WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 32 w.s. Success!!!!!!!!!!

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri

32 w.s. Success!!!!!!!!!!

I've owned a Winchester Model 94 in 32 Special for something over 10 years, kind of a unique little carbine in production for about 5 years from the late 70's until USRA took over production. According to Blue Book there were 7984 of them produced in 32 and 38-55. They are a standard top eject 16" barreled carbine labeled "Wrangler". Laser engraved receiver, nicely fitted, saddle ring, hoop lever, semi buck horn sights. I never did much with it, changed the rear sight to a Williams 5D that I had on hand; that doubled the sight radius, blanked the rear dovetail. I put a couple hundred rounds of hand loads thru it using Hornady and Speer 170 gr. soft points. It was OK, but kicked pretty hard, being short and light. I cleaned it up and left it alone for a few years. About 5 years ago I stopped in Missoula and talked to Jon Vivas at Western Bullet Co. He had several boxes of a .321 boolit from an NEI 150 gr. FP mold I bought a few boxes and started searching for data. Found a recipe for SR4759, loaded a few, fired them, pretty good at short range. Went home loaded 50 rounds and never got back to the gun until last Sunday afternoon. I was invited to a private range on a big farm out on the prairie. I took the little rifle, there were gongs set up at various known ranges and it was"have at them but make sure you have your muzzle past the line when loaded", actually it was a rope strung out on the ground. I observed for a while, everyone was very conscientious about safety so I pulled out the little rifle and gave it a try. 200 yard gong, it was dead!!!!!! over and over. I can't believe it worked as well as it did. Had to adjust the rear sight up or hold over, but I was very surprised, I let a couple of others try it and they were dumbfounded. There was one other guy shooting cast in a 1891 vintage "86 Winchester 40-65 carbine. We had a lot of fun showing the modern shooters what we could do with the old, obsolete, slow, dirty, nasty lead bullets. I'm going to spend more time with the little '94 this fall. Good day and fun was had by all. Oh, I traded the hoop lever away years ago for almost 3 times what a standard lever cost me from Brownells.
    Last edited by Guesser; 09-13-2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: spelling

The 32 Winchester Special and cast bullet are a match made in gun heaven.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Amen.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the 32-170 Rcbs mould for my 32 special and recently picked up one of the old winchester 32-165 moulds but had no time to load any with that.

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone owning a .32 WS and not shooting cast bullets is missing out on one the all time great
    cast bullet shooting calibers. I have two Win 94's (1949 & 1969) and two Marlin 336SC's
    (1951 & 1958). Still hunt deer with my .32 WS's and with great success I might add. I'm shooting the RCBS 08-170FNGC bullet in all of them. My come out weighing 182gr lubed and checked. I use 2400 powder and Fed 215 magnum primers. The Fed 215 primer gives better
    ballistics, i.e. lower extreme spreads and lower standard deviations with super accuracy!!
    358 Win

Boolit Master

I shoot a 1951 32 special marlin myself. With the 170 rcbs boolit,and h-335 powder,i go over 2200 f.p.s.,no leading,and way under 1 inch groups,@50 yards,with peep sight.

Love this gun,and cartridge!

Boolit Grand Master

And to think I passed on a pretty decent 94 in .32 several months ago.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Quote Originally Posted by mainiac View Post
    I shoot a 1951 32 special marlin myself. With the 170 rcbs boolit,and h-335 powder,i go over 2200 f.p.s.,no leading,and way under 1 inch groups,@50 yards,with peep sight.

Love this gun,and cartridge!
    Same Here!
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!
    Will kill for food!

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Throating and twisting the 30-30 the same as for the Winnie 32WS, and then picking a RCBS 150 lookalike to the RCBS 32-170 grainer, makes for an exquisite King and Queen for the lever gun world. ... felix
    felix

i have a 336 marlin made 1952 it is a tack driver. when i got it off gb. 3 years ago i put on a vintage lyman reciever sight and loaded it with a speer 170 gr. and 30 gr. of imr4895 and was in total shock at the accuracy of this rifle, me and my brother was hitting golf balls at around 90yds off hand. at 50yds it will stack them into one ragged hole. i started to cast for it soon after and got the same result. i have killed 2 deer with it one with cast and one a jacket. i love it and will never part with it. with cast i use 28.6 gr. of imr4895 two months ago i got a model 8 remington in 32 rem. the rimless 32hps it also is a very accurate rifle with the same loads. just something about the accuracy of those 32s
    Last edited by bowhunter; 09-18-2011 at 05:08 PM. Reason: more info

Boolit Grand Master
    Funny thing, a few years back I wanted a 30-30 94 made in 1953, year I was born. I shopped gun broker, auction arms, pawn shops from Kalifornia to Texas. I found 4 94's that were made in 53--all 32 WS. Finally, about 5 years back, I found my "birthday"30-30 carbine in a Bakersfield gun shop. But I wish I had bit on one of the 32 WS, that'd been a nifty boolit gun.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I started this thread out of pure astonishment on my part. I have a Savage 99 in 30-30 built in 1936. I have no idea how that will work with cast, but I'm screwing up my courage to give it a try; haven't screwed up anything else, lately!!!!!
    Anyone else use cast in a 99/30-30???

Smile

I have a 99 in 303 savage that i shoot the RCBS 30-180-FN and Ranch Dogs TLC311-165-RF loaded with 4759 it's accurate enough to shoot 150 yd plates offhand with the tang sight and 61 year old eyes! Fun time!

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a 1953 (per lever boss code) Savage 99 in .300 Savage and shoot the Lyman 31141
    bullet. Bullet is a little long for the short neck of .300 Savage but she does quite well none the less. It shoots J bullets as accurately as anything I own. Kills deer right smart too!
    358 Win

Boolit Bub
    I have a Savage 99 in 30-30; it is one of the most accurate rifles I own. I have shot the Lee c309-170 FN and the Lyman 311466 with good success in this rifle; action functioned flawlessly and decent accuracy (1.5" groups @ 50 yds. with iron sights).

The Lee c309-180 R works great in a 303 Savage Model 99 and in a Remington Model 81 in 300 Savage. I am going to try this bullet in the 30-30 next.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Don't forget the 32 Remington is the twin.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Mold
    Good Afternoon Gentlemen. Guess I should consider myself lucky. Mine is a 1954 Winne in 32 WS, my birth year. Hand me down from my Grandfather. Although it is a carbine, it seems that a 6 inch steel plate at 100 yds doesn't stand a chance. Love the gun, miss the Grandfather.

30-30 has 1:10 ROT with deep cut rifling 32 WSP has 1:16 ROT and shallow cut rifling ,not the same in the Winchester 94 making the 32 Special an updated 32-40 and a superior cast bullet shooter to the 30-30.

Boolit Buddy
    Good shooting!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AOM View Post
    Good Afternoon Gentlemen. Guess I should consider myself lucky. Mine is a 1954 Winne in 32 WS, my birth year. Hand me down from my Grandfather. Although it is a carbine, it seems that a 6 inch steel plate at 100 yds doesn't stand a chance. Love the gun, miss the Grandfather.
    My carbine is of similar vintage and I am also a '54 BD. My Dad left it to me. It is a real shooter with cast boolits and I should shoot it more.

prs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast