplies for casting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast